Do people study when on end of year break (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering do people at uni study when they have holidays at end of the year?
or do they just relax..

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Relax.

Even asking whether people study during university will result in some interesting responses.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Usually they're busy with their jobs. I only tutor a few kids though, but teaching them probability is my "study/revision" for when I do stats this semester.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Holidays are about 4 months long. During this time, I try to cram my days with:

- Work
- Private students
- Swimming

And this is to avoid boredom. However, boredom eventually hits you anyway.

I relax for a month or so (all I really need anyway) and I passive-study for the rest of it.

Passive-study = One monitor with Facebook or a movie, one monitor with the textbook I'm using, the last one for some music. Sure its less productive than hardcoring it and just sitting at an empty desk with a textbook, but at least I don't burn out this way. It actually becomes quite enjoyable.

So I'm studying... but also enjoying myself if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm a bit strange, I don't know, but it works for me.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Study for what?

I don't. It's holidays. Be happy, go out, do stuff. Sleep, play Playstation all day, do whatever you want.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm studying, but only because I'm going into Honours, and have a fuckload of books to read.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Creative Arts. I know, it sounds easy, but the workload is huge.
I'm very curious regarding what studying for the Arts subjects involves. In Maths, you simply learn the content then do questions in a tutorial/textbook. I imagine that Arts would be very much different?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Study in this case is creating an annotated bibliography. Basically, summarising main arguments, important information and drawing links to other texts, for everything I'm reading.

I'm at roughly 20000 words for a months work.

delian

HSC
N/A
Many uni people I know just chill in the holidays.

rahrahreiby

HSC
I do Ancient History so there's a lot of reading to do. I always end up reading a few books related to the course before I go back - I just wouldn't have the time to do it otherwise.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
There are also Summer Courses at a lot of universities that students can do in order to either get ahead or catch up.

Sydney University do about a 10(?) week language course in a whole range of junk if there's the demand for it, at differing levels of aptitude. Most cost $300~ and you don't have to be enrolled at Sydney to attend.

Also werkin is good

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Can stuff you learnt in year 1 of your degree get assessed again in later years? Do you have to constantly revise what you learnt in earlier years to help you with course work in later years?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Can stuff you learnt in year 1 of your degree get assessed again in later years? Do you have to constantly revise what you learnt in earlier years to help you with course work in later years?
It becomes assumed knowledge.

kcqn93

HSC
For science subjects like maths, chem and physics, you'll need to revise.

Not too sure about other courses such as Arts and Law though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)