Does God exist? (9 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

robo-andie

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Mate you can't just sit on the fence and be the 'good guy'. Either he exists or doesn't exist. ;)
I am not trying to sit on the fence and be the good guy.

At this very moment, I do not believe in God, and by my reasoning he doesn't exist.

This doesn't mean I can't involve myself in either side of the argument.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i think we should lay off robo-andie and focus our attacks on unique_princess for that filthy forward that created this conflict.

robo-andie

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
But as I explained before... that's not the atheist argument at all, it's not "I can't see God therefore it does not exist", it's "There is no evidence of God therefore it does not exist".
I know that's not the atheist argument. I am not using that, not one bit. I don't think I ever mentioned atheism.

Apologies if it was implied. I assure you, I did not intend on doing so.

EDIT: I will go back and read my posts again, removing or amending anything which may indicate I am using the Atheist argument.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
i think we should lay off robo-andie and focus our attacks on unique_princess for that filthy forward that created this conflict.
It's a cyclical thread, transcendent, and as much as this may annoy you, it's never going to end.

Just in general - Remember, keep the 'attacks' above board and focused on the argument, not the user.

L

littlewing69

Damage Inc. said:
That story she put up was the stupidest thing I've ever read.
I liked how he was trying to teach evolution by disproving God. That made me laugh. Evolution was invented by godless homosexual communist liberals, because they hate America.

PS: Princess, this isn't an attack on you. Just that pop Christianity really weirds me out with all the cheesy "jesus loves you" and cute stories of good-hearted kids defeating grumpy meanspirited atheists. Old-school Christianity I can actually get into--even though I'm not a Christian per se.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
transcendent said:
it's rather 'difficult' with some 'users'
No they're the easy ones. You don't actually need to reply as there are no intellectual points to counter. If you're looking to convert someone, on the other hand...

Generator

HSC
N/A
Damage Inc. said:
I used to post logical arguments in this thread and then gave up.

They just don't learn.
If that's the case, then please don't post if you are only going to dismiss another member's argument with a content-free post. This (and my previous post) goes for everyone else, too.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
transcendent said:
uh actually, this thread began with an argument (it has two sides) where not everyone agrees with eachother i.e either believing god exists or believing he doesn't. The reason this thread was created was so that everyone could freely express their views on this subject and hear others.

I seriously don't see that as a big deal.

That story she put up was the stupidest thing I've ever read.

glad you 'liked' it and felt the need to 'respond' to it.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Meh, this thread is for imbeciles. Why argue about this during life? Too many people are starting to think of 'god' as a man. With hands and legs... lol, his form is efficiency, man was made in his form (evolution, survival of the most efficient.)

The religions promote 'efficiency', indirectly through morals.
How happy would we be without "Thou Shalt Not Kill", I don't think those feeble, geeky, atheists could live in a cut throat world.

Religion is Religion, Interpret it how you will.
Here are a few "Scientifically Proven" benefits of religion.

1. (Praying): Praying promotes cortical plasticity. (which means more use of the brain for a longer period of time.
2. (Praying): Cortical plasticity, promotes growth in cognitive/emotional processing. Meaning religious people are 'more' logical. Go Figure.
3. (Social Assimilation): Being apart of a religion generally means you take on their stances on most issues. Which leads to a population with similar thinking, therefore making society more efficient. (although there will always be groups of radicals, you do have a general agreement among such a religious group.)
4. (Ethical Behaviour): However, you want to perceive it (either out of idiotic denial or denying proof) almost ALL ethical and moral behave has been derived from religion. Jeudaism, Christianity, & Islam. As we see religion slowly dissipate, people are reverting to such 'unethical' behaviour. (we'll let the intelligent decide what that is.)

In order for something to be most efficient in general it must:
- Be best for the individual.
- Be best for society.
- Not steal rights of the Individual.

Usually atheists tend to only care about the third law. (I have evidence, through surveying over 150 people.)

Last edited:
L

littlewing69

sam04u said:
How happy would we be without "Thou Shalt Not Kill", I don't think those feeble, geeky, atheists could live in a cut throat world.
Some of the worst atrocities in history have been committed in the name of "moral" religions.

1. (Praying): Praying promotes cortical plasticity. (which means more use of the brain for a longer period of time.
2. (Praying): Cortical plasticity, promotes growth in cognitive/emotional processing. Meaning religious people are 'more' logical. Go Figure.
Did your exceptionally logical and plastic brain notice that you repeated yourself?

3. (Social Assimilation): Being apart of a religion generally means you take on their stances on most issues. Which leads to a population with similar thinking, therefore making society more efficient. (although there will always be groups of radicals, you do have a general agreement among such a religious group.)
That's terrifying. Really.

4. (Ethical Behaviour): However, you want to perceive it (either out of idiotic denial or denying proof) almost ALL ethical and moral behave has been derived from religion. Jeudaism, Christianity, & Islam. As we see religion slowly dissipate, people are reverting to such 'unethical' behaviour. (we'll let the intelligent decide what that is.)
See above. Religion has inspired crime as well as virtue. I'd also like to see your data on the rise of immorality vs. decline of religious belief.

- Be best for society.

Usually atheists tend to only care about the third law. (I have evidence, through surveying over 150 people.)
So we should all be religious because it is "efficient"? How utterly disgusting. Why don't we just rename the place Australiastan?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
hey littlewing, you were the one that inspired me to LOOK up Deism in the first place on wikipedia cause i wasn't sure what it meant except for that little description you gave before and THEN i found the link to Atheism. i read through Deism first but it didn't accurately enough describe how i felt about the issue. i realise i'm an existentialist/absurdist first which is WHY i've become Atheist, not the other way around.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
sam04u said:
Meh, this thread is for imbeciles. Why argue about this during life? Too many people are starting to think of 'god' as a man. With hands and legs... lol, his form is efficiency, man was made in his form (evolution, survival of the most efficient.)

Religion is Religion, Interpret it how you will.
Here are a few "Scientifically Proven" benefits of religion.

- Be best for society.

this is possibly the scariest thing i have ever read. it terrifies me that this is your idea of a utopian, religious society

transcendent

HSC
N/A
efficency through social assimilation? i'd argue that it'd be the work of a few greedy and aspiration individuals who strived for power and wealth that creates new ideas and advances the society. take away the oil from the middle east and what other industries do they have? japan effectively has no religion and they are incredibly efficient at what they do. it has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with culture. like i said before if you hate us 'imbeciles' so much why do you go back to where ever it is your religion is most prominent and bask in your medieval thinking.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
praying does not promote new ideas or new knowledge. only through knowledge of everything, not just one silly book can you expand your mind. religion promotes stagnation of the brain, changing the individual into a machine, bounding them to an invisible prison for the mind and through rituals the body. if you cared so much about your religion and praising your lord then you wont mind being locked up in detention as long as you get to praise you lord cause you effectively don't contribute anything to society cause all you care about is your religion above all else. you don't need education, you don't need politics, you don't need to understand anything besides what's written in that single religious text. that's your idea of efficiency, to create mindless unthinking drones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)