Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
sam04u said:
If something always existed then there are questions which still link it back to being created spontaneously.

Where does it exist?
What is it made of?
What laws is it governed by?

Now, if you said that the entity which existed before all else exists then It would have to be made of something. Everything is bound by laws though, and if it was bound by laws then the laws would have to have existed before it. Therefore, nothing can have existed for all time.
A few things:

- If we're talking about the 'multiverse'/reality, then 'where does it exist?' might not be a valid question (in which case the answer may be Mu).

- What do you think about the notion of explaining how the universe might have began via 'vacuum fluctuations'?

- What if time is a circular dimension? (--> no beginning)

Not-That-Bright said:
We can justify our existance however we want, there's no 'ultimate' justification, but such ultimate justification is not needed.
I think this is more a personal question, as aposed to something which can be debated.

webby234

HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
- What if time is a circular dimension? (--> no beginning)
Been reading Hawking?

I think the error made by sam04u and others in the thread is considering time as something absolute, unchangable. This need not be the case.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Nah, I havn't read hawking but I've read similar things in the past. The main things I would have read in that kind of vein (aside from textbooks) would be The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene and Physics and Philosophy by Heisenberg.

Not-That-Bright said:
The question of what we're here for? Or the question of whether there's some ultimate purpose bistowed on us?
The question of whether we need justification for our existence and whether this justification need be in the form of an 'ultimate purpose'. The issues of meaning and purpose have been dealt with a bit by existentialist philosophers (and a whole plethora of self help books) but, in the end, whether 'purpose is required' is an individual decision (a stance which I suspect a lot of the existentialists took). Of course, one can present reasoning to others which outlines why this need not be the case (that they require ultimate/devine justification) but the acceptance of this proposition, I think, is very much a personal matter.

ccc123

HSC
Such a philosophical question can unfortunately be debated ad nauseum. I personally am ambivalent on this topic...however, i think that such a question can not be answered by us humans, but only by the deity, preternatural being, devine superpower (whatever you want to call it). Such a topic is way out of our realms of thought.

Last edited:

xclo

HSC
who cares. just repent all your sins on your deathbed, that way, you're guaranteed

cupcake08

HSC
xclo said:
who cares. just repent all your sins on your deathbed, that way, you're guaranteed
yeah, we should all keep that in mind when about to get run over by a car, or right before cardiac arrest. its just so easy!

xclo

HSC
naturally, god wants to save as many souls as possible, he won't let me die like that if he knows i will repent on my deathbed. othawise, there is no god, or he's evil and there's no heaven

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
God wont make it that easy and 'reveal' himself to you.
He's leaving it up to you to figure out whether you believe in him or not.

And as for how the world was created and how everything fits together... as humans our minds are completely limited in what we can comprehend, but when we die, we wont be in a human body anymore, we'll be in a spiritual body and we'll only understand everything then, but for now God's leaving it up to us whether we want to believe in him or not. He's giving us choice in what way we want to go with our lives & how were going to live it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
spadijer said:
Wittgenstein. Language games. I love the way universe, law and nature automatically equate into God.
If that's you're god than I'm a very religious man :)

What positivists would say is that we should concern ourselves only with what we can prove. We can't prove metaphysical speculations, therefore we shouldn't concern ourselves with them.
We cannot prove anything, not just metaphysical speculations by such a burden of proof. I'm not sure if you thought I'd personally agree with such views (or cared) but I don't.

Most religious ideals, however, are rooted in logic/reason - Murder is bad etc. because it is biologically collective - logic surmounts reality.
I would argue they're not really religious ideals and that MOST religious ideals (if we are to actually look at scripture) seem to be more concerned that you don't worship false idols.

Moreover, just to affirm my perspective, the purpose of life, lo and behold, is to stimulate ourselves (we are earths sensors), through biological processes.
I essentially agree, I'm sure the 'earths sensors' part was just a little poetic wording.

With reason and the hope of eternal existence we will advance through evolutionary processes.
Why the hope for eternal existance? By the way, I vastly agree that it is a hope - Not a belief :)

Humans have no purpose; humanity does - i.e. Humans, paradoxically, have no purpose other than to carry on humanity itself,
Well that's the purpose of our genes, I see human purpose as a more individual thing as I'm sure you do... but I continue to respond to these statements for anyone that might be stumbling onto this conversation.

And also, even if there is a God who says he's gonna gurantee eternal life?
Well see it'd really suck if the opposite is true. Most 'believers' imo hope that there is an afterlife, it's a very dear and serious hope to them but most do not believe. That is why most believers don't seem excited about their death or the death of their loved ones.

As far as I see it Zeus, Iris, Budha - whatever - this 'God' is just one more example of the many mythical figures which were regarded as 'God'. The easter bunny and Santa were real once, too. This 'god' is just one out of plethora myths, who final pages are being written as we speak. I wonder what will replace it.
I agree, I do think our current monotheistic god is being replaced. There is a movement towards more individualistic spiritualist movements (but I think that's more just a reaction to pop culture).

And I wonder which of these 73478478328 Gods was the right one?
None? If any 'God' exists I'd say it much more resembles the God of Einstein than any personal god your layman can imagine - To me that is not God.

Hmm. We have never had a defintion of X (god that is). Again, we cannot search for his existence because our language is just to enmeshed with too many ideas
I'm sure you can go wittgensteinian on me with this one, but I think we can create operational definitions for God just as well as we can for any other creature we can imagine.

God wont make it that easy and 'reveal' himself to you.
He's leaving it up to you to figure out whether you believe in him or not.
If he does not reveal himself to me then how else should I believe him? Insanity?

And as for how the world was created and how everything fits together... as humans our minds are completely limited in what we can comprehend
What's you proof for this assertion?

but when we die, we wont be in a human body anymore
Proof?

we'll be in a spiritual body and we'll only understand everything then
But I can already understand that there's alot of the universe that does not conform with (what I imagine is) your 'God', I don't need any magic power to see that your belief is the equivilent of belief in leper gnomes.

but for now God's leaving it up to us whether we want to believe in him or not. He's giving us choice in what way we want to go with our lives & how were going to live it.
Off topic a bit... but I have an interesting scenario that might interest you a bit.

For instance: If you were to find out a friend was going to die and she would recieve pain killers that would eliminate any pain death could bring her... would you feel the same as if she was telling you she was going away for a trip to the behamas and will never come back? I somehow imagine you'd be rather more upset than that. I'd argue that's because you don't believe in the afterlife anymore than I do, you just hope it's true.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I was refering to the senses - and of course there are things we can prove. Don't be idiotic (although, having said, that there is always room for improvement)
I believe there are things we can prove, however if you want to put all metaphysical matters as something science shouldn't touch (or maybe can't touch) then I'd argue that calls into question the validity of physical sciences.

My point exactly.
If that's your god then there's no argument for me to have, other than to say IMO such a wording is much like calling all belief systems 'religions'.

Yes, but to believe in something they have a scintilla of some rational thought (although I agree that most of it is both metaphysical and properganda based)
Rational? Eh... maybe some odd form of rationality but I'd argue whatever scintilla of rational thought is needed, the vast majority of some people's belief is simply retained in them from childhood using the same process by which children learn to trust their parents when they say "Don't jump off that cliff". It has very little to do with rationality imo but perhaps you view rationality as being skewed based on the individuals own situation.

heh- Also don't bother responding to this post anymore. I'm too lazy to respond to your responses....But the conclusion is we agree.
Very sorry for any harm caused. To change lines a bit, why do you think for so many years man thought the sun revolved around the earth?

shainalila

HSC
I believe everything has a scientific explanation.. think about it.. It sounds ridiculous for a man to be immortal and have all these "powers" let alone create everything living here on earth.. completely ridiculous.. :rofl:

timmyh

HSC
Ok, im new to this thread, so im sorry if this question has already been explanied. It seems to me that there are two principles of Christianity (not sure about other faiths) that are logical opposites of each other.
1. God created us with free-will. i.e. we choose whether to glorify God and hence whether to go to heaven.
2. God has planned everything that has happened and will happen.
If God has planned that a person goes to Hell, why is that person punished for God's decison?
Anybody....?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If God has planned that a person goes to Hell, why is that person punished for God's decison?
Answers have been attempted, some of them better than others, but none of them really satisfied me. They mostly revolve around the idea that your free-will has been pre-determined, making it only relatively free or something of that ilk. The weaker responses are usually 'God did it' :)

timmyh

HSC
hmm both of these seem 'wishy washy' type answers i have heard before. I find them difficult to accept. Cheers anyway though lol.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
timmyh said:
Ok, im new to this thread, so im sorry if this question has already been explanied. It seems to me that there are two principles of Christianity (not sure about other faiths) that are logical opposites of each other.
1. God created us with free-will. i.e. we choose whether to glorify God and hence whether to go to heaven.
2. God has planned everything that has happened and will happen.
Anybody....?
Personally I think that one of those principles needs to be rejected (or modified, as I suspect is done in a lot of counter-arguments) if consistency is to be achieved. That those two things (together) could be commonly held aspects of god/reality goes to show why we should continue to question and analyse our beliefs. If an individual is going to believe in a higher being and let this belief guide some of their actions then the least they could do is try and eliminate logical inconsistency. A side note: It's an interesting quirk of classical logic that if you admit both P and not P then you can prove any proposition to be true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)