Do we really care about english? (1 Viewer)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
^ Irony ??

lol

Idc what people say, I'm memorising my essay (advice from my tutor - state rank in Ext 1 and Ext 2 eng). But I'm going to relate it to the question :D

Yeah but 1. Ext 2 english doesn't require you to do an essay on the spot.
2. Ext 1 english questions are often a lot more samey from year to year than english advanced ones

SO advice that may hold for the extensions doesn't necessarily apply to advanced

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah but 1. Ext 2 english doesn't require you to do an essay on the spot.
2. Ext 1 english questions are often a lot more samey from year to year than english advanced ones

SO advice that may hold for the extensions doesn't necessarily apply to advanced
also standard. 3/4 of people in standard don't memorise essays.. they write on the spot.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm sorta a fence straddler when it comes to the whole memorising/not memorising debate. I have always been told not to memorise essays, so I never did, and I did reasonably well internally in my HSC, I came top 15 at a top 10 school, and was extremely happy with my mark. In the stuvac period, I decided to take a risk, and since most of my friends were doing it, I thought I would be a sheep and copy them, so I memorised my essays as well. I did exceptionally well in the HSC, I managed to get 98 external.

So, what does this mean? To be honest, I have no idea. Was I just lucky and managed to memorise essays which were exactly those in the question? Or was a I good at adapting my essays on the spot? I have no idea. And I will never know. So my best advice - do what you feel comfortable with. If you're typically a touch and go, adapt on the spot sort person, do that. If you're a memorising person, do that. Whatever you do - know that you have to answer the question at hand, either by writing your essay on the spot, or adapting your memorised essay to suit the question.

imZerroo

HSC
im basically an import but i have better grammar than most of the people who were born here.
if they wanna make it compulsory, they should focus more on the grammatical side rather than the bs about techniques.
also, please make it non- atar if you wanna make it compulsory.

interesting

HSC
N/A
im basically an import but i have better grammar than most of the people who were born here.
if they wanna make it compulsory, they should focus more on the grammatical side rather than the bs about techniques.
also, please make it non- atar if you wanna make it compulsory.
i agree. I donn't see when we're ever going to have to analyze texts to that much detail

powlmao

Banned
HSC
i agree. I donn't see when we're ever going to have to analyze texts to that much detail
That is why I am not the best at English because it is subjective. I like subjects which have one answer.

The only reason I care about english is because it will always count towards your atar.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
+1

Honestly, if it has so much effect on your results (and future), it becomes quite hard to just be like "I don't care".
I know. English isn't too hard (even though i do standard which i regret) it is just the detail you need to go into texts which are often boring.

payal01

HSC
I am studying english at the moment and all I am doing is improving my essays and and short story. My teacher told me if your memorising your essay you are just testing your luck. I reckon the module you know nothing of, its better to memorise that essay because at least you have some essay to answer the question with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)