Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

4theHSC

HSC
I think it is absolutely frakking stupid that it said "ONE" because the syllabus says you need 2 supplementry texts.
I wrote 2 anyway. The douches can read it, and not mark it. I answered the question though, and I hope that they reflect one the vast number of people that wrote about 2.
I am going to jump and get those notes when they're on the board of studies and see if it's mentioned.
agreed.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I asked my teacher, the person above asked the exam supervisor, another person asked their english teacher.
The exam supervisor shouldn't know shit all about English, or any other exam for that matter.

Our exam supervisor was fucking up on the administration aspect....didn't know what the fuck to write in the box on the front page.

HSC
Uni Grad
Good job heli.copter I didnt memorise the essay, just quotes and made sure I knew important points. Really could do without feeling even worse, though sorta deserve it for not readin the Q.

tonyharrison

HSC
The exam supervisor shouldn't know shit all about English, or any other exam for that matter.

Our exam supervisor was fucking up on the administration aspect....didn't know what the fuck to write in the box on the front page.
Hey it wasn't my exam supervisor...it was someone elses...

All i know for sure is, my english teacher marks english exams and she said you wouldn't lose marks.

And i'm sorry you got a shit supervisor but it doesn't mean they all were...

heli.copter

HSC
honestly i hate it when people are like

"OMG IM SO GLAD I DIDNT DO TWO"

who fucking cares. its over. and i HATE it when people say that its because you memorised. more than half the state memorises, and if you actually just "wing" it like this tommy guy, well, hopefully your lucky, but that also doesnt mean your smarter than those that prepare. if you prepare an essay you should have knowledge of your texts, but its the fact that you have such a good flow going with your other related that, its harder to chop it down.

honestly to fuck, do not say tha people who have memorised essays, deserve to be punished because of this. i cam fucking first in my entire grade, and every other person including myself memorised it. the state has been preapring for AOS with always two related.

just deal with it. and stop being so damn smug about the fact you wrote one. :chainsaw:

:) goodluck to you all though

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

im so glad i didn't do 2

Last edited:

4theHSC

HSC
I think it is absolutely frakking stupid that it said "ONE" because the syllabus says you need 2 supplementry texts.
I wrote 2 anyway. The douches can read it, and not mark it. I answered the question though, and I hope that they reflect one the vast number of people that wrote about 2.
I am going to jump and get those notes when they're on the board of studies and see if it's mentioned.
agreed.

heli.copter

HSC
aww tommykins.

you knwo whats so sad

youve finished your hsc yet your commenting on this years exams

god. i suggest you get to uni.

or even better.

get a life (Y)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
aww tommykins.

you knwo whats so sad

youve finished your hsc yet your commenting on this years exams

god. i suggest you get to uni.

or even better.

get a life (Y)
oMG that was SOOO funny.

can we have another ?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hmmm....

all my teachers said that they will be rather lenient in terms of marking. if 1/3 of people did this, I reckon they will just overlook the issue.

4theHSC

HSC
agreed.

Nª!j∂♫

HSC

yup, pretty much.
all of the supervisors in my exam were like parents and people from our P&C..
tried to ask a question to one and got him all worried,
he had to run up the front and make sure he was allowed to tell me anything..
it wasn't major, but still. made me laugh. :]

septic.

HSC
to be very honest.. i think it's only fair you get deducted marks if u do more than one because:

1) even though i had a memorised essay with 3 related texts, I managed to write a really shit roughly 800 word essay and its not fair that someone who writes on 2 with a lot less depth gets more marks than me
2) you completely ignored the question and showed u depend purely on memory...the question probably was very purposely worded that way to break the memory habit

sorry but i think its only fair :/
well said. i said the precise thing to some other stupid girl who said that 'her teacher' had told her that if you use two related texts, you get more marks; um, no, you DUMBSHIT, if it says one, you get marked on one. stupid people like that make me rage.
but yeah, my essay normally would be 2 paragraphs on each text, around 1100 words. but seeing as i cut out one text, it was prob between 900-1000.

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC
i think they'll possibly just overlook the other related text and just mark the first one mentioned in the introduction. i'd imagine a maximum of 2 marks could be taken off for that.

to all the people who say 'but everyone memorises their essays': part of the point of HSC english is to develop the skills to write essays on the spot. that is part of what is being assessed. if you haven't developed that skill, that's your problem. the markers won't sympathise with you just because you didn't read the question properly.
you had 10 minutes reading time, and it was clearly stated IN CAPITALS to refer to only ONE related text. yes, everyone was under pressure and yes, it was most peoples' first exam, but that's irrelevant. they ask a question, you answer it. they don't take anything other than your answer into consideration.
that's the HSC. that's life.
get over it and focus on the rest of your exams instead of worrying about what you can't change.

septic.

HSC
i think they'll possibly just overlook the other related text and just mark the first one mentioned in the introduction. i'd imagine a maximum of 2 marks could be taken off for that.

to all the people who say 'but everyone memorises their essays': part of the point of HSC english is to develop the skills to write essays on the spot. that is part of what is being assessed. if you haven't developed that skill, that's your problem. the markers won't sympathise with you just because you didn't read the question properly.
you had 10 minutes reading time, and it was clearly stated IN CAPITALS to refer to only ONE related text. yes, everyone was under pressure and yes, it was most peoples' first exam, but that's irrelevant. they ask a question, you answer it. they don't take anything other than your answer into consideration.
that's the HSC. that's life.
get over it and focus on the rest of your exams instead of worrying about what you can't change.
+1
this is why i ALWAYS tell people, DON'T memorise your essays. remember points that you can meld and play around with when it comes to the essay question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)