Do you get criticism due to your music choices? (1 Viewer)

Do you get criticised for your music?

• Yes

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 50.0%

• Total voters

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yes! Doesn't necessarily happen to myself, but I couldn't imagine someone who is into heavy metal not get judged by other teens. Well at least at my school, no-one publicly listens to heavy metal.
I listened to metal from year 8 onwards and was never really called out on it because I wasn't on the bottom of the pecking order

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Yes! Doesn't necessarily happen to myself, but I couldn't imagine someone who is into heavy metal not get judged by other teens. Well at least at my school, no-one publicly listens to heavy metal.
i dunno maybe things have changed over the last 1 and a bit years since i left school, but pretty much *everyone* listened to heavy metal when i was in high school lol

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
i dunno maybe things have changed over the last 1 and a bit years since i left school, but pretty much *everyone* listened to heavy metal when i was in high school lol
This. Not neccesarily heavy metal, but metalcore and similiar genres have been extremely popular for awhile.

deloving

HSC
Too true actually.

Pete1555

HSC
It may just be my school, but most people mainly follow music trends, with only a handful actually exploring different types of music outside of the radio and the mainstream field. For myself, I'm into mostly rap/hip-hop with my fair share of rock songs, BUT I wouldn't be caught dead playing rock publicly. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I feel like in our day and age, you will constantly be judged if you don't follow the latest trends or what is seen to be appropriate.

However, I am completely against conformity and changing yourself to fit in etc... which is unfortunate, as most people do it which is quite patently sad.
inb4hypocrit.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
This. Not neccesarily heavy metal, but metalcore and similiar genres have been extremely popular for awhile.
Speaking of heavy metal, Black Sabbath are playing in Sydney tonight.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It may just be my school, but most people mainly follow music trends, with only a handful actually exploring different types of music outside of the radio and the mainstream field. For myself, I'm into mostly rap/hip-hop with my fair share of rock songs, BUT I wouldn't be caught dead playing rock publicly. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I feel like in our day and age, you will constantly be judged if you don't follow the latest trends or what is seen to be appropriate.

However, I am completely against conformity and changing yourself to fit in etc... which is unfortunate, as most people do it which is quite patently sad.
inb4hypocrit.
Have you seen the amount of people who go to Soundwave? Considering that kind of music doesn't get much "mainstream" exposure it is extremely popular. I guess it would depend on your school though, don't want to get into any stereotypes but a lot of nationalities are very unrepresented at those kind of festivals and presumably aren't into that kind of music.

Pete1555

HSC
Have you seen the amount of people who go to Soundwave? Considering that kind of music doesn't get much "mainstream" exposure it is extremely popular. I guess it would depend on your school though, don't want to get into any stereotypes but a lot of nationalities are very unrepresented at those kind of festivals and presumably aren't into that kind of music.
True, I guess you're right, every school/nationalities differ immensely.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
yes of course, but now people use it as a connotation for the popular dance music coming out of the US, faggot
Pretty much all the popular dance music coming out of the US is electro house. Of course that would come under EDM but it doesn't mean nothing else is EDM any more.

Tasteless

HSC
Though I have done the judgment on other people and believe that a lot of people only listen to mainstream pop because they don't know any better/haven't been exposed to more interesting things.
This is true though I think (for a lot of people, maybe some genuinely like it).
But there are people who actually think the top 40 (and past top 40s) is just about all there is going on music-wise. It's mind boggling but unless you actually search for broader stuff yourself online you aren't really going to be exposed to it so it's understandable.

Not gunna lie though, there are some deadbeat mainstreamy songs I find enjoyable as well though (and hate myself for it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)