Do you like english (1 Viewer)

DO YOU LIKE ENGLISH (THE SUBJECT)

• Total voters

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i know that but i thought in the posts more people would be saying "maths is a more worthwhile subject" or something along those lines i dodn't even realise what i typed last time lols i am really sleep deprived lols (30mins last night o.O) lols no but didn't think more people would actually say they like english at my school it is easily the most hated subject then followed by maths. Lols and it was brought up in a discussion on the news report tonight that parents are petitioning that english not be a mandatory subject as for it possess no real purpose in life.

CSundstrom

HSC
English is fun!
I like creative and poetry the best.
Nothing like writing a fun piece of work and submitting it to some shady online literary magazine.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmm, I tend to suck at English. A lot. I enjoy the reading bit though...

bored of sc

HSC
I dislike english due to my performance. In terms of content, skills and processes it's not a bad subject. But I selected no (hate english) in the poll.

bored of sc

HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
Me lyk teh engrish. Engrish ist phun.
Haha, drop the facade x.Exhaust.x. You know you like and perform in english.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
the-derivative said:
Me much lyk comment on Engrish. HAHA LOL ROFL ^.^

See even though I don't particularly like English, I still think it is very important - I mean... I'd hate to have to speak to people like that everyday...
LOL well replied Nathan :D.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
I dislike english due to my performance. In terms of content, skills and processes it's not a bad subject. But I selected no (hate english) in the poll.
I am shocked. You have a heart of gold in English bored of sc. Even my tutor Bobness always mentions you. I don't know how hard English is marked at your school, but it seems rough...

5233andy

HSC
I personally don't enjoy creative writing - my marks fluctuate consistently, based on creative writing. I achieved 14/15 for a recent story as part of an assessment task. On the other-hand, as an in class task, I achieved 8/15 which is obviously shocking.

I'd say that my primary interest in English would be analytical essays - they tend to be boring at first, but when you delve into the minute constituents of the essay - as in your ideas and whatnot, you, or I experience a gratifying sense; perhaps it may be a revelation of the complexity of humans and the psychology behind it. Either way, most of my essays for this year centre around this notion, either directly or indirectly.

I should state that my performance in English is only mediocre, as is the same with EE1. One of my teachers said that I'm very talented at English, but personally, based on my marks, there's always room for improvement.

[I really should be studying for tomorrow's Biology exam]

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
English has too much writing and analyzing is pretty much another word for bullshiting.

Lyly

HSC
I like English because it allows you baffle people with all those complex words and manipulate them into doing things your way LOL :D :p

jules.09

HSC
kaz1 said:
English has too much writing and analyzing is pretty much another word for bullshiting.
I would say that you have a choice, when writing the essay, to express your opinion. As opposed to b'sing.

You know, if you had to talk about a film that was obviously American propaganda, you don't have to say," no it was a fair portrayal of 9/11 because they didn't over emphasise the music etc", you can say, "no it was propaganda with a strict agenda to convince the audience of sympathy for the Americans etc."

It's not really b'sing then is it.

Unlike visual arts essays. Art essays are pure crap.

HSC
English is alright....

I seem to do okay in it, and am usually baffled by why

I'm terrible with creative though. I just can't do it.

5233andy

HSC
kaz1 said:
But it wouldn't be English if you didn't have to write or analyse. Though I do admit that in many circumstances in English, you do tend to make things up. But the fact is that English is driven by one's opinion. If you're able to portray this in a sophisticated manner, you're basically fine.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
jules.09 said:
I would say that you have a choice, when writing the essay, to express your opinion. As opposed to b'sing.

You know, if you had to talk about a film that was obviously American propaganda, you don't have to say," no it was a fair portrayal of 9/11 because they didn't over emphasise the music etc", you can say, "no it was propaganda with a strict agenda to convince the audience of sympathy for the Americans etc."

It's not really b'sing then is it.

Unlike visual arts essays. Art essays are pure crap.
so true i never studied for art once last year cause i just requires the ability to reason bullshit eg . The red short strokes of turner's brush work suggest anger to the audience adn empahises the title "The Angry Painter". See i bullshitted and i would obtain a fair amount of marks for that question.

jules.09

HSC
marcquelle said:
so true i never studied for art once last year cause i just requires the ability to reason bullshit eg . The red short strokes of turner's brush work suggest anger to the audience adn empahises the title "The Angry Painter". See i bullshitted and i would obtain a fair amount of marks for that question.
I recently did my visual art prelim written exam, and well I'm dropping it even though I can do decently in both the theory and practical component. It's just, I don't believe a single bit of what the art course is meant to be about and not too appreciative of art history.

So for section 2 I chose this question that talked about "a change in audience changes the artwork's meaning" and went on about:

1. How we make assumptions about the past even though there is a definite paradigm shift from past to present. We can't just conjecture and affirm what art theory authors write as absolute truth.
2. Primitives weren't exactly primitive, but it was due to their lack of resources, their culture was different, and just because we've seen the face of scientific advancement doesn't make our civilisation any better.
3. Sometimes you make art with no other intention other than to achieve the zenith of visual aesthetics. i.e. there is no strange hidden meaning. Not everything is imbued with a political agenda. Honestly.

So yes. What. An. Essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)