• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
sly fly said:
If religion has made her a better person and has made her happy then how is that wasting her life?

There are two possible scenarios.

Scenario 1: Some people believe in God, others don't. They die. There was no God. Nothing happens.

Scenario 2: Some people believe in God, others don't. They die. There was a God. Those who believed in God go to heaven and those who didn't get eternal damnation.

Now tell me, using logic, what do you think would be the wiser thing to do?
You can't focus on the consequences without any regard for the probability of them being true.

If I said that, should you believe in flying pink elephants and pray to them every Tuesday, you will go to heaven where every wish is your instant command, and should you fail to do so, you will go to hell, where you will be tortured, ravished, tormented and made miserable for eternity, would you start believing in flying pink elephants?

The point is that you are falling for threats about what might happen without thinking properly about the substance of the claims. You are looking at the severity of a possible outcome, going "that is extremely good or bad" and ignoring the probability of the outcome, which many argue that you should be saying "the chance is so absolutely low that it should be ignored."

(Or possibly, "even there is a supreme being, if he was good then he wouldn't punish me for using my brain, which presumably he gave me")

(Or further, "even if there is a supreme being, who says there is an afterlife?")

HotShot

-_-
HSC
holy shit there are some really long posts...

anyway, people have posed the question who created the universe? what i dont understand is that if you can ask this question, and if god does exist why cant you ask who created god?

if the answer god created himself, then why cant you say the universe created itself/ or already existed.

so i am saying, you cannot say god exists, but you can say the universe does. we are in the universe, and how it was created is purely scientific its basically has theory which being proved everyday.

on the other hand, there is little evidence to suggest god exists. Bible, quran etc are evidence because they were written by humans, and conjured up humans. After all humans tend to make up things, eg ghosts, spirits etc.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
HotShot said:
on the other hand, there is little evidence to suggest god exists. Bible, quran etc are evidence because they were written by humans, and conjured up humans. After all humans tend to make up things, eg ghosts, spirits etc.
The Quran wasnt written by Humans, my dear friend, and I dont need to prove this, its been done, and is already accepeted as a fact by both Muslims and many Non-Muslims!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
physician said:
The Quran wasnt written by Humans, my dear friend, and I dont need to prove this, its been done, and is already accepeted as a fact by both Muslims and many Non-Muslims!
well quite obviously it is accepted bu muslims, cos then they wont be believers. but as i said, you can believe in things that are not real, but what is real will always be real.

to write a book, can only be done by humans, dogs and cats dont write books.

HTML:
http://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/quran/quran_who_wrote.htm
thats site, that supports your viewpoint. but it is completely useless, in the sense it claims all humans are the same. but we know humans are different in just about anything and everything. it claims that arabs at the time were into idol worshipping, which probably was true, but how do you know that everyone worshipped idols, what if one person felt a different perspective, and wrote a book on his viewpoints.
Code:
' The Arabs would never write something that goes against their most important belief of idol worshipping.'
how can you say that?, the site generalises, not all arabs are the same, its kinda similar to muslims and this terrorists notion.
Code:
How can Arabs then write something that would negate their entire society's norms and ideologies?
why cant they? not all of them needs to changes, humans are different, born different so theywill different perspectives and ideas.

Code:
First, he was illiterate !!  How can an illiterate person come up with such a rich, poetic,  intellectual, and inspiring text that it rocked the entire Arabia?
first how do you know he wrote it?
Code:
Why would he do something like that? Why would he write something going against almost all of the norms of the society, and lose his family, relatives, friends, and other loved ones, and not to mention all the wealth he lost
why wouldnt you? people do things out of craze, just think of hitler and stalin.

the rest of that article, is competley crazy.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
another article aslo very bizarre, though the credibility of both articles are slim.

HTML:
http://bibleandquran.com/quran-word-of-god9.htm

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Originally Posted by physician
far from it. its written by humans on material available at the time, bythe langauge spoken at the time, by humans. probably muhammad himself wrote it. We have shown that muhammad was actually literate and that its only a lie that muslim believe he couldnt read or write, to justify the credability of the quran.We have proved that, by the many facts we provided.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
physician said:
How has it been proven?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
SashatheMan said:
Originally Posted by physician

far from it. its written by humans on material available at the time, bythe langauge spoken at the time, by humans. probably muhammad himself wrote it. We have shown that muhammad was actually literate and that its only a lie that muslim believe he couldnt read or write, to justify the credability of the quran.We have proved that, by the many facts we provided.
you have proved that he could read and write?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
He seemed to be saying that the proof is that many muslims / non-muslims accept that it is... This is far from proof.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yes you DO need to prove it. That something is accepted as fact by a bunch of people is no proof of its truthfulness.

X

xeuyrawp

Lundy said:
Yes you DO need to prove it. That something is accepted as fact by a bunch of people is no proof of its truthfulness.
Why shouldn't you have to disprove it?

Really, you have the same task of proving that there is no god as s/he has the task of proving there is one (not to mention that the 'one' is his/her specific god).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
physician said:
Argumentum ad populum.

Salima

HSC
Physician, if many muslims believed the Qur'an was written by humans then they aren't really muslim are they! Maybe you are mistaken, and they really meant written down by humans, not written by, not made up by. Dictated to by the prophet and the most trustworthy, truthful man of his time. Which is why he was chosen as prophet. He was illiterate, so he had the words that had been burned into his mind written down by his friends. They would have read what they wrote back to the prophet to know that what they had written was what he had told them. He would have known if there was a fault. They did this many times, reading and re-reading hte documents to make sure it was exactly as had been dictated to them. This was down even after all was written down.

Salima

HSC
And physician no one ever proved anythign about it being written as humans so far, I have not seen it!

Salima

HSC
I know that. I became confused myself. But it was the one...who was it sahsatheman or moonlight sontana commented on that made me say this. That is was written by humans. I was just saying I hope he didn't mean it in the wrong way and only written as in not made up written by humans way.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
HotShot said:
I replied with this response:

for the specific reason that I personaly thought Hotshot's post indicated that he thought the Quran was written by man, and conjured up by humans, without providing any proof, such a statement (if thats what he meant) is no different to my response...

And Salima, Yes! The Quran was written on paper by men, and recorded in the process which u desribed (i.e from the tongue of the Prophet (peace be upon him) who had received revelation from the angel Gabriel, from Allah (subhanahu wataalah)...and yes obviously i do believe that the Quran is the word of Allah (swt).

NTB said:
He seemed to be saying that the proof is that many muslims / non-muslims accept that it is... This is far from proof.
No! and thanks for stating the obvious!

SashatheMan said:

in regards to the bolded part, Yes it was written by humans on the material available at the time, but they only wrote what they heard the Prophet recite!

Whether uve shown that Mohammad (peace be upon him) was or wasnt illiterate (EVEN THOUGH U HAVNT SashatheMan) does not support the fact that the Quran was written by Mohammad (peace be upon him)

What facts? where, when, what r u talking about?

The fact that some Muslims believe Mohammad (peace be upon him) was illiterate was not simply proposed in order to "justify the credibility" of the Quran.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
physician said:
NTB said:
physician said:
No! and thanks for stating the obvious!
Um, care to elaborate then? I suppose you're going to say something along the lines of 'it is the inspired word of god through them' and that you can 'see this because of how awesome the language is in the book and how scientifically accurate it is!', in which case we go back to our arguments which you have ignored in making such claim.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)