does ANYBODY enjoy their text for english? (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
English can fucking die. BNW is so boring.

bassistx

HSC
I haven't even heard of some of these texts.
My texts haven't been delivered yet (Briar Rose and Educating Rita), but I'm guessing they'll be boring as hell.
Last term we did Strictly Ballroom. It was alright. But after watching it so many times, you feel like killing Fran (or taking her to the spa or something for a makeover).

Shakespeare bores me to death. Although the plots etc. are fab, the language confuses me. I have to keep looking at the side note things to understand HALF of what is going on. It's just too much effort. Why couldn't he write like normal people?

Then there's Robert Frost. What exactly is so amazing about this guy's poetry? It's so... It's so dumb. I can't find a word for it. Boring, complex yet simple and just... frustrating. Like "I want to shred this then burn it" frustrating.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Oops oops oops. I read a book The Novels 100 today and it ranks Emma 14 or something. Don Quixote topped the ranking, followed by War and peace (shit, I've found this book for ages). Gone with the wind came last (100). Vanity fair is in top 50, I think. Great expectation (I read a few months ago and wasn't quite impressed) is in top 20-30.

War and peace. Why not choose it as related material? =)) *laugh to dead*

bassistx

HSC
Great Expectations.. Omg.. I couldn't get past like 13 chapters or whatever. Piece of aboslute crap. Let's kill Charles.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I think all these rankings are very biased (even the top 200 schools created by SMH). The criteria differ so widely that when putting a certain school into meticulous analysation, it seems to be too crap for that position.

The same for these novels. The author of the book I mentioned pamper Don Quixote to sky and he justifies his arguments but undeniably persuasive quotes, testimonials and comments made by a great number of pretigious and famous authors. According to this, War and Peace echoed somewhat a bit of Don Quixote and none of 'our' novels can escape the shadow of Don Quixote. In addition, even Tolstoy is influenced by Cervantes (what's his full name? st De Cervantes?). I was fascinated to read these 'combed' sentences used to polish Cervantes and his No 1 novel. I read Don Quixote before and I admit I didn't quite like him as I thought: Hell yeah! What a freak! After mediating (with the effect of The Novels 100), I think it's quite true.

'Huckberry Fin' is also in top 20 tho it's somewhat so last last last century. Great Expectation is too bad a top novel. Still it's too good a bottom trash. I liked it at first but then the same mood and mode of it bores me to dead but I tried (yes, I did try my best) to stick to it 'cuz I wanted to know its ending. What can I say? If I hadn't read other novels, I would have like that happy open ending. The truth is obnoxiously atrocious. In the current context, it's a pity for the noveltry. Such a cliched ending! No more. We need to stick to the status quo which requires any fair judgment and such thing demands us to put texts into their right contexts. I'd better say: Great Expectation is too lucky.

To bassisstx: in your case, I'd better HUNT DOWN SHAKESPEARES! Naah, I love him. lolz

Abruptly thinking of Skrzynecki: I detest youuuuuu! I swear I won't give him a room to breathe in my writings when I finish HSC.

bassistx

HSC
Undermyskin said:
I think all these rankings are very biased (even the top 200 schools created by SMH). The criteria differ so widely that when putting a certain school into meticulous analysation, it seems to be too crap for that position.

The same for these novels. The author of the book I mentioned pamper Don Quixote to sky and he justifies his arguments but undeniably persuasive quotes, testimonials and comments made by a great number of pretigious and famous authors. According to this, War and Peace echoed somewhat a bit of Don Quixote and none of 'our' novels can escape the shadow of Don Quixote. In addition, even Tolstoy is influenced by Cervantes (what's his full name? st De Cervantes?). I was fascinated to read these 'combed' sentences used to polish Cervantes and his No 1 novel. I read Don Quixote before and I admit I didn't quite like him as I thought: Hell yeah! What a freak! After mediating (with the effect of The Novels 100), I think it's quite true.

'Huckberry Fin' is also in top 20 tho it's somewhat so last last last century. Great Expectation is too bad a top novel. Still it's too good a bottom trash. I liked it at first but then the same mood and mode of it bores me to dead but I tried (yes, I did try my best) to stick to it 'cuz I wanted to know its ending. What can I say? If I hadn't read other novels, I would have like that happy open ending. The truth is obnoxiously atrocious. In the current context, it's a pity for the noveltry. Such a cliched ending! No more. We need to stick to the status quo which requires any fair judgment and such thing demands us to put texts into their right contexts. I'd better say: Great Expectation is too lucky.

To bassisstx: in your case, I'd better HUNT DOWN SHAKESPEARES! Naah, I love him. lolz

Abruptly thinking of Skrzynecki: I detest youuuuuu! I swear I won't give him a room to breathe in my writings when I finish HSC.
They are biased, but oh well. Can't believe everything you read, hey? lol. I read the endings of Great Expectations. Wtf. He should've just left it for the original.

Anyways. I don't mind killing Shakespeare :D Let's burn him at the stake!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Shakespeare is beautiful, fuck off.

kuroneko

HSC
If some people hate Shakespeare/ Skrzynecki so much then why are they doing advanced? If your education is so in need of this course then... shut up and read the damn literature.

bansdontwork

Banned
HSC
Your argument is terrible. People do advanced because they are capable at English and will get a much better mark than they would if they did standard.

You'll find most people hate at least one of the texts they have to study, saying you should like it because you chose is it ridiculous, so shut up.

Jachie

HSC
I'm confused though. I thought you didn't do shakespeare in standard. so why are people bitching when they're, you know, not even studying him anymore?

kuroneko

HSC
bansdontwork said:
You'll find most people hate at least one of the texts they have to study, saying you should like it because you chose is it ridiculous, so shut up.
I never said they should like it, more that they should quite whingeing because it doesn't help a thing.

bansdontwork

Banned
HSC
If it wasn't in a thread asking if people like the texts they have been given, I'd agree with you.

But it is.

So shut up.

kuroneko

HSC
Without Wings said:
You still might study shakespeare in standard- The Tempest or King Richard III are both prescribed texts for standard english. Standard english students can also study Skrzynecki...

Obviously the majority of students undertake the level of english that meets their ability or interest level, not because of the texts they may/may not study. With such a large number of prescribed texts there is really no guarantee which text you would study with each english anyways, it really depends on what your school decides to study that year.
You make a good point. I just assumed that people with the ability/interest level at advanced would at least be alright with Shakespeare and Skrzynecki.

kuroneko

HSC
bansdontwork said:
If it wasn't in a thread asking if people like the texts they have been given, I'd agree with you.

But it is.

So shut up.
It's a thread about what texts they do like.

bansdontwork

Banned
HSC
soylicious said:
everybody seems to be whingeing about their texts and how boring it is...

im reading 'only the heart' for physical journeys and im absoultely loving it

am i odd?
If you cannot see that this bridges to people saying what texts they hate then I feel sorry for you.

kuroneko

HSC
I wasn't saying people shouldn't express their views, but going on about how much they abhor something is a little excessive... especially if it's the majority of prescribed texts. I was referring to those in advanced complaining about Shakespeare and Skrzynecki.

bansdontwork

Banned
HSC
Round and round we go. I'm not going to bother responding to that, go back a page.

kuroneko

HSC
Whatever. I put forward a point, and there it is.
I suggest that you don't just walk into something and think you know everything, and everyone else is wrong.

Jachie

HSC
kuroneko said:
Whatever. I put forward a point, and there it is.
I suggest that you don't just walk into something and think you know everything, and everyone else is wrong.
lol, er, um, what?

i'll give you a rundown on what this thread looks like right now, because i'm awesome:

Poster A: lol so i enjoy all my texts, am i the only one?
Poster B: nah i like mine too, we must be a pair of freaks hey
Poster C: lol fuck off, i hate my texts, they're so boring/shit/aids
You: WHATZ WITH ALL THE NEGATIVITY BROZ

It's not a matter of being right or wrong, it's pointing out that your reaction to some posts here isn't exactly appropriate.

EDIT: spellin lah@

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)