Do you guys think a single commerce degree will get me a job straight away? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you guys think a single commerce degree will get me a job straight away?
Depends on major. Most people I know got graduate jobs in accounting or finance with a single Commerce degree straight away either through completing internships/vacation positions or applying for graduate programs. That being said, some companies and industries such as management consulting or investment banking have historically favoured people with certain combinations of degrees whether it be Comm/Law or something totally abstract which brings a lot of additional value to the table.

For a while now I wanted to do a commerce degree at university. Commerce degree's are only 3 years in duration. I was wondering if I could get a job in the marketing industry straight away after my commerce degree, it seems like so many other people are doing double degrees commerce/eco commerce/law commerce/eng etc...
Marketing on the other hand is a different story. Having multiple degrees may not necessarily increase your chances. I know a few people who got graduate offers in marketing but it's definitely a lot more challenging/competitive to land a graduate job than the typical accounting or finance majors because there just aren't that many positions. If you can, I'd focus more on getting experience, an internship or coop scholarship, and anything to differentiate yourself. There's a guide somewhere on BoS which was very interest regarding what marketing actually entails so I recommend you search for it- it'd be like 5 years old but still relevant.

Ultimately though, even in accounting or finance, as Omnipotence mentioned there is no guaranteed graduate job. I think that's the biggest realisation most people have between uni and full time work- that it's not just about a quantitative number(s) which determines your success or happiness anymore. It's you as a person.

kslevel

HSC
N/A
Re: Which University is best for marketing. UNSW, UMACQ, UTS

UNSW, good teaching staff

Cl324

HSC
N/A

UNSW for any business related degree

sghguos

HSC
N/A
If I wanted to go into UNSW commerce but I didnt make it, which one of these degrees?

If I wanted to go into UNSW commerce but I didnt make it, which one of these degrees.

If I wanted to do UNSW commerce but I didnt make it and got offers from

* UNSW B economics
* UTS B Business

* I want to transfer to B.comm after first year but I dont want to waste any credit points and graduate late. So if I go into UNSW B.economics is it possible to transfer into bachelor of commerce after first year with all credit points???

sghguos

HSC
N/A
USYD ECONOMICS VS UNSW ECONOMICS?

USYD ECONOMICS VS UNSW ECONOMICS?

also which degree is easier to get into.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
What do you think of this degree UTS. B. business/ B. science in IT???

What do you think of this degree UTS. B. business/ B. science in IT???

*The reason why im considering this degree, is because UTS B.business cut off is actually higher than UTS b. business/ b. science IT. WHY???

anyway im not that interested in computers and I am really bad with computers.

Do you think the 4 years in the double degree is worth it? Will I survive the computer part of the degree.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Re: If I wanted to go into UNSW commerce but I didnt make it, which one of these degr

unsw b economics.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Re: If I wanted to go into UNSW commerce but I didnt make it, which one of these degr

go into unsw economics. but if you want to transfer all your points, just make sure you only do the subjects that commerce students need too i.e. don't do stuff like econ1401, econ1202, micro2 and econometrics

kcqn93

HSC
Re: What do you think of this degree UTS. B. business/ B. science in IT???

You'll either really hate it or learn to live with the IT side.

If you want to do business then just do business. There would be no point in you getting an IT degree if you're not going to use it the future.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: USYD ECONOMICS VS UNSW ECONOMICS?

UNSW Economics for reasons which have been outlined in many other threads.

And the one that is easier to get into would have the lower ATAR cut-off.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

90% of the credits are the same in economics and almost every major in commerce is in economics

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Re: What do you think of this degree UTS. B. business/ B. science in IT???

You'll either really hate it or learn to live with the IT side.

If you want to do business then just do business. There would be no point in you getting an IT degree if you're not going to use it the future.
This.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Pretty much what everyone above said re: B Economics.

That being said, why are you set on UNSW B Commerce? Is it for the uni? Is it because you have friends there? Or just because B Commerce at UNSW sounds good? There is some merit to considering B Business at UTS but it depends on what you want to achieve because obviously the courses won't carry over so well if you're really only doing it as a stepping stone to get to UNSW B Comm, but if you just want to study business and get a job in the field, UTS isn't such a bad option either.

Mitchillio

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: USYD ECONOMICS VS UNSW ECONOMICS?

I really doubt there's any significant difference, just pick which you'd like to go to based on location, societies, etc. Check the cut-offs for which is easier, what kind of question is that?

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad

UNSW is good,
But Macq isn't too bad either high employment rate and its accredited by AMI which UTS isn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)