Do you hate mature age students? (1 Viewer)

onemind

HSC
Hi all,

Just wondering what people think about mature age students? I am planning on going back to study in 2008 and will be 24 years old. I'm not sure if i am just kidding myself and i am too old and should just keep working. Do mature age students get a decent education and work in their fields generally or are they just a waste of space? Would be very interested in hearing from mature age students and their experience or from school leavers who secretly despise them and grumble whenever they see one :)

Sorry if this is a silly question, am just trying to be a bit more real with my decision to go back, either that or i am just chickening out :p

Thanks for any advice.

:)

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
onemind said:
Hi all,

Just wondering what people think about mature age students? I am planning on going back to study in 2008 and will be 24 years old. I'm not sure if i am just kidding myself and i am too old and should just keep working. Do mature age students get a decent education and work in their fields generally or are they just a waste of space? Would be very interested in hearing from mature age students and their experience or from school leavers who secretly despise them and grumble whenever they see one :)

Sorry if this is a silly question, am just trying to be a bit more real with my decision to go back, either that or i am just chickening out :p

Thanks for any advice.

:)
I'm a school leaver and I actually quite like the mature age students, they're great in groupwork because (unlike most of the students) they actually do what they say they will :p I don't know, I personally just prefer the more mature level of communication you get with older people.
No one I know really dislikes them but that's just at my uni and my friends.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
47.46.45 said:
I'm a school leaver and I actually quite like the mature age students, they're great in groupwork because (unlike most of the students) they actually do what they say they will :p I don't know, I personally just prefer the more mature level of communication you get with older people.
No one I know really dislikes them but that's just at my uni and my friends.
*removed*

Sam, you must admit it was kinda weird when that 50yo lady came and sat with us to ask about our torts marks. After you guys left it was just me, Alex and her and it was just awkward silence:p

To the OP. You're only 24 so you shouldn't have trouble fitting in in my opinion. It's when you're in your 50's and try and hang with recent school leavers that stuff feels a bit weird:p

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah i dont mind mature age students....theyve got every right to be at uni than school leavers...plus, i think theyre more willing to work their asses off, but thats from what ive saw last year.

Conspirocy

HSC
i know of mature age students who finished their degree and got work in what they studied.

I worked in accounting firm in the holidays and there are two mature age students who had just started as 'graduates'. This was at a Big 4 firm, so I guess they had done will for themselves. They were both around 30. So yeah you definetly are not kidding yourself.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I've met a few who were the most God damned annoying people I've ever met. There's the guy in one of my classes this year who continually asks the abominably moronic questions, and just doesn't get the point. "So is it benzene alcohol?" Oh dear. I bring this up because I have similar experiences in two other classes, where the same stupid comments are made.

Of course, on the other hand, that type of mature age student isn't really all that common. For every jerkwad above, there's about three or so pretty cool mature age students. They're loud, and they generally get their work done and ask a lot of questions. If they're smart and friendly, it'll work well. If they're not really that sort, oh boy, that's not cool.

So, like...don't ask dumb questions.

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
hey not that anynoe will really care bout this, but this yr we had 2 ppl come back 2 our High school who had dropped out and decided 2 come back and i speak for nearly every1 from yr12 at my school - HOLY FUCK< THEY WERE SOO ANNOYING!!!
1 was hardly eva there and the otha wanted so much attention to catch up on the yr b4s work, she EXPECTED specail treatment and was a back stabbing bitch and she used the line of "Im 19 and i do ... (blah blah blah) on top of school, my boyfriend is a student teacher (like any1 cares!) and im here 2 learn" she got pissed off if sum1 talked a little, she set her own rules and work. evry1 got to the point where they told her to shut up cos we were there for the same reason, only we had the will power to not drop out..... needless to say, she only sayed about a month or 2!!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
*BIRDIE* said:
hey not that anynoe will really care bout this, but this yr we had 2 ppl come back 2 our High school who had dropped out and decided 2 come back and i speak for nearly every1 from yr12 at my school - HOLY FUCK< THEY WERE SOO ANNOYING!!!
1 was hardly eva there and the otha wanted so much attention to catch up on the yr b4s work, she EXPECTED specail treatment and was a back stabbing bitch and she used the line of "Im 19 and i do ... (blah blah blah) on top of school, my boyfriend is a student teacher (like any1 cares!) and im here 2 learn" she got pissed off if sum1 talked a little, she set her own rules and work. evry1 got to the point where they told her to shut up cos we were there for the same reason, only we had the will power to not drop out..... needless to say, she only sayed about a month or 2!!
umm yeah uni is different to highschool:p

onemind

HSC
Thanks all for the comments. Looks like i'm heading back to school :)

If they're not really that sort, oh boy, that's not cool.

So, like...don't ask dumb questions.
I am well aware of the school leaver perception of mature age stdents sitting up the front and asking retarded questions. Lucky for me i'm an introverted genius so i doubt i'll have that problem :p jk..

T

trolloutaface

I generally like mature aged students. They're very helpful too and don't mind asnwering your questions etc.

but some are so fucking annoying.

Like I'd sit down on a stool or something and listen to music, trying to relax or go to sleep...and they'd come and sit next to me and start complaining about how hard it is for them to complete uni work and how they're a single parent or whatever. They have nothing else to talk about.

I don't know why I'm telling you this.

.'. I only hate mature aged students who complain 24-7 :/

X

xeuyrawp

I think I speak for most people when I say that:

a) Generally speaking, mature age students work a lot harder, read everything, and usually get better marks, but,
b) don't know how to shut up in class.

circusmind

HSC
You're only 24, I doubt you'll even be distinguishable from the rest of the students.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think I speak for most people when I say that:

a) Generally speaking, mature age students work a lot harder, read everything, and usually get better marks, but,
b) don't know how to shut up in class.
Makes class go faster.

And yes, I like the mature age students. They do work, they're mature, friendly. Like anyone, there's bad eggs, but that's the person, not the group.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
if you're thinking of going back to uni, do it. why let anyone's opinion as to mature age students influence your decision?

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
I know/ seen people that go to uni that are like 40. My own brother still goes to uni part time and his 23.
So theres nothin wrong with you going to uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)