Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

hsb39

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
$hiftyIceQueen, leave this thread before your soul gets ripped out by bigotted atheists hungry for fresh blood.
I am sick of being called a bigot because of my beliefs. I respect people's beliefs.

And I really respect Shifty as another religious person who isn't trying to convert people (if there is anything that I love about Judaism it's the fact that it is against it to prothesise).

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
hsb39 said:
I am sick of being called a bigot because of my beliefs. I respect people's beliefs.

And I really respect Shifty as another religious person who isn't trying to convert people (if there is anything that I love about Judaism it's the fact that it is against it to prothesise).
i respect you beliefs (not sarcastic btw)

HSC
So you all think when you die it all goes dark, and the end? All of you are 100% certain of this? What happens if you turn out to be wrong?
Then I turn out to be wrong and wear that, but that's like saying what if you don't pay the man who says he'll curse you if you don't pay him? Odds on I'm making the intelligent bet.

AND do you guys believe there is no god& no afterlife because of the lack of proof to support it or is it more of a 'if god existed then nobody would be dying because of stupid wars etc'?
Both the Problem of Evil and the lack of any evidence. There are no prophets nowadays that aren't mentally ill because we have the abilities to debunk them thoroughly.

I'm sorry but however you spin it if god previously allowed 'miracles' (And they were just shoddy magic tricks) then they'd still be going on. How come we can perform these 'miracles' as magic tricks nowadays?

Also religion really causes a great deal of pain and suffering for people. Sure it brings some hope, but it traps others in their own minds, constantly guilty constantly worried.

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
$hiftyIceQueen, leave this thread before your soul gets ripped out by bigotted atheists hungry for fresh blood.
Yeah here he is again to add no value. We're actually having a discussion with her about salient points rather than just trying to start a driveby comment cuntfest.

hsb39

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Also religion really causes a great deal of pain and suffering for people. Sure it brings some hope, but it traps others in their own minds, constantly guilty constantly worried.
I think that most of the suffering caused by religion is caused by the people of the religion rather than the religion itself (wars, homophobia). I also think that the good that religion does is often under-exaggerated. A lot of people have religion as the only thing that is preventing them from killing themselves.

HSC
Yeah but beliefs are powerful motivators, man. They can motivate one to not take their own life and they can motivate one to take the lives of others for the 'greater good'.

This is why I am at odds with Iron against the 'greater good' and the 'sacrifices' that must be made for the cohesion of society.

hsb39

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Yeah but beliefs are powerful motivators, man. They can motivate one to not take their own life and they can motivate one to take the lives of others for the 'greater good'.

This is why I am at odds with Iron against the 'greater good' and the 'sacrifices' that must be made for the cohesion of society.
I think that people use religion as an excuse. Hitler wasn't Christian but claimed to be and was using it as one of the many excuses for what he did. The same goes for the KKK who claim to be Christian but are really just racist.

Dis Amrahs

HSC
I dont get why people try and personify god. Also, who gets the impression that life in heaven would be boring? :p Id rather live now in all nature's visceral glory.

hsb39

HSC
Dis Amrahs said:
I dont get why people try and personify god.
The Bible personifies God... It's a major part of Christianity that he cares for us and the fact that he can care for us is in itself personification.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
hsb39 said:

She said she's Islamic, not Jewish.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Dis Amrahs said:
I dont get why people try and personify god.
We were made in God's image, so of course we're going to seem him in terms of our own humanity.

Dis Amrahs

HSC
hsb39 said:
The Bible personifies God... It's a major part of Christianity that he cares for us and the fact that he can care for us is in itself personification.
So its like a comforting measure. Fair enough. Is it explicit (In Christianity) that he takes that form though? Or is that just a manner in which its easier to connect with him? Just asking objectively. Personally, i dont like the idea of something controlling my life.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:

Sure, but that's only true if life has no meaning. If this is true, of course beliefs are nothing more than a romantic facade to hide your greed/self-interest behind. Of course beliefs would be nothing more than an illusion that the system is in harmony with our human order and the order of the universe - a mere excuse to cover the gaps in our certainty. No doubt, in this constructivist context, belief and order are arbitrary and will inevitably result in the horrors which concern you. Even if it doesnt, this meaninglessness is a cruel and demoralizing fate for the sensitive human being.

But what if there is an absolute reason? What if our petty power-driven systems were reformed in a way that allowed the individual to live their lives consistent with Truth? Indeed, they would be powerless to stop it! A moral reconstitution! A new experience of being! A renewed rootedness in the universe! A newly grasped sense of 'higher responsibility'! A newfound inner relationship to other people and to the community!
Yes! Open, open wide the doors to Christ! Step forward into his loving embrace! Recognise the Church as your true home Dan Nolan! Christ offers more! Indeed he offers everything! Only He who is the Truth can be the Way and hence also the Life! I sense you are close to Him! Open your eyes my friend - God's creation is One and it is Good!

drunkmonkey9

HSC
moll. said:
If your god really is merciful and kind then he would let me into heaven. And if he's not, well then the idea of being separated from him for all of eternity in hell doesn't scare me all that much.
If he is a just God, it would be unjust to let you be with him. He IS merciful, letting all the punishment of our sins be taken out on himself so he can save us from what was to justly be ours. He did it for you, only you won't take it. You would rather think you are better and you know better then the very being who created you. Seems a little ignorant?

If any of the people dishing out the bible were actually interested in discovering if it was true, they would read it. Check out the history of it. See if the history in there matches what happened in those days (which it does, but check it out for yourself).

As for the "emotional crutch" part of what was said, If you knew anything about bible based christianity, christianity is NOT an emotional thing. And being touched by the prescence of God just means God has saved us, not an emotional experiance.

Seriously, does it make more sense that the billions and billions of extremely complex things that make up just a single persons body just happened by chance, or just evolved by chance or people got their personality and everything that makes them unique by chance?

Wouldnt it make more sense that someone made it? I dont think humans are capable of thinking about things like eternity. It just doesn't click for us. Why? Cmon how smart do you think humans are? Smart enough to know that we were made by a total chance and everything just happened to work out absolutly perfect? And that everything that has and will happen was just... Chance?

In a dvd made by Louie Giglio, he describes the universe as 'Indescribable'. For anyone interested in how complex the universe is and how HUGE it is, check it out. But he points out how God is showing off his creation by putting things like the Whirlpool galaxy, a galaxy 23 million lightyears away, at the core of this galaxy, there is a cross stamped in, its actually the nucleus of the galaxy. Happened by chance?

He also points out that Laminin, the major part of the cell that holds humans organs together, is in the shape of a cross. Not just the diagram but under a microscope aswell. And there is STACKS of these microscopic cells in your body, holding you together. Happened by chance? (BTW for people wanting to tear the crap out of this, I dont believe in superstition nor do i think that this proves God is real.)

Check it out for yourself, and see how extremely complex the entire universe and everything in it is, and how prescise it is, and decide which makes more sense: It was created for a purpose. OR. It was created by a total fluke of..... whatever was there in the first place(who put that there)/nothing. If it was not created by God, then what is the purpose of life?

My advice to people going in circles over this(take or leave): Take a fresh appraoch as if you didnt have an opinion and check it all out for yourself, not other peoples opinions.

HSC
moll. said:
Of course it scared the crap out of you. The whole concept is designed to do that. It's another form of control which can be exercised by the church and those in power within the religious establishment. If you don't do as they say, you'll spend all of eternity in intolerable pain. But if you do, you'll get rewarded with an eternity of happiness and joy.
And i was raised by my parents to form my own opinion. I remember asking them about their religious views when i was young and whilst i didn't recognise it then, i realise now that their answers were purposely hazy, in order to allow me to come to my own conclusion. I only found out the other month that my dad is an atheist. It's been over 17 years and he never once mentioned that to me.
But i experimented in my young early teens with multiple religions. I tried Christianity, attended church and youth group, and found that it wasn't for me. I tried Buddhism even, but again, whilst i respect Buddhists and believe that theirs truly is the best religion, it wasn't for me.
lol, it's only the 'going to hell forever and ever' thats 'scary' though; tbh i still do whatever i like, unless i seriously believe it's not 'right'.

And Muslims are pretty different from Christians&Buddhists. I mean it's similar to Christianity, but that that much. Plus with Islam it's more 'if you do something good, you will be rewarded' same with 'bad things'. It's not that bad as long as you do ok stuff i guess.

nikolas said:
Oh i get it, the universe is run on emotions and morals. Youve got me converted, i mean come on how i come i didnt see it before, i mean, i like it when good things happen and im moral and shiz so logically the universe some how runs to reward being virtous and doing good shit. Perfectly logical
I do recall mentioning that i wasn't here to 'convet' anyone, so please do save your sarcasm for some other idiot :)

youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Then I turn out to be wrong and wear that, but that's like saying what if you don't pay the man who says he'll curse you if you don't pay him? Odds on I'm making the intelligent bet.
But that's just a curse, this is eternity.
Both the Problem of Evil and the lack of any evidence. There are no prophets nowadays that aren't mentally ill because we have the abilities to debunk them thoroughly.

I'm sorry but however you spin it if god previously allowed 'miracles' (And they were just shoddy magic tricks) then they'd still be going on. How come we can perform these 'miracles' as magic tricks nowadays?

Nowdays as in from the 20th or 21 century? My religion thinks the last Muhammad was the last prophet so i don't believe everyone who comes out now days claiming to be sent from god to save the people and whatnot.

I remember the people who had performed these 'miracles' were prophets or 'special' in some way, so if the prophets stopped after the prophet Muhammad, then why would the 'miracles' still exist? Especially in this sort of society. I mean come on; would you really believe someone is a prophet from god, if they told you they can walk on water and tried it in front of you?

That just depends on the person. I don't live in constant fear of doing the wrong thing resulting in me going to hell or receiving some other punishment.

I do think for the people who take the religion too seriously and begin to see it as a way of 'defending[?]' themselves from others then it turns bad, but other than that most religions tend to help people.

And i think religion is something in front of you, everyone understands it differently but just because some idiot thinks something in the Quran means that they should kill people, doesn't mean it's true. Everyone bags Islam because of them, yet it doesn't say in the Quran to go on and bomb buildings and kill innocent people.

nikolas

HSC
Shiftyicequeen, If your not here to debate, then what are you here for?

If your just stating your personal beliefs go do that on Bebo or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)