Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, but that is only the effect of a thought, we don't know how thoughts physically exist, we just know they have measurable and visible effects on the human body (ie brain).
Ok, no we don't know for certain. But based on what we currently do know, we can make a few inductive leaps... Where do our voices come from? It's the same sort of question imo.

robo-andie

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Ok, no we don't know for certain. But based on what we currently do know, we can make a few inductive leaps... Where do our voices come from? It's the same sort of question imo.
I am positive we do know with a good degree of certainty, how our voices work.
Though yes, I do see what you're saying, and there a lot of things we can only speculate about for the time being. Thoughts and God being two of them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I am positive we have a strong explanation for what thoughts are also, but when you want to go and throw in even a 1/9x 1000000 possibility of it being supernatural then it's hard to be very certain about anything.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
robo-andie said:
Yes, but that is only the effect of a thought, we don't know how thoughts physically exist, we just know they have measurable and visible effects on the human body (ie brain).

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard of anyone seeing thoughts as matter, nor have I heard that brain activity is not stimulated through thought.
your first sentence is the same as saying 'we don't know how electricity exists, we can just see the measurable and visual effects it has'. we do know, you're just too stupid to get it

and i will correct you. i believe thoughts are a combination of matter and energy. to date there has never been evidence of a thought that did not originate from a physical process, nor is there evidence that the brain is somehow connected and influenced by the supernatural

robo-andie

HSC
crazyhomo said:
your first sentence is the same as saying 'we don't know how electricity exists, we can just see the measurable and visual effects it has'. we do know, you're just too stupid to get it

and i will correct you. i believe thoughts are a combination of matter and energy. to date there has never been evidence of a thought that did not originate from a physical process, nor is there evidence that the brain is somehow connected and influenced by the supernatural
We can see electricity, and I know this. Please don't call me stupid.

I wasn't saying the brain was connected with the supernatural. I was making a comparison between the concept of thought and God.
I couldn't care less if thoughts were made from physical processes or not, that still doesn't mean we can see them. Cause and effect, I mentioned it.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
well you clearly are stupid if you think we can see electricity. we can see the effects of electricity, just like we can see the effects of thoughts

we can't see the wind either. that's probably caused by god as well

seriously, stop being a dumbass

robo-andie

HSC
crazyhomo said:
well you clearly are stupid if you think we can see electricity. we can see the effects of electricity, just like we can see the effects of thoughts

we can't see the wind either. that's probably caused by god as well

seriously, stop being a dumbass
We can see electricity.
And we can only see the cause and effect of thought.

No, I don't think God creates wind.

Please don't just assume I believe in God.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
do you even know what electricity is? trust me when i tell you that electricity and lightning are not the same thing

electricity is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe. gravity is another of these forces. a force is not visible in anyway. only the effects it produces. it's frustrating just how stupid you are

robo-andie

HSC
I know that lighting and electricity are different things.
We can simulate what electricity would look like if we could see it though. Assuming the simulation is correct, then we can 'see' electricity. Perhaps not in it's natural form, but it's the closest we can come.

It's frustrating just how quick you are to dismiss the possibility that I am aware of most of the things you are saying.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
robo-andie said:
I know that lighting and electricity are different things.
We can simulate what electricity would look like if we could see it though. Assuming the simulation is correct, then we can 'see' electricity. Perhaps not in it's natural form, but it's the closest we can come.

It's frustrating just how quick you are to dismiss the possibility that I am aware of most of the things you are saying.
so we can't see electricity at all? but we can see a simulation which isn't actually electricity?

Last edited by a moderator:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
crazyhomo said:
so we can't see electricity at all? but we can see a simulation which isn't actually electricity?

i sort of get what he's trying to say, but the whole 'we don't understand this therefore god created it' argument is illogical. The fact that humans don't understand how part of our universe works does not prove the existence of god. The fact that we do understand something, likewise does not prove that god doesn't exist.

Last edited:

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
By the way, I'd just like to point out how funny these examples are. They always have some angry professor/teacher/whatever belittling others by putting forward a simplistic atheistic pov... then some kid/dumbass/whatever apparently snaps them with some form of flawed logic. There's alot of them around, I try to take them as a grain of salt, but UnIqUe PrInCeZZ had to go and make it her argument, go and make me think that's the sort of retarded shit that affirms people's faith.
sheeeeesh do you always have the need to make those type of remarks after every single thing I say?

to be fair, unique princess didn't argue that that meant there's a god, just seemed to illustrate that she felt one didn't have to see god to have faith there is one
yessss that's exactly what my aim was when I posted up that forward. I didn't want to turn this into a topic about the human brain and the scientific theory behind it. It was just basically a simple way of expressing my own thoughts.:)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
sheeeeesh do you always have the need to make those type of remarks after every single thing I say?

to be fair, unique princess didn't argue that that meant there's a god, just seemed to illustrate that she felt one didn't have to see god to have faith there is one
yessss that's exactly what my aim was when I posted up that forward. I didn't want to turn this into a topic about the human brain and the scientific theory behind it. It was just basically a simple way of expressing my own thoughts.:)
Still, invalid analogy. Common sense (+ scientific knowledge) tells us that the human brain exists. We don't rely on "faith" to affirm its existance.

robo-andie

HSC
_dhj_ said:
i sort of get what he's trying to say, but the whole 'we don't understand this therefore god created it' arguement is illogical. The fact that humans don't understand how part of our universe works does not prove the existence of god. The fact that we do understand something, likewise does not prove that god doesn't exist.
Oh, I am not trying to say that God created something just because we don't understand it. Not at all.
I think some people will read my posts and look at it the wrong way. I am not trying to prove or disprove the existence of God, my views on Gods existence can be found here http://community.boredofstudies.org/2355378/post-2035.html.

I just wanted to draw a comparison between various things we have faith in, regardless of if we can see them.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
robo-andie said:
Oh, I am not trying to say that God created something just because we don't understand it. Not at all.
I think some people will ready my posts and look at it the wrong way. I am not trying to prove or disprove the existence of God, my views on Gods existence can be found here http://community.boredofstudies.org/2355378/post-2035.html.

I just wanted to draw a comparison between various things we have faith in, regardless of if we can see them.
Mate you can't just sit on the fence and be the 'good guy'. Either he exists or doesn't exist. ;)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
But as I explained before... that's not the atheist argument at all, it's not "I can't see God therefore it does not exist", it's "There is no evidence of God therefore it does not exist".

Because I think you're the kind of person that wouldn't quite get it if I said it to you nicely.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
everyone needs to read the wiki on Atheism to find out what it means and there are links from there to understand religion and the arguments for and against religion in my sig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)