Does General scale really badly? (1 Viewer)

kerri92

HSC
How badly does it scale? Is it better not to do maths at all then do general?

bored of sc

HSC
If you do well scaling won't affect you much. But the scaling is average for general maths I believe.

rajputsingh

HSC
No subject scales bad if u do well in the subject eg a 90 in general far outweighs says a 75-80 in 2unit

kerri92

HSC
but i was told that its really hard to get a band six in general =\

*Baby-K*

HSC
It's not hard to get a Band 6- I did it.
Just work throughout the year, and make sure you understand every topic completely and can do any exercise- it all comes down to practice.

Nevermore

Godlike
HSC
Yes it does compared to other subjects, unless you get a very significant mark i.e) a hsc mark of 98+ for general mathematics

omniscience

HSC
N/A
one of the shittest scalar.

getting 80 in 2 unit = coming top 40% in the course
getting 90 in general = coming like top 5% in the course

getting 80 in 2 unit is so much easier

omniscience

HSC
N/A
B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T.

90 in General Mathematics is a cinch. 80 in Mathematics is harder to get. Also, 90 in General = better than 80 in 2 unit. Your stats prove nothing. Of course more people get 80+ in 2 unit than in General, the course candidature is of a higher quality! Like I said before, people doing General are often not at all gifted in mathematics and thus obtain poor results, i.e Bands 3 - 4.

Edit: Doing General can be quite smart if you're good at math. Come first in the state or get a Band 6 and you'll be better off than if you got a Band 5 in 2 unit.
James
are you intellectually lacking? I clearly know more than you yr 9 kid.

You don't clearly know anything about alinging/scaling procedure that takes place.

Have a nice look at scaling report (esp 2008 one). about 45% of 2 unit students got over 80 aligned mark compared with about 5% of general students who got over 90.

80 in maths doesn't mean 80% in the paper rather you only need like 70/120 or thereabout to get that mark whereas in general, you might need like mid 80 to high 80 raw to get 90 aligned in general.

So it's not necessarily easier to get 90 in general you sped. If that's the case, most people only doing 2 unit would have transferred to general. And from what you are saying, topping general will give you good scaled mark. No it fucking doesn't. scaled mark about 45/50 is poor. About 5% of 2 unit students = 900 people get that mark and over whereas only one person in general or (top 5) get that mark or thereabout.

So if you are good at maths, and if you do general, you are the most retarded guy out there. But it won't apply to you because you are obviously quite shit at maths.

BTW most band 6s in general = shit scaled.

The next time you call me bullshit, back it up with some official stats. Whose post looks more reliable here: your arrogant post against my post backed up with some official data?

Please post some quality posts with some quality info. Don't brag about your lack of knowledge.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
1. Your post had no official data.
I do have official data. It's called 2008 Scaling Report. Refer to UAC website for the report.

2. You call me arrogant when you just had to take 5 minutes of you precious life to degrade me and call me names when you could have done something more worthwhile. Instead you have to make yourself seem superior on the Internet.
That's because I AM superior to little year 9 student like yourself.

Who's the "sped" here? Obviously I was not calling YOU bullshit, that is just ridiculous, I was referring to the content of your post. Funnily enough, I am not "shit at math" ... that is a very gross assumption. I am doing 5.3 and will probably do Mathematics Advanced in Years 11 and 12.
Calling my post bullshit is merely a euphemism of calling me bullshit. you are quite shit at maths actually if you were planning to do general until few months back. And doing 2 unit maths is basically given. It's easy to do 2 unit. Getting 95+ is not hard at all. Well, sorry, it's obviously hard for you.

Oh...and you have obviously not realised that being good at HSC mathmatics (with the possible exception of Mathematics Extension 2) ...simply mean you have a good memory (are able to remember formulas) and can follow basic instructions (apply formulas). May I take a moment to remind you that this is not real mathematics?
you don't know hsc maths for shit. go hide under your bed. learn it first and come back with some experience. don't want to take your shit.

Since you insist on me backing my posts up with evidence (which is again hypocritical as you did not back up your post with evidence), read "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart, written by a mathmatician and mathematics teacher. Math is schools - logical instruction following is not real math. It is not creative. It is not difficult and it is not fun.
wtf. are you stupid? how is this relevant and do you call this "official stats"? how the hell is this related to what we are talking about? EPIC FAIL

I have actually attempted to be a creative rational thinker and make math interesting for myself. I have actually began to read Peter M. Higgin's "Mathematics for the Imagination", which is, like "Lockhart's Lament", a great read.

you are just not creative enough. you clearly suck at maths.

I don't intend to attack your character. I am sorry if this is what I have done in this post or any other past posts. I was merely commenting on the validity of your claims. I stand by my belief that 90/100 in General Mathematics is better than 80/100 in 2 unit. One is a Band 6 and one is a Band 5, for goodness sake! However, I do admit that I am wrong in which is easier to obtain.

Please in future refrain from attacking people's character on the Internet. I am not a sped. I am not retarded. If you continue to call me such names, I can report you to the police and they can trace where your computer is and then I may sue you for defamation or for bullying. Don't waste your time on this earth belittling others to make yourself feel good.
ok, you clearly don't understand what aligning/scaling are. You DONT' KNOW WHAT'S REQUIRED TO GET BAND 5 IN MATHS AND WHAT'S REQUIRED TO GET BAND 6 IN GENERAL. Talking to you is like talking to some dumb person. You don't truly know for shit. LEARN IT and come back.

And again, if you are good at maths (not specifically you because you suck at it) and if you do general, you are the biggest tard out there.

lou071

HSC
N/A
if you do good, it will not affect you significantly.
but generally general maths does not scale well/

HSC
75 in 2U = 80 in Gen (2005)
It has consistently been around this figure for a few years now.

I got 86 in Gen with the minimal of effort, whereas i would've been struggling to get an 86 in 2U which if i had gotten would only equate to 1-2 higher UAI.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
No subject scales bad if u do well in the subject eg a 90 in general far outweighs says a 75-80 in 2unit

i would disagree 100%, for starters 2 unit maths does much harder topics than general, the general paper has 22 multiple choice whereas 2 unit has no multiple choice, the questions in the 2 unit paper get harder as you proceed through the paper (some of the final questions Q9 and Q10 have pretty difficult questions) whereas the general paper questions have fairly constant difficulty throughout,

Additionally, the general maths paper comes with a formula sheet, and it even has a key to tell you what the symbols mean in the formulas, so you could literally learn how to use the formulas in the hsc exam

2 unit is much harder and if a general student beat u by 10-15% their mark would not beat you after scaling (or they shouldnt beat you )

also one extra thing to point out, not thats it gives hard evidence, but the general paper is also 1/2 hr shorter than 2 unit

Last edited:

Bacchus

HSC
Whether General is harder or not, we need to be aware of some facts... scaling is reflective of the overall calibre of the students in the course, not taking into account of the difficulty of the course.

It doesn't matter if the course is more difficult or easier because scaling doesn't take that into account. So while it seems to us that 90 in general > 80 in 2 unit sounds unfair for most, it's important to understand that 90 in general =/= 90 raw while 80 in 2 unit maths =/= 80 raw in 2 unit maths

As the BOS does not reveal our raw marks, it is difficult to say what is needed to pull off Band 6 in General Mathematics and Band 5 in Mathematics.

However, it is possible to make some good estimations as to what would be Band 6 marks for both.

Firstly, the average mark for 2 unit HSC mathematics course is around mid 60s according to Jeff Geha's HSC 2 Unit Maths tips. (which quoted the official BOS data). If we estimate that about 45% get 80+ aligned in 2 unit while only 5% get Band 6 in general maths, 80+ aligned in 2 unit roughly requires low 70s/120 = less than 60% raw mark.

On the other hand, I do not have much data on General Mathematics. However, according to some people who have undertaken the course and achieved band 6 in it, we can make a good guess that it would be around mid 80s RAW that get you Band 6.

So in general:

about 60% RAW in 2 unit hsc maths = band 5
about mid 80% RAW in general hsc maths = band 6.

I will leave this to the general BOS community and decide for themselves which would be harder to achieve.

However, as omniscience said, if you are good at maths and see yourself getting about mid 80%+ raw for 2 unit maths, you shouldn't be doing general maths as it is much more likely that you will get higher in 2 unit maths in terms of scaled mark...mid 80%+ raw = low band 6 in 2 unit maths and that gives quite a good scaled mark. but in order to match that you should get very high 90s for general maths which is about high 90s raw, assuming that you can make silly mistakes, prospect of getting high 90s can just disappear in matter of answering few questions wrong.

Last edited:
HSC
+1 Voluptas

But alignment in General is quite pittiful, i marked my 2008 Gen paper and got 84/85 give or take, my final HSC Exam mark was 86. So a mid 80% raw mark would equate to a Band 5.
However from previously released raw band cut-offs, a 60%-70% in 2U does = Band 5

Again at the end of the day, do what you're capable of, strong performance in any subject will pretty much negate any unfavourable scaling.

Last edited:

Bacchus

HSC
+1 Voluptas

But alignment in General is quite pittiful, i marked my 2008 Gen paper and got 84/85 give or take, my final HSC Exam mark was 86. So a mid 80% raw mark would equate to a Band 5.
However from previously released raw band cut-offs, a 60%-70% in 2U does = Band 5

Again at the end of the day, do what you're capable of, strong performance in any subject will pretty much negate any unfavourable scaling.
That's an interesting perspective. But as I said earlier, it's just too difficult to estimate a raw cut-off from people's opinions alone and I guess it's just too difficult to estimate what is required for band 6 in general. However, I appreciate your input. That made me think again about estimating a raw cut-off purely from others' views (which is what I took into account the last time I posted)

But I am sure about one thing, you would definitely need to be about top 5% (or less) of the entire course to achieve band 6 and that shouldn't be easy at all as getting 60% in 2 unit maths is in comparison.

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
hahahaha yes it scales really badly

but on the bright side, it scales badly cos the candidature is dumb

HSC
Oh...and you have obviously not realised that being good at HSC mathmatics (with the possible exception of Mathematics Extension 2) ...simply mean you have a good memory (are able to remember formulas) and can follow basic instructions (apply formulas). May I take a moment to remind you that this is not real mathematics?
I don't think in 2/3 u maths it's just memorising formulas, eg in parametrics you actually have to know how to derive the formula, they never just tell you to sub points into the formula. If you read the last questions even in 2u tests, they're quite challenging, which require more thinking than just rewriting what we've memorised.

tedelex06

HSC
are you intellectually lacking? I clearly know more than you yr 9 kid.

You don't clearly know anything about alinging/scaling procedure that takes place.

Have a nice look at scaling report (esp 2008 one). about 45% of 2 unit students got over 80 aligned mark compared with about 5% of general students who got over 90.

80 in maths doesn't mean 80% in the paper rather you only need like 70/120 or thereabout to get that mark whereas in general, you might need like mid 80 to high 80 raw to get 90 aligned in general.

So it's not necessarily easier to get 90 in general you sped. If that's the case, most people only doing 2 unit would have transferred to general. And from what you are saying, topping general will give you good scaled mark. No it fucking doesn't. scaled mark about 45/50 is poor. About 5% of 2 unit students = 900 people get that mark and over whereas only one person in general or (top 5) get that mark or thereabout.

So if you are good at maths, and if you do general, you are the most retarded guy out there. But it won't apply to you because you are obviously quite shit at maths.

BTW most band 6s in general = shit scaled.

The next time you call me bullshit, back it up with some official stats. Whose post looks more reliable here: your arrogant post against my post backed up with some official data?

Please post some quality posts with some quality info. Don't brag about your lack of knowledge.
I don't think I have read anything more hypocritical than your post, ever.
1. Your post had no official data.
2. You call me arrogant when you just had to take 5 minutes of you precious life to degrade me and call me names when you could have done something more worthwhile. Instead you have to make yourself seem superior on the Internet.

Who's the "sped" here? Obviously I was not calling YOU bullshit, that is just ridiculous, I was referring to the content of your post. Funnily enough, I am not "shit at math" ... that is a very gross assumption. I am doing 5.3 and will probably do Mathematics Advanced in Years 11 and 12.

Since you insist on me backing my posts up with evidence (which is again hypocritical as you did not back up your post with evidence), read "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart, written by a mathmatician and mathematics teacher. Math is schools - logical instruction following is not real math. It is not creative. It is not difficult and it is not fun.

www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

I have actually attempted to be a creative rational thinker and make math interesting for myself. I have actually began to read Peter M. Higgin's "Mathematics for the Imagination", which is, like "Lockhart's Lament", a great read.

I don't intend to attack your character. I am sorry if this is what I have done in this post or any other past posts. I was merely commenting on the validity of your claims. I stand by my belief that 90/100 in General Mathematics is better than 80/100 in 2 unit. One is a Band 6 and one is a Band 5, for goodness sake! However, I do admit that I am wrong in which is easier to obtain.

Please in future refrain from attacking people's character on the Internet. I am not a sped. I am not retarded. If you continue to call me such names, I can report you to the police and they can trace where your computer is and then I may sue you for defamation or for bullying. Don't waste your time on this earth belittling others to make yourself feel good.

lol @ both.

its not difficult to be a H4RDC0R3 G4NGST3R over the internet is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)