Does God exist? (7 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Does God exist?

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being psyhciatric care required, what is the level of lunacy in this thrad since Friday?

How much time should be set aside to read?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

Friday? Hmm, well no emytaylor but there was a Zionist calling atheists morons and Arabs dogs. I came to the conclusion it was Captain Gh3y's troll, but it could have been somebody else equally bored.

And as usual, TacoTerrorist threw in a snide remark about atheism without elaborating on his "deep and complex" beliefs.

inasero

Reborn
HSC

hi all...think there was a pretty good TL;DR version posted in response to tully's post :)

though...no one has responded to my explanation of why I believe in God, or to my rebuttal to the assertion that my beliefs might be culturally conditioned.

I'll throw in another spanner in the works. Can science explain why humans exist? What's the meaning of it all?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

katie tully said:
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being psyhciatric care required, what is the level of lunacy in this thrad since Friday?

How much time should be set aside to read?
Er...none? Esp if its lunacy in your mind. Go find something less disturbing (to you) to read :)

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

inasero said:
hi all...think there was a pretty good TL;DR version posted in response to tully's post :)

though...no one has responded to my explanation of why I believe in God, or to my rebuttal to the assertion that my beliefs might be culturally conditioned.

I'll throw in another spanner in the works. Can science explain why humans exist? What's the meaning of it all?
I dont think scientists are too concerned with a deeper meaning in life...meaning is something we create for ourselves , yada yada yada.
Religions have been one way of man creating meaning within themselves and making sense of the natural world , da da da.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

*TRUE* said:
I dont think scientists are too concerned with a deeper meaning in life...meaning is something we create for ourselves , yada yada yada.
Religions have been one way of man creating meaning within themselves and making sense of the natural world , da da da.
is that what you think or what you expect them to say?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

emytaylor164 said:
Its what ive learned :)
I dont agree entirely , no :)

HSC

inasero said:
No lunacy, or should Katie not waste her time? :confused:
she shouldnt waste her time I dont think, nothing really intresting happened.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

inasero said:
No lunacy, or should Katie not waste her time? :confused:
Ahhhh im under attack! From my own side!
I know Katie a little from her posts and i think the last few pages would be painful for her to read...

inasero

Reborn
HSC

emytaylor164 said:
it was a thinly disguised rhetorical question- though I have heard some funny explanations from an evolutionary psychologist's point of view, the point is that science in all its glory is no better at explaining why we exist any more than religion cannot empirically prove the existence of a God.

inasero

Reborn
HSC

*TRUE* said:
Ahhhh im under attack! From my own side!
I know Katie a little from her posts and i think the last few pages would be painful for her to read...
lol sorry that wasn't the intention
just wanted to get some clarification is all :)

how was everybody's weekend?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

inasero said:
it was a thinly disguised rhetorical question- though I have heard some funny explanations from an evolutionary psychologist's point of view, the point is that science in all its glory is no better at explaining why we exist any more than religion cannot empirically prove the existence of a God.
My understanding was that science had no reason at all to provide a reason we exist , it has just happened , we just do...now we create whatever meaning we have to , if our confidence as human beings requires it.
I think science provides no reason for us 'being' that is at all meaningful (meaningful to me , anyway) but i dont think 'meaning' ('abstractish' term when you think about it for a while) is something scientists are concerned with.
' Love' the concept that means so much to Christians and creates so much of our meaning, is put down to chemical processes, pack mentalities and cultural conditioning etc...

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

inasero said:

yeah pretty ordinary

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

inasero said:

mine was okay....

inasero

Reborn
HSC

emytaylor164 said:
yeah pretty ordinary
oh really? yeah me too I only just worshipped the creator of the universe and the author of my salvation :rolleyes:

lol yeah besides that...went on a ski trip to Mt. Buller- nearly got frostbite, but hey all good I learnt how to snowboard!

(note to self: bring gloves in future)

Last edited:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

inasero said:
oh really? yeah me too I only just worshipped the creator of the universe and the author of my salvation :rolleyes:

lol yeah besides that...went on a ski trip to Mt. Buller- nearly got frostbite, but hey all good I learnt how to snowboard!

(note to self: bring gloves in future)
nice, yeah church was good actually it was about the golden calf incident of exodus 32 and how we tend to be like them, commiting to God then rejecting him a short time after by idolotry, it was intresting.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

inasero said:

Post it up again. Science can't explain why humans exist, the question is meaningless to objective reality "why" is a subjective human concept. Unless of course you mean can science explain "well first there was the big bang, then blah blah, then blah blah, then evolution, then your genes, then your upbringing etc and that led to 'you'" well science can have a rough go at that.

Science isn't really about explaining "why" as in "meaning", but if you're asking it as in a causal statement "What caused human X to be" then it requires a bit of a theory of everything but I'm fairly sure science has a pretty good sketch of it.

The point furthermore should be that while science can't explain why we exist, neither can religion.

*TRUE* said:
' Love' the concept that means so much to Christians and creates so much of our meaning, is put down to chemical processes, pack mentalities and cultural conditioning etc...
Put down? It is merely understood... You need to understand, to say something is 'the result of chemical processes etc' doesn't mean it isn't a great thing.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Er...none? Esp if its lunacy in your mind. Go find something less disturbing (to you) to read
You're such a spack sometimes :( But I guess that answers my question: Degree of lunacy, amber alert.

Can science explain why humans exist? What's the meaning of it all?
Science can explain how humans exist, and to be honest I think asking why we exist is just leading us into another theological debate. The easy answer would be evolution, blah blah, but again that pretty much only explains how.
Hasn't this entire debate been about why? I think if any scientists have been able to explain why we exist, they'd be very rich and this debate would be very redundant.

Not true. I'm sure plenty of scientists would like to believe there is a deeper meaning in the existence of humans, it's just that proving 'why' is a lot harder than proving how.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)