Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Doesn't work for me, hence I stick to Agnosticism.
Richard Dawkins presents some basic arguments against your Agnosticism in the God delusion if you wanna buy it.

Essentially to me, I don't understand how you can be agnostic on the question of God but not agnostic in other situations. I feel that in principle of course the agnostic position will always be greatest, but in practice no one is really agnostic at all. Basically, I'm with Bertrand Russel (Good Company) philisophically I agree with agnosticism, but the atheist label really does more justice in pop culture to my understanding of the world.

Richard Dawkins is only the world's most famous living atheist.
Hmmm Maybe. I'd actually put it down to some actor/actress like Jack Nicholson, Angelina Jolie, Natalie Portman or George Clooney.

Certainly the most famous atheist for being an atheist though.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Haha, "this guy".

Richard Dawkins is only the world's most famous living atheist.
Athiest arent FAMOUS and will never BE FAMOUS!.

This isnt an attack on Athiest or athiesm but I dont know why, they just arent famous - they lack beliefs and they lack symbolism.

In the sense you are more likey to be famous if you have some 'absurd' beliefs rather than having the norm of beliefs.

Its bit like how the POPE is one of the most famous people in the world, but does jack shit than stay in his church. Or take Princess Diana, very famous, or take Ghandi, or take Richard the Lionheart,

etc,

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
This isnt an attack on Athiest or athiesm but I dont know why, they just arent famous - they lack beliefs and they lack symbolism.
Dawkins is an extremely famous person, for being an atheist amongst other things. So this isn't always the case. It's true that atheists lack a united front on just about anything, but that obviously doesn't mean that a few, lone, loud voices won't be noticed.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
but he (like everyone else) is very quick to brush over the problem of the astronomical chance required for the very first stage of life (thats a problem for science).
Anthropic principle?

but IMO LOTS of people are uncritical of the problems with evolution and take it as a truth in the same way that people take creationism as a truth.
The very beginning of life on earth has nothing to do with evolution and much more to do with chemistry. Evolution starts with the premise that 'Life exists on earth'.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Exphate said:
Here

This guy had to take a long hard look at Christianity to decide that it discriminates against several groups? Wtf?

My problem with the convention of Christianity is that it is so narrow in it's perceptions. I mean the 10 commandments - if you don't follow them you are a sinner right? And sinners go to hell. End of story. Yet it is commonly stated that if you repent your sins on your death bed, you will be led through the pearl gates for an eternity in heaven. I mean, how does that work?

You fuck up you're entire life, say sorry once and that's it? Doesn't that go against the whole Christian convention?
[/opinion]
Doesn't work that way.

The whole point of repenting is that when you sin, you confess, and you don't do the sin again. Someone who, sins their entire life, then just goes to confession, says their sorry won't go to heaven.

The way that it works is that God is forgiving, and that if you TRULY repent, and try your utmost hardest to be a good, moral christian, then you'll go to heaven.

timmyh

HSC
Dawkins was on South Park, in my books that makes him pretty famous. In that episode he changed the course of history to one where there was no religion and ppl worshiped science instead. they kept saying 'science dammit' instead of 'god dammit.' lol.
Note: this is not relevent to anything, the name Dawkins just brought back the memory lol.
And Simo, i dont like that explanation. My idea of it was that Jesus dying on the cross gave us the ultimate get out of gaol free card, he died for all our sins, that way if someone repents (truely repents) even on their deathbed, they get to go to heaven...

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
timmyh said:
And Simo, i dont like that explanation. My idea of it was that Jesus dying on the cross gave us the ultimate get out of gaol free card, he died for all our sins, that way if someone repents (truely repents) even on their deathbed, they get to go to heaven...
Which is what i was agree with as well. What i was saying is that i was arguing my point with Exphate that it doesn't work if someone just says "sorry" and then he goes into heaven. He's got to truly repent, and he's got to try his utmost hardest to make sure that he doesn't do that sin again.

The way that i was taught was that the only reason why you would go to heaven is because of God's mercy.

And in any case, i remember a parable that Jesus said about heaven is that its like a door into a house thats only partially open. Many people will try to get in, but only very few will, and the rest will be left out gnashing their teeth and weeping.
Thats what i remember at least.

chookyman

HSC
God exists because love exists. None of your hormone or endorphin explanations will ever stand, because when it gets down to it, scientists are nerds, and nerds have no idea about love, girls, whatever. therefore> bitter. duh?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
chookyman said:
God exists because love exists. None of your hormone or endorphin explanations will ever stand, because when it gets down to it, scientists are nerds, and nerds have no idea about love, girls, whatever. therefore> bitter. duh?
lol

lengy

HSC
Fuck dumbarses like chookyman make me think less and less of Christians all the time.

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
this thread is highly ammusing.
that is all I will say...

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
What about it do you find so amusing? Or was that really all you had to say? :D
Why do all you guys make a mockery of Christianity anyway?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Exphate said:
But the point is, to "truelly repent" is to APOLOGISE for your sins. Now, someone hours and days away from execution can "repent" and truelly make sure his "sin wont happen again" - he's going to be dead for it!

You're rebuttal is pointless and irrelevant! It is STILL AN APOLOGY for the shit one has done! God (if God exists that is) is a merciful being and all that razz. Fine. I wouldn't know - I don't even believe in god. But the whole notion of if you "truelly repent" you're in is CRAP.
You clearly don't even understand Christianity.

Bear in mind one thing:

God knows what you think, he knows how you feel. How you TRULY feel.

So when i say TRULY REPENT, i don't mean making a bullshit apology at confession.

See the difference?

This is the bascially the end of it, and the end of this short argument.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Exphate said:
Bear in mind one thing. I dont believe in god.

Hence, you're posing an argument to me that is useless.
yeah, figured.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why do all you guys make a mockery of Christianity anyway?
I wasn't, but if anything the 'Christian hypothesis' makes a mockery of its self pretty well on its own.

And what NTB was not a mockery of Christianity. It was a shot at a tosser. Keep in line.
Yea that's basically it... Nick R came in and just said he found the conversation here 'amusing', that's fine - But what does he mean by that? On its own his statement is pretty useless imo.

------------------------

S1MO: Given you're so certain of your belief, I have the same problem for you that I've posed to others before:

If you were to find out a faithful christian friend was going to die and she would recieve pain killers that would eliminate any pain death could bring her, would you feel the same as if she was telling you she was going away for a trip to the behamas and will never come back? I somehow imagine you'd be rather more upset than that.

I'd argue that's because you don't believe in the afterlife anymore than I do, you just hope it's true.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I wasn't, but if anything the 'Christian hypothesis' makes a mockery of its self pretty well on its own.

Yea that's basically it... Nick R came in and just said he found the conversation here 'amusing', that's fine - But what does he mean by that? On its own his statement is pretty useless imo.

------------------------

S1MO: Given you're so certain of your belief, I have the same problem for you that I've posed to others before:

If you were to find out a faithful christian friend was going to die and she would recieve pain killers that would eliminate any pain death could bring her, would you feel the same as if she was telling you she was going away for a trip to the behamas and will never come back? I somehow imagine you'd be rather more upset than that.

I'd argue that's because you don't believe in the afterlife anymore than I do, you just hope it's true.
no i do believe in the afterlife, and i believe strongly in my religion.

Like i said before, thats the end of it. Peroid.

L

littlewing69

S1M0 said:

You didn't answer the question.

bored6

HSC
S1M0 said:

That seems to be the trademark of the hypocritical Christian who, ironically, claims atheists are close minded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)