• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do You Support the Death Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters
X

xeuyrawp

brogan77 said:
Bob kills 3 people.. he gets sentenced to death. Whilst on death row, he kills 2 guards with a gun.. What are they going to do, sentence him to death, twice over?
Yeah, because they let people on death-row just walk around and kill people.

davin

HSC
N/A
the prison system isn't for rehabilitation. if it can do that, great...but i think of it as to keep people that are danagerous out of the general populace

Generator

HSC
N/A
davin said:
the prison system isn't for rehabilitation. if it can do that, great...but i think of it as to keep people that are danagerous out of the general populace
Ah, our system of justice is underpinned by the notion of rehabilitation - if it wasn't, why would most prisoners be released after a time under the assumption that they have served their sentence and that they are ready to re-enter general society?

riot_girl88

HSC
Don't our taxes go towards gaol keeping etc? I'm not sure I would like to put my money on keeping a serial killer alive in an already over-crowded cell when there is 1 in a million chance that this person can change.[/quote]

No its actually been shown that it costs more when an offender is on death row. coz of the legal appeals and stuff. so yea and its also morally wrong. Who r we to have control over another persons life?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
i got a better idea, give them the tng412 or something it makes them swell up - i think its a painful death and gud for science?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ihavenothing said:
I'm sure you'd enjoy us making jokes about a certain prophet. Oops, double standards we cant because he was holy.
makes jokes of whoever u want... i dont give a fuck.

ps: i thin indirectly ur referring to the cartoons, those werent jokes, they were addressing 'serious' issues and as a result had serius complications.

ps1.1: ur a dickhead (i want my avatar back).

davin

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Ah, our system of justice is underpinned by the notion of rehabilitation - if it wasn't, why would most prisoners be released after a time under the assumption that they have served their sentence and that they are ready to re-enter general society?
same reason that in some sporting events, if you break a rule, you're removed from the game for a while, then let back in.

the point is that you don't commit crimes because there is a punishment for it you don't want to deal with. there's plenty of laws you don't break, not because you don't want to break them, but because you don't want the penalty that goes with it.

Generator

HSC
N/A
davin said:
same reason that in some sporting events, if you break a rule, you're removed from the game for a while, then let back in.

the point is that you don't commit crimes because there is a punishment for it you don't want to deal with. there's plenty of laws you don't break, not because you don't want to break them, but because you don't want the penalty that goes with it.

I didn't know that rehabilitation and punishment were mutually exclusive, davin.

davin

HSC
N/A
well, then i'd also ask, do you disagree with life in prison as well, because that's not rehabilitating for a re-entry into society?

Generator

HSC
N/A
davin said:
well, then i'd also ask, do you disagree with life in prison as well, because that's not rehabilitating for a re-entry into society?
Ah, though some sentences suggest that there is no hope for rehabilitation, this isn't to suggest that the system doesn't operate on a basis of punishment and rehabilitation (and prevention, of course).

davin

HSC
N/A
the basis is punishment though....not rehabilitation, even though rehabilitation is a part of it. Otherwise, we wouldn't have sentences that involve no rehabilitation at all.

Gangels

HSC
As much as it may be a great deterent, do you think there is any justice in killing someone? Does anyone truly deserve to be killed. There is no way in hell i would ever support that shit in my life.........well maybe for my english teacher

MRCUNT

Banned
HSC
N/A
Gangels said:
As much as it may be a great deterent, do you think there is any justice in killing someone? Does anyone truly deserve to be killed. There is no way in hell i would ever support that shit in my life.........well maybe for my english teacher
thats interesting, so its alrite to kill animals but not other humans? wat have animals done wrong? after humans and animals are in my perspective the same, we arent much different, they argue that we are smarter, but are we?

we still are greedy, get diseases, and learn things. animals learn things, as well but its easier for them to learn from their own species.

so i there is justice in killin in somone. justice is all in the name of good vs bad. kill bad people - thats justice isnt it? why not? i lot people deserved to be killed, thats why saddam hasbeen murdering and massacring people. because he 'thought' they deserved it.

Mando

HSC
I think that the death penalty is almost hypocritical - kill someone for killing someone else? it's confusing really, because do they deserve to die even if the person in question has killed someone else? Damn science morality.

Jiga

so i there is justice in killin in somone. justice is all in the name of good vs bad. kill bad people - thats justice isnt it? why not? i lot people deserved to be killed, thats why saddam hasbeen murdering and massacring people. because he 'thought' they deserved it.
There is a distinct difference between Saddam Hussain massacring thousands and some mass murderer who kills dozens..... Saddam did it because they were his opponents etc, there was no justice in that at all..... a mass murderer does it because they are mentally deranged and IF they somehow get out of jail, they will kill or offend again.... there are to many cases of this Im afraid. That was a very poor comparison.

So someone for example who rapes and kills dozens of woman in your mind doesnt deserved to be killed? You either live in a bubble and have no idea about the freaks that are out their in this world or you are a complete fairy.

As for you there is no justice in killing someone, I believe their is, if they decided to cut short numerous lives in this world, in the most horrific fashion... than why do they deserve to still live in a prison and have SOME sought of life AND the potential in Australia at least to one day get out and re-offend?

Ive been in this debate before and I really couldnt be bothered going to much into this as I have in the past with far more intellectual opponents....... but I personally believe that in the most extreme of cases, where usually it is obvious they 100% committed the crime due to the damning evidence, such as a mass murderer, they should be executed. It is ONLY in such circumstances that I believe this sought of thing should occur.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I agree with some of the things that are said... but what do you do serious criminals? put them in an institution where they kill others?

I agree there is no way to "punish" someone so criminal as to commit a violent crime on a little kid...

These people need to be taken off the earth... even if it means killing them... as humanely as possible....

Trillium

HSC
I have a purely selfish reason for disagreeing with the death penalty (in principle- i haven't actually been in a situation where i had to actually decide)
and that reason is... i wouldn't want to be like them. If taking a life is so disgusting, so ugly, why lower ourselves to that level?
Of course, the question is what else do you do with them? Prisons don't seem to be such a good idea, if you take a humanitarian point of view, and rehabilitation doesn't always work.
So, practically, it seems to be one of the 'better' solutions.

I like my moral hihgh ground, and i'd like to stick to it. But i guess in the real world, the moral high ground isn't always so high as we'd like it to be.

I don't support the death penalty, but i can't offer any feasible alternatives in some cases, except gaol and rehabilitation. *shrugs* So, i guess i can't really talk.
~Trill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)