• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do You Support the Death Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters

aHostnik

HSC
llamalope said:
Although the thought of the death penalty scares me like hell (from my recent trip overseas which went via malaysia "any person caught with drugs will face the mandatory death penalty"), I do not think it is the right answer. Sure, it would be one way to get rid of the overcrowding in gaols, however, if you think about it in a non-religious sense (minus the whole hell debate) Death is the easy way out. You execute somebody for murder of the like, and their pain is over in under a minute (I don't know exact statistics, so don't pull me up on that).... but if you enforce a "never to be released" or "life" sentence, then they have to live in a small, shitty little cell for the rest of their life. In actual fact... that thought scares me much more than death
you say this but time and time again, life sentences are reduced, so the bastards end up walking free if they murder someone, knowing what they are doing, they deserve to rot in hell as far as i'm concerned, and we should send them there asap!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
aHostnik said:
you say this but time and time again, life sentences are reduced, so the bastards end up walking free if they murder someone, knowing what they are doing, they deserve to rot in hell as far as i'm concerned, and we should send them there asap!
but they dont get to suffer, i guess jail is too gud a place for them. best place for criminals is to dump in antarctica with no food, no clothes etc. thats gud, that they we didnt kill em, it was a natural death.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
I wouldn't support the death penalty in any circumstance. In a way u become just as bad as the person commiting the crime . If a crime was severe enough, I believe that the person should be locked away for life without this reduced sentence bulshit. To those who believe that life imprisonment wouldn't be enough if a crime was heinous enough, take the example of a animal hit by a car but still alive. If u were a half decent person you would put it out of its misery. That's exactly what the death penalty does. Let them torment over the crime in jail for the rest of their lives.

sly fly

HSC
^How did you come to the conclusion that you become just as bad as the person committing the crime?

and as for being gaol being really bad......I heard that these days they have playstations in gaols :s

don't know how true that is

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
my personal opinion, and im really open to change it because im not exactly passionate on the matter.

i support the death penalty when it comes to crimes that have been proven extensively that there is no coming back to social norm. For example, serial killers, serial pedophiles, and I'm a bit hesitant to say pedaphiles in general... not only that I've probably spelt it wrong, but also the extreme ones, such as a 42 year old man preying on a 3 year old...

not even. Think about you as a parent - and you child being raped/sexually abused. I know a parent that was in that circumstance - he explained to me he felt his meaning in life had been stolen from him. All this time, effort, money, life into his 9 year old daughter was completely stolen and tainted.

Back to the extreme, less contraversial cases, as my understanding goes, punishment leaves room for discipline - that a person can take time out and rethink their values, truly understand what they've done. I do not feel that serial killers could ever be cured.

Don't our taxes go towards gaol keeping etc? I'm not sure I would like to put my money on keeping a serial killer alive in an already over-crowded cell when there is 1 in a million chance that this person can change.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
well u are essentially murdering some when carrying out the death penalty bar the fact that the law allows it

im really sickened by that fact, if its true..its a jail for gods sake not a day care centre : /

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The death penalty actually costs more than keeping a prisoner for life, due to legal fees.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
withoutaface said:
The death penalty actually costs more than keeping a prisoner for life, due to legal fees.
oh!

then my mind has changed.

davin

HSC
N/A
i'm all for the death penalty as an option (not neccessarily mandatory) in cases of murder. speaking from the view of an agnostic that in no way believes there is an afterlfie, the lives we have now are the ONLY thing we ever will have. to take that away from someone else means that i don't think you should get to live teh rest of your life. esp as many DON'T feel guilty for what they've done.
i don't see it as cruel so long as it is established that if you williningly take someone's life and the conditions warrant, you give up your right to life as well.

the idea that its also murder to execute......do you also feel that its wrong to imprison people that are convicted of kidnapping, cuz you're doing the same thing, sort of? the difference is when the gov't says "do this, and there is this penalty" it is different from a single person deciding to kill another for some reason.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Schroedinger said:
"I'm pro death penalty but anti-abortion".

Yeah you make sense.
I didnt realise all infants were born with a serious criminal record

HSC
N/A
I think it's better to make the fuckers sit around in jail and waste their lives away slowly, painfully, hopefully in guilt.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Dear Citizens,
We murder those who murder,
to show we do not tolerate murder
Sincerely,
The State.

davin

HSC
N/A
Anti-Mathmite said:
- agnostics don't know whether there is or isn't anything. If you are certain that there isn't any after life, than you're an atheist.
- taking away someones life? Like... chucking them in prison for the remainder of their life for example?
i've got no clue on god, don't figure there's a way to tell, but belief in god or not doesn't directly mean i have to believe in afterlife or not.

and how is letting them live taking away life? there is a lot that they're allowed to do while in prison, not to mention the fact that, while prison isn't really the best life imaginable, its far better than being dead.

again, soo.... shoudln't the gov't not be allowed to arrest or imprison someone? in arresting someone, they're taking them against their will, which is kidnapping, and to then keep them in jail is holding someone against their will. those are both crimes, therefore, the entire prison system is defunct because its really saying, don't commit crimes because you'll be kidnapped and held against your will. oh the hypocracy.

to say that the death penalty is murder is to misapply the term. if your attitude is that death penalty is murder, (which is by definition unlawful and inhumane) and that you can't differentiate between the death penalty and murder, then how can one claim to differentiate between murder, capital punishment, manslaughter, self-defence, abortion, or euthenasia?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
i've got no clue on god, don't figure there's a way to tell, but belief in god or not doesn't directly mean i have to believe in afterlife or not.

and how is letting them live taking away life? there is a lot that they're allowed to do while in prison, not to mention the fact that, while prison isn't really the best life imaginable, its far better than being dead.

again, soo.... shoudln't the gov't not be allowed to arrest or imprison someone? in arresting someone, they're taking them against their will, which is kidnapping, and to then keep them in jail is holding someone against their will. those are both crimes, therefore, the entire prison system is defunct because its really saying, don't commit crimes because you'll be kidnapped and held against your will. oh the hypocracy.

to say that the death penalty is murder is to misapply the term. if your attitude is that death penalty is murder, (which is by definition unlawful and inhumane) and that you can't differentiate between the death penalty and murder, then how can one claim to differentiate between murder, capital punishment, manslaughter, self-defence, abortion, or euthenasia?
lol
only thing there is when a police arrest u its legal, when u 'arrest' someone its illegal,
all got to do with the law
which takes into context
i still suggest antarctica if there are no bears, then maybe the penguins will eat them./

davin

HSC
N/A
and when the gov't executes someone its legal, and when someone murders someone else its illegal

and there's soemthing extremely ironic with hotshot using the "lets send criminals somewhere else" arguement

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The difference being that if they are dead, they can't kill any more people? If they are in gaol and still exposed to people, than they can.
Mathmite you're aware that the point you were trying to raise was that giving people life means that you're saying that kill 1 person or killing 300 is an equal crime - brogan showed how your example was stupid - cry more.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
and when the gov't executes someone its legal, and when someone murders someone else its illegal

and there's soemthing extremely ironic with hotshot using the "lets send criminals somewhere else" arguement
lol thats what happened to Australia britain dumping all th eir criminals here. but it did wonders, can it happen in antarctica?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)