• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does doing IT scale you down? (1 Viewer)

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
I know it depends on the students but does this course generally scale you down?

Winston

HSC
Because it's such an easy course, in general... they would expect you to achieve in the high Band 5's or else if u get anything below that, it will scale you down... because think of it logically, if it's that easy u can spend so much time on it revising more and more and even reinforce your knowledge even better... but other subjects like 3 u eng 4 u maths etc... all require alot of time and effort and is a level of difficulty.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Wild Dan Hibiki
ok so i juz gotta be in the smart group
Nothing called smart or dumb group, the thing with IT (VET) is, you dont have to get like 100% in your exams or anything to do good in general, it's split into two parts, your actual competency tasks, which they assess you based on whether you can do it (competant) or cannot do it yet (not competant), you have a list of tasks to do, once you've done it all the end of the 2 yrs, you'll obtain a TAFE Certificate 2 accredidation. These competancies also help expand your knowledge, as you'll be tested on most of the stuff you do in competancies task, unlike other subjects whereby your HSC Mark is composed of your Internal Assessment mark and Exam Mark, the IT (VET) Course only takes into account your Exam Mark, so it doesn't matter how bad you failed the exams in school if you obtained something very high in the HSC Exam, that will be yours for sure :). Then you're wondering why do you have to do internal assessments etc... well it's just a backup incase if you actually feel very sick of anything happens on the exam day and you stuff up, they would have at least some backup.

santaslayer

HSC
IT is really for students who wanna pursue a vocation at the end of the school year.....thats y it isnt really "designed" for uai seekers

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
IT is really for students who wanna pursue a vocation at the end of the school year.....thats y it isnt really "designed" for uai seekers
Well it's different for others, seriously because i loved computers, IT and SDD was a little more of a breeze, i didnt have to study for them.... not bragging but, if a student is good at something naturally because of personal interest of aptitude, it wouldnt be bad to do that subject, as you can have minimal study, and yet achieve really good in it, then you've got like a few subjects secured and guranteed, then you have less subjects to worry about and spend more time on each, i only studied for english, maths and food tech my other two was a breeze, maybe a read over of it night before the exam.

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
Well some use it to pursue a career in the TAFE system and others who do the correct units use it to get into uni.

The student of mine that got 87 in IT he is doing a degree in Info Tech at Newcastle Uni

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Andrew_Blackwel
Well some use it to pursue a career in the TAFE system and others who do the correct units use it to get into uni.

The student of mine that got 87 in IT he is doing a degree in Info Tech at Newcastle Uni
lol like me... i used it to get in, and one less subject to worry about...

but i fink for most students who are selecting to do a computer degree they should do SDD, it will help alot, i mean most computing degrees require some coding knowledge.

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
lol like me... i used it to get in, and one less subject to worry about...

but i fink for most students who are selecting to do a computer degree they should do SDD, it will help alot, i mean most computing degrees require some coding knowledge.
Thats so true.

Here is what the Board Of Studies has to say regarding the HSC ITVET 2003

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2003exams/pdf_doc/info_tech_er_03.pdf

And this is the exam

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2003exams/pdf_doc/vet_informat_tech_03.pdf

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
My post about scaling was based on a rumour

It is scaled I have the results of the 2003 HSC

IT The HSC Mark Mean was 34.4
The scaled mark was 20.5

99% = 44
scaled = 39.2

90% = 39.5
scaled = 32.2

75% = 37.5
scaled = 27.2

50% = 35
scaled = 21

25% = 32
Scaled = 14.2

Sorry I made a mistake

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
My post about scaling was based on a rumour

It is scaled I have the results of the 2003 HSC

IT The HSC Mark Mean was 34.4
The scaled mark was 20.5

99% = 44
scaled = 39.2

90% = 39.5
scaled = 32.2

75% = 37.5
scaled = 27.2

50% = 35
scaled = 21

25% = 32
Scaled = 14.2

Sorry I made a mistake
wat exactly does this mean?

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
I dont really get it either.

Im assuming that if you got say 44 out of a possible 47 then your scaled mark is 39 and so on

Winston

HSC
I dont really get it either.

Im assuming that if you got say 44 out of a possible 47 then your scaled mark is 39 and so on

yeah that's how it is... basically when they scale it, the marks actually go down... and then this scaled mark becomes part of your aggregate to toal into your UAI.

that's why... for most people thinking obtaining 70's in most subs in HSC marks, they think they'll obtain a UAI of 70, but they might be scaled from that 70 down to 60 or something, but for people getting 80s it will go down to 70 - 75, depending on your subject as well, but thats how the system looks, and then once they have that scaled mark it's added all up and yeah...

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
wait its out of 50? i thought it was out of 100. dont tell me half of my IT marks are already chopped off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)