• No

Votes: 142 30.1%

• Total voters

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
ratcher0071 said:
What about quadratics? :D
With quadratics - there is only one answer consisting of the two possible values which x can take. You will not have the correct answer unless you provide both values. Therefore - still only one solution.

Continuum said:
There's still only 1 answer to it. Don't try to be a smartass...
+1

shaon0

HSC
for every real value isnt there an infinite number of unreal values? So isn't it possible to get more than one solution to a problem?

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
bawd said:
Like most people on this forum, I like Mathematics because it is entirely objective and logical. I really dislike Mathematics when it gets really complex however, and I get clouded by using complex methods when in reality the solution is something that is simple and straightforward. But, Mathematics is good.
Don't you just hate it when you do 1-2 pages of working out and the answer ends up being 0 or 1? That's annoying :(

Gay Captain

HSC
What if the question is Prove Pythagoras' Theorem

then there's dozens of answers

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Don't you just hate it when you do 1-2 pages of working out and the answer ends up being 0 or 1? That's annoying :(
Get ready for that in conics, sometimes you prove lines intersecting at right angles and you can't use triangles/geoemtric proofs to do it :)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
tommykins said:
Get ready for that in conics, sometimes you prove lines intersecting at right angles and you can't use triangles/geoemtric proofs to do it :)
Aren't they taking it out of the 2009 HSC exam?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
:bomb:And I was celebrating...
Hahaha, don't worry, we're all in the same boat, up shit creek without a paddle. ;)

Gay Captain

HSC
the-derivative said:
As we've said before.. that's a proof question, there are many ways to prove one solution, that being Pythagoras' theorem - there's only one Pythagoras' theorem.
well not really, the generalised form for inner product spaces looks nothing like what you learn in year 8

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
LOL - yeah you're right, it is in 2010.

heard they're bringing back multiple choice to Maths (all levels) according to my maths coordinator.

*shakes fist* Rage.
Again, BOS lowers the standards down...

shaon0

HSC
tommykins said:
Nah I think the new syllabus is in 2010.
What i heard is that they are taking out conics for DEs in 4unit in 2009 and putting in statistics in 2010.
Is this true? because they have a draft syllabus stating that DEs will be put into the 4unit syllabus in place of conics but don't state when.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)