Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
moll. said:
So you're a Lutheran who also believes in biology and science?
Yeah i suppose i am.
i kinda choose to ignore making a comparison between the two, and making a clear cut decision on which is best.

I enjoy biology and science alot, i just choose not to relate it to my religion.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Darnie said:
Yeah i suppose i am.
i kinda choose to ignore making a comparison between the two, and making a clear cut decision on which is best.

I enjoy biology and science alot, i just choose not to relate it to my religion.
So what beliefs specifically make you a Lutheran?
Or do you just call yourself one, when really you're a non-denominational Christian?
Cos you seem to have a rather lassiez-faire attitude to your beliefs, so i get the feeling that you're not a stickler for rules and traditions.
I don't mean to be insulting if this is coming across as such, i'm just curious.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
moll. said:
So what beliefs specifically make you a Lutheran?
Or do you just call yourself one, when really you're a non-denominational Christian?
Cos you seem to have a rather lassiez-faire attitude to your beliefs, so i get the feeling that you're not a stickler for rules and traditions.
I don't mean to be insulting if this is coming across as such, i'm just curious.
i suppose some traditions you're correct. As a lutheran, i suppose it's kinda like, not what the bible actually says, but what it is saying about God. if that makes sense.
I also think that the old testament sets rules, however the punishments for those rules no longer exists, for example, the ten commandments; they are good rules to live by, however their original punishment is no longer applicable.
also, one thing many churches don't believe in now days (esp. pentecostals): "he who believes and is baptised will be saved"
so yeah.
i am strong in my faith in that i doubt it will leave me, yet i do see the logicality of biology and evolution, etc.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Darnie said:
expansive.
lol
Wasn't quite sure what else to add there.
But my curiosity has been abated.

For now!
DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUNNN!
*dramatic music*

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
moll. said:
Wasn't quite sure what else to add there.
But my curiosity has been abated.

For now!
DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUNNN!
*dramatic music*
lol. i was expecting you to make a comment on it, if you thought that was shit, tell me where it fails, that i'm ignorant, whatever.
but cool :)

by the way moll., have you ever considered that possibly the reason genesis doesn't explain everything fully is because that was all the knowledge they could handle at that stage in time? i mean, our knowledge has expanded greatly since then, and possibly god's version of genesis is more like a book of the beginning of the earth you'd give to a four year old, which we're still trying to draw parallels to? like, our knowledge has surpassed what god wanted us to know at that stage.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Darnie said:
lol. i was expecting you to make a comment on it, if you thought that was shit, tell me where it fails, that i'm ignorant, whatever.
but cool :)
Nah, why would i?
You don't annoy me.
And you don't believe that the world was created 6000 years ago, nor that the bible should be taken literally for all the stories.
No problem here!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Darnie said:
by the way moll., have you ever considered that possibly the reason genesis doesn't explain everything fully is because that was all the knowledge they could handle at that stage in time? i mean, our knowledge has expanded greatly since then, and possibly god's version of genesis is more like a book of the beginning of the earth you'd give to a four year old, which we're still trying to draw parallels to? like, our knowledge has surpassed what god wanted us to know at that stage.
Dunno.
But then this would beg the question as to why he hasn't sent an update down to us yet, because our knowledge has no doubt surpassed the account given in Genesis. God hasn't even sent us Genesis 2.0 and we're already using 3.0 lol
And people back then weren't necessarily less intelligent, just less educated. But if God had educated them, then it would've been fine.
It's not like the Jews were building on a previous tradition of intelligent design. It was a whole new tradition.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Moll, you're bringing down the standard of this thread and scaring away Kfunk. Cease and desist. Pls. Read some of the previous posts.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na I wont delete it, but it's not very sophisticated. You'd benifit more by reading some past posts

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Iron said:
Moll, you're bringing down the standard of this thread and scaring away Kfunk. Cease and desist. Pls. Read some of the previous posts.
Haha, it's funny, I have actually been giving the thread a wide berth on account of the discussions of the same old basic philosophical/theological gripes. But then it's a student forum, and so people need to be able to run with and discuss such ideas. It would be great to be able to direct people to read past discussions. Unfortunately this thread runs in excess of 1,000,000 words (yikes!)... Of course, a lot is gained by participating in discussion. I <3 Socratic method.

I have been trying to find a surrogate, and ideally more productive, form of procrastination (than the 'does god exist?' thread). Some of the more interesting content in the British and New England Medical Journals has recently started to suck me in - here's to hoping that I become hooked! (I trust that the utility of such an addiction is fairly apparent).

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Iron said:
Ow.
Bit harsh?

Garygaz

HSC
Why does anything exist? I cannot either fully accept that there is or is not a God. Why does matter, why do atoms, why does energy, and for that matter, why does even open empty space exist? Sure, science can explain how everything happened, but cannot state why energy exists or why anything exists? Look around you in the room you are in, your computer, your friends, emotions, everything, ask yourself why do they exist, not how they came to exist.

If you go back infinite amount of time, everything had to begin with something, and why did that something cause everything? Why did that something even exist? Personally, I think someone is quite closed minded to either be blatantly religious or athiest.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Garygaz said:
Why does anything exist? I cannot either fully accept that there is or is not a God. Why does matter, why do atoms, why does energy, and for that matter, why does even open empty space exist? Sure, science can explain how everything happened, but cannot state why energy exists or why anything exists? Look around you in the room you are in, your computer, your friends, emotions, everything, ask yourself why do they exist, not how they came to exist.

If you go back infinite amount of time, everything had to begin with something, and why did that something cause everything? Why did that something even exist? Personally, I think someone is quite closed minded to either be blatantly religious or athiest.
why would anything not exist?

id like to see what KFunk has to say about what you asked, i dont know if he's said anything on it here before. But really its an unfathomable question

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
HalcyonSky said:
why would anything not exist?
Because it would make much more scientific sense. For something to exist, there has to be a catalyst. For nothing to exist there has to be.. well nothing.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Garygaz said:
Because it would make much more scientific sense. For something to exist, there has to be a catalyst. For nothing to exist there has to be.. well nothing.
you're only assuming there has to be a catalyst, it's this train of thought that is the be all and end all for many religious people. ie, god must've done it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)