Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

_GOD_

HSC
God gives us a sense of hope,
just b cos your emo and you dont believe dosnt mean that those who do are a disgrace to humanity

Garygaz

HSC
Why? He's got a point, and a good one too. Just because you don't like it, doesn't invalidate it.
So your idea of an argument is one without substance to back it up like 'Athiests are scum who can't possibly live life to the fullest without a God to give them morals to live by'? See, I too can make an argument without proving myself.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
So your idea of an argument is one without substance to back it up like 'Athiests are scum who can't possibly live life to the fullest without a God to give them morals to live by'? See, I too can make an argument without proving myself.
Hmm, straw man.

His point was that God has about as much proof of existence as does Santa Claus/the tooth fairy/etc, that is, none. Belief in a God is just as logical as belief in them, that is, not at all.

It was certainly not an argument without substance, just one that wasn't very well enunciated.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
This has got to be the longest running thread on BOS.

And it'll never die, because true existence of God cannot be proved, and it cannot be disproved. Religion has worked itself into a nice little place where they cannot be disproved, and if at any time questioned, circular reasoning is employed.

Ever try an ask one of those street preachers to prove that God exists in a way that does not invoke circular reasoning?

I did.

And he got angry.

Garygaz

HSC
Hmm, straw man.

His point was that God has about as much proof of existence as does Santa Claus/the tooth fairy/etc, that is, none. Belief in a God is just as logical as belief in them, that is, not at all.

It was certainly not an argument without substance, just one that wasn't very well enunciated.
There is certainly far more feasible reasons that a god could exist. To discount every single argument as the same proof as that of Santa is ignorant, imo.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
There is certainly far more feasible reasons that a god could exist. To discount every single argument as the same proof as that of Santa is ignorant, imo.
Like what?

The Santa Claus myth was at least based on a plausibly real person who did plausibly real things that, as time went on and as happens with legends, gradually gained in supernaturality.

Garygaz

HSC
Like what?

The Santa Claus myth was at least based on a plausibly real person who did plausibly real things that, as time went on and as happens with legends, gradually gained in supernaturality.
There are a lot of philosophical questions that still haven't been answered by science, such as what created space, the very first creation of a singular atom, not just in our universe, but in the infinity of space and the sheer 'coincidence' on how perfect planet earth is for life. (Was put at 1/3.8trillion chance for a big bang to create a planet with conditions such as those on earth) Unanswered questions which are seemingly unanswerable naturally lead one to think of other possibilities.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense, nor does it explain anything. Perfection? Sin? It's all a bit specious.
Well it explains why the world is crap, how it came to be, what will happen

All the answers to life are found in the bible (well some trivial stuff isnt but all we need to know as humans is)

what does not make any sense?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
There are a lot of philosophical questions that still haven't been answered by science, such as what created space, the very first creation of a singular atom, not just in our universe, but in the infinity of space and the sheer 'coincidence' on how perfect planet earth is for life. (Was put at 1/3.8trillion chance for a big bang to create a planet with conditions such as those on earth) Unanswered questions which are seemingly unanswerable naturally lead one to think of other possibilities.
Oh sure. Of course, the perspective of science is to keep looking, as we'll find the answer anyway. It isn't a coincidence as to why we're here - why? Because we're here. The perspective of you? "Oh, God did it, let's leave it at that." Pathetic.

Well it explains why the world is crap, how it came to be, what will happen

All the answers to life are found in the bible (well some trivial stuff isnt but all we need to know as humans is)

what does not make any sense?
No it doesn't, not at all, because it assumes two very stupid things: perfectionism, and sin. That's not an answer to life, that just asks more questions.

Garygaz

HSC
Oh sure. Of course, the perspective of science is to keep looking, as we'll find the answer anyway. It isn't a coincidence as to why we're here - why? Because we're here. The perspective of you? "Oh, God did it, let's leave it at that." Pathetic.

Actually genius it's been conceded by many scientists that many of these questions are beyond our ability to ever answer. Just saying 'Ohlolsciencewillfindananswer' is pretty arrogant. Science has its limitations too. I'm saying that in light of this it is ACCEPTABLE to make assumptions either way. Even though Einstein didn't believe in a god, he recognised the impossobility of an uncreated universe. I am not sure either, I am open to all possibilities. I have no idea how you are just so confident about knowing the answer to so many of the greatest philosophical questions facing man,./.

Garygaz

HSC
Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

No it doesn't, not at all, because it assumes two very stupid things: perfectionism, and sin. That's not an answer to life, that just asks more questions.
what questions do you mean?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Actually genius it's been conceded by many scientists that many of these questions are beyond our ability to ever answer.
Erm, no it's not. It's conceded we may never find an answer, but that doesn't stop scientists from, say, building telescopes to look deeper into the past to maybe one day find out what caused the Big Bang.

Just saying 'Ohlolsciencewillfindananswer' is pretty arrogant. Science has its limitations too. I'm saying that in light of this it is ACCEPTABLE to make assumptions either way.
Is it really? And no, it's not arrogance to believe that science will find an answer, it's inevitability.

Even though Einstein didn't believe in a god, he recognised the impossobility of an uncreated universe. I am not sure either, I am open to all possibilities. I have no idea how you are just so confident about knowing the answer to so many of the greatest philosophical questions facing man,./.
Pretty sure he didn't recognise the "impossibility of an uncreated universe", and even if he did, deist views really have nothing to do with science.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Sin is rebellion against God, we have sin because humans rebelled against God. We rely on this concept because it makes sense.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
But you're using another abstract concept (God) to define the abstract concept (sin).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)