• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No. There were all sorts of competing claims around those times and there was far more mystery in the universe. It took less faith to believe in the supernatural, but more faith to believe in one truth God

HSC
N/A
seek and you will find. Without faith, the devotion is meaningless
The stronger your faith is, and the lesser your question ...the more brownie points you score! It is some twisted logic.

I am failing miserably at this test because I decided to use my brain...... i went from 100% in faith after HSC, and now sitting on 20% 3 years into uni.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What? I think that doubt can ultimately be an extraordinatry act of faith. Like the prodical son, sometimes we need to live with the pigs for a while to fully appreciate faith. God wants us to use reason to seek out all truth, because he IS truth.

It's a totally unacceptable cop-out to say that only the 'brainy' reject Christ. Pls, lets move beyond this tiresome point

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
for fucks sake. As a skeptic I will like to ask if God is so keen to have his Godliness recognized and is so offended by the thought of sharing his glory with any one then why does he not reveal himself more explicitly.
Who's there to share His glory with? He is alone upon His pedestal of grandeur and omnipotence. We mere curs of the Earth could never hope to take any glory from His hands.

What is the point in sending his message in the form of riddles and then punish those who can’t solve the riddles to his satisfaction.
There is no riddle to the words "I am God, and though shalt have no other gods."

Would it not be better for God and for all his flock if God showed himself in a sort of annual appearance or in the form of some pre-announced miracles so no one would have any doubts and then heavily penalize anyone who still bothers to deny him.
But God does show Himself. Every single day.
He shows himself in the foreign aid-workers, labouring tirelessly in the desolate refugee camps across the world.
He shows himself in the Clean-Up Australia Day helper who sacrificed his day for the sake of other peoples thoughtlessness.
He shows himself in the mother who drops some old clothes into the local Salvos bin.
He shows himself in the simple act of helping an old man who has tripped on the sidewalk.
He shows himself in the smiles, laughter and happiness of everyone across the planet.
God is love.

Seriously, this god question is pissing me off.
Hopefully my God answer pisses you off more.

HSC
N/A
Who's there to share His glory with? He is alone upon His pedestal of grandeur and omnipotence. We mere curs of the Earth could never hope to take any glory from His hands.

There is no riddle to the words "I am God, and though shalt have no other gods."

But God does show Himself. Every single day.
He shows himself in the foreign aid-workers, labouring tirelessly in the desolate refugee camps across the world.
He shows himself in the Clean-Up Australia Day helper who sacrificed his day for the sake of other peoples thoughtlessness.
He shows himself in the mother who drops some old clothes into the local Salvos bin.
He shows himself in the simple act of helping an old man who has tripped on the sidewalk.
He shows himself in the smiles, laughter and happiness of everyone across the planet.
God is love.

Hopefully my God answer pisses you off more.
If you look at all the confusion around and the damage it is causing to the human society don't you think that the evidence has been less than complete. If it still requires a large amount of faith then the evidence must be less than convincing on its own.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
If you look at all the confusion around and the damage it is causing to the human society don't you think that the evidence has been less than complete. If it still requires a large amount of faith then the evidence must be less than convincing on its own.
The existance of evil in the world does not mean that there is no goodness. Evil is simply the absence of kindness, of happiness and of God.
As for the supposedly large leap of faith required, the same can also be said for science. It does not matter how much evidence that the scientific community gathers, nor how good their technology gets; the simple fact is that no human alive now or in the future will ever know how the world, the galaxy and the universe was created or by whom, if indeed anyone.
In fact, everything in life requires a leap of faith. I take a leap of faith in assuming that my neural senses are not deceiving me in my vision (for lack of a better word) of the world around me. I take a leap of faith that what I call the colour green looks exactly the same to you. I take a leap of faith in thinking that the sun will rise tomorrow and that I will rouse from the slumber in which I am to soon enter. I take a leap of faith that I am in fact alive at this moment and fully conscious of my being.
Life is full of faith. Why is it so hard to add just another?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
The existance of evil in the world does not mean that there is no goodness. Evil is simply the absence of kindness, of happiness and of God.
As for the supposedly large leap of faith required, the same can also be said for science. It does not matter how much evidence that the scientific community gathers, nor how good their technology gets; the simple fact is that no human alive now or in the future will ever know how the world, the galaxy and the universe was created or by whom, if indeed anyone.
In fact, everything in life requires a leap of faith. I take a leap of faith in assuming that my neural senses are not deceiving me in my vision (for lack of a better word) of the world around me. I take a leap of faith that what I call the colour green looks exactly the same to you. I take a leap of faith in thinking that the sun will rise tomorrow and that I will rouse from the slumber in which I am to soon enter. I take a leap of faith that I am in fact alive at this moment and fully conscious of my being.
Life is full of faith. Why is so hard to add just another?
this has to be undoubtedly your worst post EVER, ill rep you just for trying to be theistic. key word, trying.

edit: cant rep you, need to spread the love

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I thought I was doing quite well playing God's advocate... :(

Smile_Time351

HSC
Life is full of faith. Why is so hard to add just another?
I'm afraid I have to concur with Sicherhetsdient's post, that argument is not strong at all. In fact you yourself admit that evil is the lack of God in the world. There's a hell (pardon the pun) of a lot of evil in this world, so the same would, in your words apply to the lack of a God in the world. Also, to your question "Why is so hard (sic) to add just another?" There is a big difference between faith that the sun is not going to implode and faith in an all-loving, all-powerful God. One is based on experience, scientific estimations and theories, and probability, there's not a great deal of faith involved.
The other requires total suspension of disbelief, and the ignoring of modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics. Big difference.

HSC
N/A
What? I think that doubt can ultimately be an extraordinatry act of faith. Like the prodical son, sometimes we need to live with the pigs for a while to fully appreciate faith. God wants us to use reason to seek out all truth, because he IS truth.
This whole post sounds like an argument designed to fit the situation.

It may not be a exam style test of faith but it certainly appears to be a treasure hunt. Find the correct solution or the genuine messanger, avoid the unauthorised ones, and the treasure is yours.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I'm afraid I have to concur with Sicherhetsdient's post, that argument is not strong at all. In fact you yourself admit that evil is the lack of God in the world. There's a hell (pardon the pun) of a lot of evil in this world, so the same would, in your words apply to the lack of a God in the world.
Precisely!
You masochistic heathens have turned your backs upon the Almighty, and as such have created your own suffering. Were you to embrace He and His Son, and their message of love and to treat all mankind as you wish it to be reciprocated, there would be no evil in the world!
You create your own suffering through your embrace of satanic beliefs, and what's more, you enjoy doing so!
You sicken me!

Also, to your question "Why is so hard (sic) to add just another?" There is a big difference between faith that the sun is not going to implode and faith in an all-loving, all-powerful God. One is based on experience, scientific estimations and theories, and probability, there's not a great deal of faith involved.
The other requires total suspension of disbelief, and the ignoring of modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics. Big difference.
Oh, but there is, my dear child!
You yourself just admitted that all your pseudo-sciences and speculative clap-trap only amounts to probabilities and estimations, no more. You and your swollen-headed scientists still require a leap of faith to take that jump from, for example, an 80% chance of evolution to 100% certainty that that is how we humans came about. This is no different to a belief in the Almighty.
As for the probability of a God, well that is something that you cannot measure with a number. We are not talking about an opposing chance of God to the chance of evolution (or any of your other theories), such that God may have only a 20% chance of existance against and 80% chance for evolution. We are talking instead about an omnipotent being who can change the physical, chemical, mathematical and biological laws of the universe. To measure such a being against the laws that He can create or alter is impossible, as He transends such petty rules.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
This whole post sounds like an argument designed to fit the situation.

It may not be a exam style test of faith but it certainly appears to be a treasure hunt. Find the correct solution or the genuine messanger, avoid the unauthorised ones, and the treasure is yours.
I dont understand your problem...

Also moll, you will be punished for your insincerity

slip00knot

HSC
Precisely!
You masochistic heathens have turned your backs upon the Almighty, and as such have created your own suffering. Were you to embrace He and His Son, and their message of love and to treat all mankind as you wish it to be reciprocated, there would be no evil in the world!
You create your own suffering through your embrace of satanic beliefs, and what's more, you enjoy doing so!
You sicken me!

that is ridiculous, you can't blame every problem in the world on non believers, or people of other religions for that matter. if everyone believed in Jesus/God then the world wouldn't be hugely different. evil is not defined by religion but by character, 99 out of a hundred people would agree with me on that last statement.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

Also moll, you will be punished for your insincerity
:D
I'm already going to hell. May as well learn how to sweet talk my way out of it.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
that is ridiculous, you can't blame every problem in the world on non believers, or people of other religions for that matter. if everyone believed in Jesus/God then the world wouldn't be hugely different. evil is not defined by religion but by character, 99 out of a hundred people would agree with me on that last statement.
This comes down to the nature vs. nurture argument. Is it possible for a man to destroy his baser and immoral nature through personal and internal struggle?
Only with emotional help, an incentive and spiritual guidance, all of which God, Jesus and the Christian community provide.

HSC
N/A
For all I know you may have solved the riddle and will reap the rewards or you may have found the wrong answers and end up wasting your life.

My question still remains. Why make it so hard to figure out. It is like a course designer/examiner who can't set the right references and reading material.

slip00knot

HSC
This comes down to the nature vs. nurture argument. Is it possible for a man to destroy his baser and immoral nature through personal and internal struggle?
Only with emotional help, an incentive and spiritual guidance, all of which God, Jesus and the Christian community provide.

true, but its not limited to the christian community either. all those things can be provided by others, apart from the spiritual guidance, in which case you can find alternatives

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
For all I know you may have solved the riddle and will reap the rewards or you may have found the wrong answers and end up wasting your life.

My question still remains. Why make it so hard to figure out. It is like a course designer/examiner who can't set the right references and reading material.
But it's not hard. There's nothing difficult about a call to believe in God, to live a pious and respectful live and to love thy neighbour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)