• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you support the Government's upgrade of Australia's broadband infrastructure (1 Viewer)

Do you support the upgrade of Australia's Broadband Internet Infrastructure

• Total voters

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The main points to be made here are:
1. It will cost consumers $200 a month. People won't pay that shit.
2. Telstra could have done it for almost an order of magnitude less. Who gives a fuck if they price gouge a bit, it's still going to be a LOT cheaper than the government's proposal.

writer'sblock

HSC
IT will not cost $200/month, that is an accusation made by the opposition for a cheap comeback without evidence, it has been projected by BP Parabas, that it will be far less that; on the ABC on Lateline (8th of April) and analyst from Macquaire Bank predictied it would make all services cheaper - sure the 100mb/s may be about $100, but all lower ones will be cheaper. Telstra's current most expensive is around $120/month.

Moreover, in New Review (10th of April), it was cited that about 25% of the brandwidth would be used for education and 25% for health services thus bringing down the cost on the consumer.

IT would moreover, increase productivity and thus other services would become cheaper and society would benefit from those cost savings also.

Telstra doesn't have the incentive to build an upgrade, it has a strangle hold on he market at current.
Telstra couldn't do it cheaper anyway - how could they?
How is it that you can substanciate that remark?
And how can you throw away the notion of the evils of market monolopies and maintaining an egaletarian access to utilities and services.

Australia latest to upgrade broadband | Industry news | Interoute
join!

Last edited by a moderator:

aussie-boy

HSC
its strange how on this forum, certain people are quick to say that HSC economics is wrong full stop - without offering any alternative theory or saying why it is wrong

in fact the events of the past few months (with the massive amounts of cash stimuli) would seem to suggest that the Rudd government also subscribes to this 'flawed' economic theory

With the privatisation of telstra... that was probably one of the most stupid things that a government has ever done. The monopoly that was created has to this day prohibited a fall in consumer internet prices, and also delayed the emergence of ADSL2+, refusing to upgrade the technology in its exchanges. We should hope that something like this never happens again.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
there are so many more worthwhile things to spend that money on, it is absolutely ridiculous the way the rudd government wastes money to win votes. and i know more about economics than writer'sblock and i've never done any economic-cased school subject. just cause you do it doesn't make you a genius. more of a douchebag really.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Unless I can get >20 mbit/s and more than 36 gig a month for less than $50 a month I won't be happy.

writer'sblock

HSC
Quantitative easing is to an extent, uncharted waters, in some case it has worked, in others not.
but there are facts which have affected the result say Germany in 1923, having to pay France and Britian. and Romania in the early '90s, where money was stolen by government officials. Though in these to areas it has failed, but Turkey did do it in the early 90s as well, without any qualms and the US both now, in the 70s and in the 30s.
so there are many factors which affect it, but it would be unwise just to rule it out because it has backfired in some cases.
there's something about the mantra of trying anything and everything to prevent a depression which seems to have been lost on you - damn generation x and y - not living through recessions to know why we would manifest the case. Moreover, having bee nunder a liberal governemnt for 12 years of your short lives we have had their media-cycle manipulation speechs imbedded in our ethos. You care certainly seeing - and arguing - that things are black and white, this is good this is evil. This isn't hte best positio nto have in my opinion, it is the bindery fallacy.

Well I think I can presume this much... quote taken from Prof. Tony Judt, NYU, December 2005:

the bindery fallacy; the notion that everything is either itself, or its opposite, not only in terms of moral, but also in terms of political types. This is a very provincial propensity, to flatten the world out into two dimensions. All foreign knowledge becomes the kind of knowledge the kind of knowledge that we can understand it you don’t, thus adopt it. Thus democracies, all democracies are one in the same, and they’re all like us. So, that means that any threat to a democracy, is like any other threat to a democracy, and they are all interchangeable. So Wa-ha-bi Islam becomes Islamic Fascism, which becomes Fascism; the ‘War Against Terror’ becomes the new Cold War, because fundamentally they are the same kind of conflict and you cannot imagine anything more complex. Everything is either us, or it were against us.

writer'sblock

HSC
I have a certain thing for Tony Judt's works...
"Haven't you guys learnt anything from the 60s? You got the sex, you got the drugs, you got the cultural freedom, but what about the part which said 'don't trust anyone over the age of 30?'"

writer'sblock

HSC
THis is me trying to attack your agrument vis-a-vis a personal attack upon the foundation of your views, pseudo-intellectual or not. Anyway, this slandering is really just a sunk cost, this isn't what this thread is subjected upon.

writer'sblock

HSC
I think you need to in a critique of some argument, ascertain a contradictory evidence to the statements provided, you have not done so.
Your statements are merely jejune and express a certain berevity of knowledge and the capacity to understand concepts. you obviously lack the ability to critique....

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Sale of Telstra = good thing.
True, but they fucked up the fineprint. It should have been seperated into wholesaler and retailer companies. Instead we got a communications monopoly which both controlled and used the copper-wire network. Nice going Keating/Howard.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Another step towards communism.
Govt. controlling everything.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
True, but they fucked up the fineprint. It should have been seperated into wholesaler and retailer companies. Instead we got a communications monopoly which both controlled and used the copper-wire network. Nice going Keating/Howard.
Yeah, I do agree that it wasn't done as it should have been.

Hindsight's always 20/20!

Lentern

HSC
I think the idea isn't without merit, but at the moment there are much better ways to spend the money. It would be nice, but an extravagance we don't need.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Schroedinger that HSC kid spanked you without mercy!
He sank your little red rubber dingy but good!

I wouldnt take that man, cmon man, he be slanderin you bro

writer'sblock

HSC
How is it a communist attribute? by that same thought process you could state because the government owns Australia Post, and had left the market to service our mail that every government since 1901 has been communist. substanicate you claims - how is it communist? it's a company, therefore it would be closer to social democracy because it is working in the capitalist system and it will be sold off in 13 years therefore it could be state that it is really just the creation of another company in the market economy, buthte governemnt is allowing economies of scale to develop over the 5 years of opperation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)