• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do we get to see our final "HSC exam marks" when we get our results back? (1 Viewer)

LachyLane

HSC
Every year on a specific day (don't know the date) every hsc student wakes up at 6am to get there atar score or overall marks.

What i'm curious to know is, do we receive what we got in the HSC exam?

Ie: Modern History - 86/100
History Extension - 46/50
English Paper 1 and Paper 2 - 90/105?

People always tell me different things, i'm unaware. Can someone clarify?

enoilgam

HSC
Every year on a specific day (don't know the date) every hsc student wakes up at 6am to get there atar score or overall marks.

What i'm curious to know is, do we receive what we got in the HSC exam?

Ie: Modern History - 86/100
History Extension - 46/50
English Paper 1 and Paper 2 - 90/105?

People always tell me different things, i'm unaware. Can someone clarify?
You get given three marks - internal, external (i.e. final exam) and the overall mark. The exam mark you recieve has been aligned.

MadGold777

HSC
With the external mark, say your coming first but got 10% in the exam will it show your result or whoever got first in the cohorts result? If you get what I mean...

enoilgam

HSC
With the external mark, say your coming first but got 10% in the exam will it show your result or whoever got first in the cohorts result? If you get what I mean...
If you get 10% in the exam, that will become your external mark. Everyone keeps their own external mark.

MadGold777

HSC
Ahhk, kinda confused were do the ranks come into play? Alligned? ATAR?

enoilgam

HSC
Ahhk, kinda confused were do the ranks come into play? Alligned? ATAR?
Ranks come into play for internal marks. The person ranked first will get the highest external mark as their internal mark, the same goes for the person ranked last. All marks in between a moderated accordingly.

LachyLane

HSC
Ranks come into play for internal marks. The person ranked first will get the highest external mark as their internal mark, the same goes for the person ranked last. All marks in between a moderated accordingly.
This is confusing me.... So wait, lets say example for English

-Ranking 7/60
-HSC exam mark 88/105
-Overall Mark 94

????????? Explain simply, what i really want to know is do i get to see what i got in my last exams!!! Like oh hey i passed this, or oh hey i aced that. ?

Bored as brew

HSC

-Ranking 7/60
-HSC exam mark 88/105
-Overall Mark 94

????????? Explain simply, what i really want to know is do i get to see what i got in my last exams!!! Like oh hey i passed this, or oh hey i aced that. ?
ok so you're 7th, the person who gets the 7th highest mark in external exams...that becomes you school assessment mark

oh and you get all results on 14th december

funnytomato

HSC

-Ranking 7/60
-HSC exam mark 88/105
-Overall Mark 94

the "exam mark" you get is gonna be the aligned mark of your raw mark, i.e. it wouldn't xx/105, which is your raw mark, but xx/100 for every subject

i think you need to pay to get your actual raw mark

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You get an aligned exam mark not your raw mark.

Your raw mark for instance might be 48/100 but aligned to a reported mark of 70.

Your assessment mark isn't necessarily the mark that the school sent into the BOS either as that mark is moderated using your class's exam marks.

What you get in December is a series of marks that have been aligned and moderated rather than the raw marks.

To find out your raw exam mark you will need to apply through Freedom of Information but this is now easier.

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
THis thread is confusing! With your ranks, say if you were ranked first for a subject, but then you stuffed up the HSC exam and got 46%. Would you get the first ranked hsc mark e.g 96%?? Or would you keep your shitty hsc mark?

LachyLane

HSC
You get an aligned exam mark not your raw mark.

Your raw mark for instance might be 48/100 but aligned to a reported mark of 70.

Your assessment mark isn't necessarily the mark that the school sent into the BOS either as that mark is moderated using your class's exam marks.

What you get in December is a series of marks that have been aligned and moderated rather than the raw marks.

To find out your raw exam mark you will need to apply through Freedom of Information but this is now easier.
Yes exactly!!! I don't just want to know my overall marks, i want to know if i got "92%" in the HSC Modern History exam or "74%" in the general maths exam. Apply through Freedom of information, how do i do that? Is it too late?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
THis thread is confusing! With your ranks, say if you were ranked first for a subject, but then you stuffed up the HSC exam and got 46%. Would you get the first ranked hsc mark e.g 96%?? Or would you keep your shitty hsc mark?
Internal mark with be the highest external marked achieved by whoever in your school doing that subject, external you will keep.

HOWEVER if it's a difference that large (of 50% or something as shown in your example) you will be considered an outlier and your mark will be calculated differently (not sure how).

---

And seriously, no point worrying about this now, just go do your best in your hsc exams, worrying about this now, during the final exams will just increase stress and you wont be able to concentrate properly.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes exactly!!! I don't just want to know my overall marks, i want to know if i got "92%" in the HSC Modern History exam or "74%" in the general maths exam. Apply through Freedom of information, how do i do that? Is it too late?
Apply after the hsc results are out, it's never too late, dont see what you'll accomplish by attaining those marks though.

smartalec

HSC
youre NEVER going to find out your raw marks.
Mark 1 = Internal Mark = if you came 7th, you get the 7th best EXAM mark in your school. so say your school performs like this:
98, 97, 94, 93, 92, 91, 90 ------> the 7th best mark is 90, so you get 90. It is an alligned mark - not a raw mark.

Mark 2 = External Mark = WHATEVER you got in the hsc exam. This mark isn't your raw mark, it gets changed into an alligned mark as well.
Mark 3 = overall mark, this is the average of mark 1 and mark 2. E.G. Internal Mark 90 and an external mark of 92 = overall mark of 91.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
youre NEVER going to find out your raw marks.
Mark 1 = Internal Mark = if you came 7th, you get the 7th best EXAM mark in your school. so say your school performs like this:
98, 97, 94, 93, 92, 91, 90 ------> the 7th best mark is 90, so you get 90. It is an alligned mark - not a raw mark.

Mark 2 = External Mark = WHATEVER you got in the hsc exam. This mark isn't your raw mark, it gets changed into an alligned mark as well.
Mark 3 = overall mark, this is the average of mark 1 and mark 2. E.G. Internal Mark 90 and an external mark of 92 = overall mark of 91.

You do NOT automatically get the exam mark that corresponds to the same rank as you - take your example - the 7th ranked person will NOT necessarily get the 7th highest exam mark as their internal mark.

The top exam mark becomes the top internal mark and the bottom exam mark becomes the bottom internal mark but the rest of the internal marks are determined through a process that includes maintaining the relative gaps sent in by the school e.g. the school sent in the 7th ranked person 1 mark behind the 6th which would make it unfair it that 7th ranked person was given an internal mark that didn't reflect that gap - so iit wouldn't be fair if the 7th exam mark was 10 marks lower than the 6th ranked exam and so the person who was one mark behind 6th by the school went to 10 marks behind because the 7th exam mark was that far behind. They keep the relative gaps and ranks - they are absolutely crucial

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)