Does English X2 Scale Good? (1 Viewer)

Valupatitta

HSC
I do the following:

Maths Adv, X1, 2
English Adv, X1, 2
Business Studies
Economics

are they good? i know business is absolutely crap at scaling but oh well im good at it :)

snowconesyum

HSC
actually it doesn't scale fantastically. english ext 1 scales much better. but ee2 is still pretty good scaling-wise.

icecreamk3

HSC
adnan91 said:
gotta love mx2
i hate maths (unrelevant) therefore ex > mx

but yeah ee1 scales better than ee2

(and secretly i wish i were good at math for my uai would skyrocket)

jules.09

HSC
It does, but I think the scaling for mathex2 is better.

Either way, choose subjects you're capable at and enjoy.

Languages scale exceptionally as well.

Zephyrio

HSC
Not all languages scale well. French continuers scales only slightly better than chemistry/physics, and not as well as history extension. But I guess that's pretty good scaling. Arabic and Vietnamese etc. scale... not too well.

EEI and EE2 are about the same in terms of scaling. And yes, MX1/2 > EE1/2.

didier91

HSC
...In short, yes, it's only behind Mathematics Extension 1 & 2, the HSC Distinction Courses and some Extension Languages in terms of scaling, in 2003 it was 37.7.

However, if you are picking up Extension 2 English merely in the hopes of doing a subject that scales well I strongly urge you to reconsider taking this course, you would be wasting your time.

This is a very individually demanding subject and requires you to be passionate about what you want to research and explore in your Major Work. I am about to begin writing mine and personally cannot wait to get started as my concept is a subject in which I have great interest in.

There is no point picking up this subject if you believe you can laze around for a year not doing any work and do well simply because it scales well. This subject has one of the highest dropout rates due to students not being totally commited, for example in my year we began with 18 students, after a month we are already down to 12 and it looks like we may well lose another two soon.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please PLEASE ONLY DO THIS SUBJECT IF YOU KNOW THE REQUIREMENTS OF WHAT YOU NEED TO DO AND ONLY IF YOU ARE COMMITTED, otherwise you will only be wasting your own time. :(

However, if you do decide to pick it up and are commited, it will, no doubt end up being the most enjoyable subject you do at school and your Major Work will quickly end up becoming something you take great pride and joy in. :party:

Debbo

HSC
Yeah thats very true ^

Take it from someone who just finished their HSC. On those nights when it's 3am, you're shifting in and out of consciousness from exhaustion and caffiene, and youre still working on an assignment thats due the next morning, just pray to god that you enjoy the subject. It's all that matters to propel your determination and get good marks.

maz5

HSC
As much as it's fun to play the scaling game, if you are not good at a subject, you will not receive good marks. Getting a 25/50 for Ext2 is worth nothing.

It is true that those who are good at everything and play the scaling game achieve good results, but I did Music I because I loved singing, and in the end I got 96 which definitely counted towards my UAI even though it was common knowledge it did not scale well. Alternatively I hated maths(I'm an English girl all the way) but my Dad wanted me to persist with it believing it will scale well, and I received 82- a) because I hardly payed attention to it in terms of studying and b) because I didn't naturally get it. Unsurprisingly, it didn't count toward my UAI.

If you're willing to put in the hard yards and love the subject matter you are working with, do ext2 eng. But keep in mind it is highly subjective and I know people who had wonderful pieces and receeved a E2 whilst I go 48/50 for something that was not even fully edited(whooops....it served me right for doing 14 units.)

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Of course, good scaling will only affect you if you're good at the subject. No point in doing a high scaling subject and then failing at it. You would have gotten a much better result in doing an average scaling subject and excelling at it. Do a subject that interests and motivates you; scaling is a secondary consideration.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Not all languages scale well. French continuers scales only slightly better than chemistry/physics, and not as well as history extension. But I guess that's pretty good scaling. Arabic and Vietnamese etc. scale... not too well.

EEI and EE2 are about the same in terms of scaling. And yes, MX1/2 > EE1/2.
That is mainly because they allow people who shouldn't really be doing EE1/2 into the classes. I also hate maths so it is also unrelevant to me- correction irrelevant :haha:

georgefren

HSC
Scaling is subjective depending on how well you do in the subject. If you do WELL at ee2 (above, say 48) then it scales really well, and its not as hard to do really well in ee2 than some other subjects. But if you dont do well in it, then because the average mark is so high comparitively, you get shat on by scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)