Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
AusBluesMan said:
It is simply that, my friend. A thread for arguing. Neither side will win untill either the apocalypse, or something of the sort, or a major scientific breakthrough that proves the Big Bang and Evolution Theories, or something of that sort.

It is just for arguing. It's rather good getting rid of argumentative moods.
Already happened, dude.

nikolas

HSC
Lukybear said:
You know, if you were religious and did belive in God, its very hard to pick holes in his arguement. Really because everything can be explained away by his omnipotence. This really means that logic and sciences dosent apply to you arguments.

E.G. In christianity there are some contradictions concerning free will and determinism. However because God is omnipotent, he dosent have to be logical, in that booth cases are true.
Me personally the only thing that kept me theist was Pascals wager, then i realized believing something out of fear on missing out on an infinite award was stupid

and god isnt omnipotent after all can he make a rock so massive that he cant move himself.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
AusBluesMan said:
Oh yeah! I forgot! Let me change that to "further scientific experiments that cements the theories as true facts".
Wrong again.
Evolution already is fact.
Big Bang still needs working on, however.
To the best of my knowledge.

nikolas

HSC
moll. said:
Wrong again.
Technically for a theory to become fact it needs to be experimented an infinite amount of times.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
moll. said:
Wrong again.
Evolution is fact.

The Theory of Evolution is still a Theory though. They are still working on that.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
nikolas said:
Technically for a theory to become fact it needs to be experimented an infinite amount of times.
No. A theory is a coherent collection of facts (essentially).

Evolution is a theory as gravity is a theory (which is described by a law). The Big Bang, as it currently is, is essentially an educated hypothesis. :)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
AusBluesMan said:
Evolution is fact.

The Theory of Evolution is still a Theory though. They are still working on that.
Huh?
Is there a difference to you?

nikolas

HSC
Kwayera said:
No. A theory is a coherent collection of facts (essentially).

Evolution is a theory as gravity is a theory (which is described by a law). The Big Bang, as it currently is, is essentially an educated hypothesis. :)
hmm your right, i was thinking more in terms of experimental reliability.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
AusBluesMan said:
Ey?

I'm working on past posts and what I've been told, lol. I don't study this at all.
The theory of evolution is as real and as true as it can be.
It should be noted that, like Kwayera has frequently clarified, there is a difference between a scientific theory and a general theory. A scientific theory never evolves into a "law" once enough evidence has been gathered, no matter if their is an overwhelming amount of evidence.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Some definitions (regarding science):

Patterns - regularities
Mechanisms - processes (unique or general)
Generalisations - usually true
Model - explanatory or predictive (conceptual or mathematical), 'explaining' patterns and mechanisms
Theory - Rigorous statement supported by evidence (a collection of tested hypotheses)
Hypothesis - Testable idea, derived from a model
Law - always true

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Science is actually false because if you bother to check, Newton disproved evolution in 1617.

HSC
moll. said:
Huh?
Is there a difference to you?
He was quoting a previous post of mine virtually verbatim (what the hell is the point of being in a thread if you just repeat stuff you haven't researched yourself?) and the distinction in my mind is that evolution is something proven to have occured, whereas the theory of evolution - the mechanics behind how evolution works - is not considered a "fact" in the 100% literal cannot-be-wrong sense.

It's just an intermediate step for getting people to realise the strength of the evolutionary theory - it's describing something that we know definitely happened, not just theorising how the current state of things came to be. Perhaps an unnecessarily pedantic distinction, I don't know.

boris

Banned
HSC
What the hell, do not start this "theory" of evolution bullshit again. We have defined theory multiple times already. A "theory" in science is not uncertain. It is the basis of a law. It is fact. Theories can be disproved. This one hasn't. So it is fact. Due to the overwhelming amount of evidence supporting it. Therefore. No more stupid christian arguments about the theory of evolution being just a "theory".

Hajime

HSC
Lol! It's My science teacher's last day... He was cool! Everybody say bye to him! His name is Mr James!

Ryuichi-Zero

HSC
Hajime said:
Lol! It's My science teacher's last day... He was cool! Everybody say bye to him! His name is Mr James!
Yea he was a good teacher, infact one of the best sciences teachers we had... wait nobody even knows who I I'm lols,.

Also my opinion of god existing... well simple said I don't know...

Last edited:
HSC
boris said:
What the hell, do not start this "theory" of evolution bullshit again. We have defined theory multiple times already. A "theory" in science is not uncertain. It is the basis of a law. It is fact. Theories can be disproved. This one hasn't. So it is fact. Due to the overwhelming amount of evidence supporting it. Therefore. No more stupid christian arguments about the theory of evolution being just a "theory".
I think you misinterpreted my post. But I agree, evolution is digressing from the point of this topic...

boris

Banned
HSC
Oh i wasn't referring to you. Just in general. If these new tards would care to look back even 3 months they wouldn't be hated so much for bringing up the same moronic christian arguments again and again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)