Do you go to the lectures? (1 Viewer)

How much of the lectures of your course do you attend?

• 90 ~ 100%

Votes: 80 70.8%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • 50%

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • < 50%

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

klh

HSC
wow, ive never skipped unless ive had an excuse. plus most of my lectures though boring, are beneficial to my undestanding.
plus they are marking the roll this semester. x(

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
HAH! roll....well two of my subjects post lecture slides for us to read on blackboard, and the other subject hands out a lecture outline at the start and the subject is very easy

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Xayma said:
100% USYD.

Aero Engineering/Adv Physics and Maths.
Respect!!!
Aero engineering and adv phys and maths...what a genius total crazy psycho freak!! Thats the most insane combination i've ever heard.
I did elec engineering and Med sci for a year and then dropped med sci cause it was too much work...but, OMG, ur gonna be like einstein or something

I attend 75% of ma lectures, thats when the engineering stuff gets too gibberish

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't attend most lectures and still get decent marks.

Depends on the kind of subject i guess. Some have quite detailed lecture notes/slides or textbooks so you can pretty much learn yourself. Others (mainly in my experience many arts subjects) sometimes don't have a textbook or detailed notes, so lecture attendence is probally a good idea.

HSC
you should really go to the lectures. even though uts and som eother universities post their lectures online in pdf format etc.. they don't always put everything up. For chem last semester, the lecturer would only give you answers to sample question if you attended the lecture, if you didn't go.. you had to find out the hard way and risk getting the wrong answer.

Coming from a lazy person, last semester I screwed myself in 2 subjects because I didn't go to half of the lectures. Whilst some students can "teach" themselves, aren't you paying to be taught? I mean if I could teach myself I wouldn't bother with HECS and everything else.

HSC
Also I guess what subjects you're doing is a motivator. I suggest going to science lectures.. wouldn't have a clue about the content taught in humanities and business..

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
i went to all my lectures except the ones for biology. the lecturer kept reading off the slides - not really lecturing- so i just downloaded them and went through it myself.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Whether or not I go to a lecture depends on a number of different things... whether the notes are posted online (they usually are), how hard the subject is, whether I have to go to the lecture to understand the content, what time the lecture is on, what else I have on that day etc... but generally it comes down to basically whether the lecture is an effective use of my time Most of the time it is not, so I don't go.

Lecturers will tell you that people who go to lectures get better marks, and while that may be true in general, going to lectures can be completely irrelevant to determining marks depending on the subject. Last session I went to 2/13 lectures for one subject and 3/13 for another and got HD's in both of them.

My suggestion is not to just go to all the lectures for no real reason. Go to the first one or two and figure out of they are an effective use of your time. If not, don't go. If you get special bonuses for going to lectures, like answers to sample questions, factor that into your decision but don't automatically go to lectures because of it. I saved a good 60-70 hours by not going to lectures that I didn't need to go to last session. That is a lot of extra time that I was able to spend on more important things like assessments.

sarevok

HSC
It depends on the teacher. If the teacher is good I like to come to class.

Some of the lectures I have do impose attendance requirements, however a lot of lecturers are not strict on this.

lala2

Banned
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Whether or not I go to a lecture depends on a number of different things... whether the notes are posted online (they usually are), how hard the subject is, whether I have to go to the lecture to understand the content, what time the lecture is on, what else I have on that day etc... but generally it comes down to basically whether the lecture is an effective use of my time Most of the time it is not, so I don't go.

Lecturers will tell you that people who go to lectures get better marks, and while that may be true in general, going to lectures can be completely irrelevant to determining marks depending on the subject. Last session I went to 2/13 lectures for one subject and 3/13 for another and got HD's in both of them.

My suggestion is not to just go to all the lectures for no real reason. Go to the first one or two and figure out of they are an effective use of your time. If not, don't go. If you get special bonuses for going to lectures, like answers to sample questions, factor that into your decision but don't automatically go to lectures because of it. I saved a good 60-70 hours by not going to lectures that I didn't need to go to last session. That is a lot of extra time that I was able to spend on more important things like assessments.
QFT. But since I don't do any real revision at home and I lack self-motivation except stuvac and maybe if I'm lucky the last two weeks of semester, I attend all lectures. My lecturers generally aren't too bad, and if the lecturer's bad, well I'll just tune off. Also I get a minimum of three lectures a day and so far they've all been next to each other so there's no hanging around and so it's worth coming in. Plus I figured if you're gonna buy a weekly you might as well make the most of it. But obviously don't buy a weekly just to make yourself come if there's other useful things you could be doing.

The subjects are generally either hard or there's a lot of content to cover, so just being talked through it helps. Plus you get to make friends if you're in a tight knit course like I am. If not, unless you work all the time or you have friends who have mutual free times, you'll be stuck at home all the time, which is boring. But yeah, as you can tell I really am a die-hard attendee of lectures but ultimately the decision is up to you.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
lizziegirl said:
i went to all my lectures except the ones for biology. the lecturer kept reading off the slides - not really lecturing- so i just downloaded them and went through it myself.
This is my philosophy too. I generally go unless the lecturer is terrible, I find while it is not always that important to go it makes studying easier as I know what is going on in the tutes and it re-enforces what I have learnt in the readings. I find when I have been to the lectures I have to study to a lesser extent.

Keep in mind though everyone has there own learning style, I seem to be an auditory learner which means lectures and tutes are more effective for me than reading.

Just don't fall into the trap that all first years do,"No one makes me go or read so I wont" and then have to work your arse off to pass in the last week or stuvac (and macquarie doesn't even have stuvac!).

I would go for a few weeks and see how helpful it is for you, some uni's record their lectures online (like macquarie) which means if you do have to work you can still get the whole audio file. I still find it better being there as it forces you to study!

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I almost always go to lectures, because you know what the lecturer wants to emphasise/thinks is important based on how long they spend on a topic, and I've gotten pretty good at predicting exam content.

I've only had one unit where I didn't go to the lectures, and that was a maths subject where the lecturer just went over problems already explained in the text, so I'd study in the library instead of attending. And there were no problems on the exam anyway.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You'll have to decide for the subject/lecture yourself.

Like people have stated if its someone reading off slides, then fuck that off. If its more entertaining or engaging then spending that 1 hour in class may save you the hassle during stu-vac.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I go to my lectures for many reasons.

A) I actually enjoy what I'm studying and enjoy learning, hence I enjoy the lectures.
B) They're useful, and most of my classes don't have lecture notes anyway.
C) See A. If you're not interested in what you're studying, I have to ask why you're there in the first place?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)