• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Have you played Planescape: Torment? As far as games go it's pretty fucking deep. The central question of the game seems to be "what can change the nature of a man?" and the two answers put forward (but not really confirmed) as the most valid contenders are 'belief' and 'regret'.

Indeed a central theme of the game is how belief shapes the world. In the game this had physical manifestations - if enough people believe in something strongly, it will happen. But it touches on the broader issue of the role of belief in human psychology. Very compelling.

Plus the game is set in the Planescape multiverse. By far the best D&D setting so far.

danlan

HSC
bigneh said:
< baldurs gate :)
I would say Baldur's Gate II (with its expansion and several modifications) is the best America-styled RPG I have ever encountered.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You've obviosly never played Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 1, Deus Ex or Planescape: Torment. All of them are much stronger and more fun RPGs than BG2, though BG1 is as story-lite as BG2.

It's like when they made BG1 they took all the parts that made it fun and cheeky, removed them, and replaced them with sad, poorly designed attempts at depth and scope.

I don't mind people claiming it's one of their favourite games, but I seriously can't hold back a laugh when they claim it's the best RPG. Oh well, WHAT CAN YA DO?

bigneh

HSC
I couldnt even play Placescape, people telling me they cried over the story. I dont care if it has a great story line, if it looks shit and is anouying to play, then id rather read a book.

danlan

HSC
Slidey said:
You've obviosly never played Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 1, Deus Ex or Planescape: Torment. All of them are much stronger and more fun RPGs than BG2, though BG1 is as story-lite as BG2.

It's like when they made BG1 they took all the parts that made it fun and cheeky, removed them, and replaced them with sad, poorly designed attempts at depth and scope.

I don't mind people claiming it's one of their favourite games, but I seriously can't hold back a laugh when they claim it's the best RPG. Oh well, WHAT CAN YA DO?
Actually, I have installed Fallout 2, Planescape and Baldur's Gate I and played them for a while.
For Fallout 2 and Planescape, the old-fashioned graphics and the gameplay experiences stop me from continuing.
For Baldur's Gate I, I think it is confined to some relatively "minor" creatures, spells and items etc, compared to BG II, so it is less exciting to me.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
bigneh said:
I couldnt even play Placescape, people telling me they cried over the story. I dont care if it has a great story line, if it looks shit and is anouying to play, then id rather read a book.
Dude, it's got the best spell effects of any IE game. Other than that, I'd say it looks great. Wasn't annoying to play at all (partly because combat rounds were faster) if you were used to BG, IWD or Fallout combat IMHO. BG2 is what looked shit. They made all the characters have veins popping out of their heads and really really long necks and pointy ears, not to mention they all had immense angst and turned emo - even Minsc a bit.

I guess I knock BG2 because it could have been so much better, yet everyone praises it as though it's the best game ever.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Moving on to Scientology.

How come it caught on while the Time Cube didn't? They both use roughly the same amount of logic.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Timecube is too far ahead of our time for the average joe to comprehend.

HalcyonSky

HSC
3unitz said:
come on guys... i have nothing to read here
because every point has been discussed. A discussion on god inevitably turned to video games, and Bradcube et al realised this could only mean one thing:
The question of god existing is garbage; and World of warcraft owns.
Thus they abandoned their religion and rolled undead rogues on blackrock, they will not be heard from again.

BradCube

HSC
Ha ha, close. In all honesty, I'm just taking a breather for a while and thinking things over in my mind while trying to get into some more material (books, articles etc) for further discussion.

I did enjoy WoW for the month I played it though :p

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Text of President Bush's address welcoming the pope
"Most of all, Holy Father, you will find in America people whose hearts are open to your message of hope. And America and the world need this message. In a world where some invoke the name of God to justify acts of terror and murder and hate, we need your message that God is love. And embracing this love is the surest way to save men from falling prey to the teaching of fanaticism and terrorism.

"In a world where some treat life as something to be debased and discarded, we need your message that all human life is sacred and that each of us is willed, each of us is loved. And your message that each of us is willed, each of us is loved, and each of us is necessary.

"In a world where some no longer believe that we can distinguish between simple right and wrong, we need your message to reject this dictatorship of relativism and embrace a culture of justice and truth. In a world where some see freedom as simply the right to do as they wish, we need your message that true liberty requires us to live our freedom not just for ourselves, but in a spirit of mutual support.

"Holy Father, thank you for making this journey to America. Our nation welcomes you. We appreciate the example you set for the world. And we ask that you always keep us in your prayers."
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N16358629.htm

I lolled.
So..so THIS is what the winning side feels like.

I suspect that GWB will be looked back on with some sympathy. A good guy somewhat out of his depth

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm more interested in Pope Benedict XVI defining himself as relativism's public enemy #1. It's an exciting modern age we're living in. I think that the odds are against him in arresting the decline in belief in God, but maybe, just maybe, he will be worthy of the challenge

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
imo it comes from a misunderstanding of what relativism means for most people.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Frankly, I suspect that most people are total idiots. I dont care what 'they' think based on 'their' 'experience' of hsc/useless-wasted degree/a current affair/neighbours/junk food/me-me-me-ism. It's not valid. It never was. Democracy has really dumbed down civilization.
It's aweful!

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Frankly, I suspect that most people are total idiots. I dont care what 'they' think based on 'their' 'experience' of hsc/useless-wasted degree/a current affair/neighbours/junk food/me-me-me-ism. It's not valid. It never was. Democracy has really dumbed down civilization.
It's aweful!
I agree. Why are there so many stupid people anyway? Nobody thinks for themselves and the average Australian is apathetic about most issues. Even when something happens that pisses a lot of people off (i.e rising petrol prices) people still just sit there and take it. Someone start a fucking riot. Oh wait, too lazy/stupid.
It's horibel!

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
I agree. Why are there so many stupid people anyway? Nobody thinks for themselves and the average Australian is apathetic about most issues. Even when something happens that pisses a lot of people off (i.e rising petrol prices) people still just sit there and take it. Someone start a fucking riot. Oh wait, too lazy/stupid.
It's horibel!
are you being sarcastic?

...cause i dont think that was his point...

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Iron said:
It's aweful!
Yes, lets all be mindless drones in your fascist utopia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)