• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (8 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

nikolas

HSC
-Danyan- said:
Mate its been decreasing, so your saying that the magnetic field thats been losing strength suddenly recharges, im not saying it doesnt swap, but the strength does not reset
thats violating the law of conservation of energy
Theory of Magnetic Reconnection

Has some info on magnetic reconnections

When the Earth's magnetic field reverses, does its rotation also switch?

"the figure above shows how the magnetic field has been changing over the last 13,000 years and how we are currently in a state of declining field strength which may reach a minimum in another 5,000 years." Clearly implies state of declinging has not always been

Looking for more

-Danyan-

HSC
C

CyanideChrist

chaldoking said:
Why can't people just be accepting of others beliefs?

If you choose to believe in no God - so be it.
If I choose to believe in a God - so be it.
That's no fun! Where's the violence and the ownage?

-Danyan- said:
Just before I go, here you are genius,

Space & Astronomy News - Monster magnetic star breaks records - 21/02/2005

Monster magnetic starv breaks records
First result from a 'magnetic star' Google search. Nice. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

chaldoking

HSC
lol i think we should just leave this argument - can we truly say that we can come to a conclusion at the end of it?

But I do find that atheists always complain about religions imposing their views and beliefs upon other people - yet they are the ones who continually create such threads and continually ask such questions...

but apart from that, im leaving such a boring thread - boring in the sense that no conclusive answer can be reached.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
nikolas said:
To show this was the part is was replying to??
so you think me asking non-thiests' opinions on the teleological argument is a thinly veiled god of gaps argument?

dude come on we're trying to discuss this, that was unwarranted and ridiculous.

-Danyan-

HSC
nikolas said:
Theory of Magnetic Reconnection

Has some info on magnetic reconnections

When the Earth's magnetic field reverses, does its rotation also switch?

"the figure above shows how the magnetic field has been changing over the last 13,000 years and how we are currently in a state of declining field strength which may reach a minimum in another 5,000 years." Clearly implies state of declinging has not always been

Looking for more
Actually nikolas the evidence they have for magnetic field strength that is properly based shows a recently declining field, before this point is speculation, not fact; and from the post Kwayera just sent me, it says that an exponential decay graph fits the values known, only scientists decisions (opinion) said that the data before didnt fit an exponential decay graph. So it would fit with their beliefs,

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
-Danyan- said:
Actually nikolas the evidence they have for magnetic field strength that is properly based shows a recently declining field, before this point is speculation, not fact; and from the post Kwayera just sent me, it says that an exponential decay graph fits the values known, only scientists decisions (opinion) said that the data before didnt fit an exponential decay graph. So it would fit with their beliefs,
"Empirical measurement of the earth's magnetic field does not show exponential decay. Yes, an exponential curve can be fit to historical measurements, but an exponential curve can be fit to any set of points. A straight line fits better. "

Uh. Yeah.

-Danyan-

HSC
Kwayera said:
A neutron star. You didn't actually read the article past the crappy newspaper headline, did you? :rolleyes:
again and again you show your third year uni grade knowledge

'There are millions of neutron stars in the Milky Way but, so far, only a dozen have been found to be magnetars: neutron stars with an ultra-powerful magnetic field. '

Magnetic stars

Laters anyway

nikolas

HSC
-Danyan- said:
Just as much speculation saying the earths magnetosphere has been always declining at a constant rate.

-Danyan-

HSC
Kwayera said:
"Empirical measurement of the earth's magnetic field does not show exponential decay. Yes, an exponential curve can be fit to historical measurements, but an exponential curve can be fit to any set of points. A straight line fits better. "

Uh. Yeah.
Yeah i guess they decided to put in a straight line rather than exponential decay, thats opinion kwayera, isnt he contradicting himself by saying that

Empirical measurement of the earth's magnetic field does not show exponential decay.

and then

Yes, an exponential curve can be fit to historical measurements

Hes not a very reliabel source

-Danyan-

HSC
nikolas said:
From your own source.

"The highly-magnetised neutron undergoing a 'quake' at its surface, resulting in the gamma-ray outburst"star
read it through again, magnetars have permanent powerful magnetic fields, and who cares just cause a quake at the surface released in a gamma ray outburst, it said itself that the meutrng star is highly magnetised, magnetic star

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
-Danyan- said:
Yeah i guess they decided to put in a straight line rather than exponential decay, thats opinion kwayera, isnt he contradicting himself by saying that

Empirical measurement of the earth's magnetic field does not show exponential decay.

and then

Yes, an exponential curve can be fit to historical measurements

Hes not a very reliabel source
You're going to argue with a guy published in Nature?

Because you know so much more about the Earth's magnetic field than him.

nikolas

HSC
gibbo153 said:
so you think me asking non-thiests' opinions on the teleological argument is a thinly veiled god of gaps argument?

dude come on we're trying to discuss this, that was unwarranted and ridiculous.
(to non-thiests generally) what are your opinions on the laws of the universe and how they could have come into existence
Why was my response out of place? It clearly is a God of Gaps. Your asking us to explain unknown phenomena, which offcourse, we don't know, at least yet.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
-Danyan- said:
read it through again, magnetars have permanent powerful magnetic fields, and who cares just cause a quake at the surface released in a gamma ray outburst, it said itself that the meutrng star is highly magnetised, magnetic star
Once again, with feeling.

All stars are magnetic.

C

CyanideChrist

Kwayera said:
Once again, with feeling.

All stars are magnetic.
Yeah, but his point is that the so called 'magnetic stars' are more magnetic than ordinary stars, therefore qualifying them to be called 'magnetic stars'. I suppose it's just a more specific category of star?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)