Does God exist? (7 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

erin_tonkin

HSC
i think you gotta realise that science in no way disprooves religion.
Science offers the how
religion offers the why

robo-andie

HSC
erin_tonkin said:
Science offers the how
religion offers the why

Science offers both the How and the Why. Religion does this aswell.

You're right though. Science isn't anti-religion. They complement each other.

L

littlewing69

erin_tonkin said:
Science offers the how
religion offers the why
It's not so much a matter of how vs. why as a difference of subject matter. The scientific method assumes materialism and naturalism, hence disqualifying it from drawing any metaphysical conclusions about the universe. Science can, then, dispute claims of supernatural miracles et al, but it cannot prove or disprove an entity which is supposed to exist on another realm.

davin

HSC
N/A
littlewing69 said:
It's not so much a matter of how vs. why as a difference of subject matter. The scientific method assumes materialism and naturalism, hence disqualifying it from drawing any metaphysical conclusions about the universe. Science can, then, dispute claims of supernatural miracles et al, but it cannot prove or disprove an entity which is supposed to exist on another realm.
sounds about right to me.....
its why my issue with religion is only when people start trying to replace science with religion in the workings of the universe. i'd much rather have religion left to the spirtual realm only.

L

littlewing69

davin said:
sounds about right to me.....
its why my issue with religion is only when people start trying to replace science with religion in the workings of the universe. i'd much rather have religion left to the spirtual realm only.
And out of government as well, hopefully...

davin

HSC
N/A
ideally, though there is a level that one has to accept. To an extent, people are going to get their morals from their religion, if they have it. Then it just gets into a matter of what particular morals it is.

otay

HSC
Yes God does exist. He has taken 685 wickets and will bring back the Ashes for Us. All Hail Warney.

berry580

HSC
Does god exist?

Maybe http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-lion06.html would explain itself.

But even then, I'm more than sure some people would like to argue, e.g that man "doesn't believe in god", so god won't protect him, etc.

I'm not a true Christian myself, but I've been educated for over a decade in a Christian school. If memory serves me right, it's said god almighty loves everyone. And love is about caring, sharing, forgiving, blah blah blah..........
So not in this case???

LOL

berry580

HSC
transcendent said:
Well in this case (maybe) not long, but then, ain't true Christians suppose to forgive other's "sins".

Well I don't disagree with the notion that someone "great" (e.g made great contributions) existed and we today know him as "Jesus Christ" or simply "god", but I don't agree with all the supernatural things that others claim "god" did (e.g flood the world, make man & women, etc).

My friends, it about time to forgive me......... :D

transcendent

HSC
N/A
eh, i don't really care. as long as you don't do whatever you did before that made people argue against you all the time.

skim through the Atheism article on wiki and find out what you are.

berry580

HSC
transcendent said:
eh, i don't really care. as long as you don't do whatever you did before that made people argue against you all the time.

skim through the Atheism article on wiki and find out what you are.
First of all, I didn't "make" them argue against me. I have my perspective and they have their point of view, just because others have problem I can't help it, and I won't lower my tone to please others.

End of Story.

Well I don't think I exactly fit in any of them. Since I acknowledge their existence, but just not their supernatural abilities that the "bible or holy whatever" claimed.

Roughly speaking, I'll say I'm a "Strong atheism" since I'm quite persistent with the idea that this so called "god" is nothing more than a respectable human, and has no supernatural powers.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
you mean 'Jesus'

Strong Atheism means you completely and uttely deny the existence of god
Weak Atheism means you somewhat disregard the notion of the existence of god or don't think about it

well that's what i got from reading the article anyways.

i'm either Strong/Explicit Atheist or Ignostic.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
You're absolutely right. The inaccuracy of the Genesis account only disproves a literal interpretation of Genesis.
And how has the Genesis account been proved "inaccurate"?
The day someone convinces me that the Bible is a solely human construct to serve the needs of political/religious elite, then I'll give up my faith. The day someone proves there are inconsistencies and inaccuracies in the Bible, I'll give up my faith. But until then the Bible is God's word and infallible.

L

littlewing69

inasero said:
And how has the Genesis account been proved "inaccurate"?
Read it again.

1.) God is said to create the (more or less) modern world in 6 days, while science indicates that the present state of things took billions of years (galaxies forming, earth cooling, life developing etc). If you're a creationist, I don't want to argue with you, though. Creationism is faith disguised as reason so it is pointless to argue with a creationist.

2.) God is said to create woman out of man's somatic tissues--they have the same DNA. These two clones then reproduce with each other to have children (two sons). From these, supposedly the human race is descended. I don't suppose you could tell me where our genetic diversity comes from, if you don't believe in evolution.....

3.) Flood. This is ridiculous. Where did the water come from, where did it go? How did Noah get the billions of animals onto his little yacht? How did he feed them? Seriously, this is great mythology, it isn't rational.

If you honestly believe that Genesis (written in the first millenium BC from an amalgamation of source mythologies) is a true to life representation of human prehistory, then you need your head read. It doesn't gel with scientific knowledge regarding the rise of species, the origin of the universe, the size of the Earth, the number of lifeforms which inhabit the earth etc. etc. ad nauseum. It's some funny local mythology, nothing more.

L

littlewing69

inasero said:
But until then the Bible is God's word and infallible.
How do you know that? The people who collated the bible disagreed over what was scriptural and what wasn't, so obviously there is no clear distinction. The books were written by men, translated by men, and collected by men. I'd like to know where God comes into that process.

EDIT:

There are numerous contradictions and inaccuracies throughout the Bible. I don't want you to give up your faith by any means, but you should be aware that your holy text is not without its errors.

Example 1:

Genesis 1:14 tells us that the sun and moon were created...on the FOURTH DAY. This is clearly evidence that whoever wrote Genesis had no knowledge of how the solar system worked, or indeed what caused Night/Day.

Example 2:

Luke 11 says that all who seek God will find him.

"10For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

but two chapters later in Luke 13, this is contradicted.

" 24Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able."

Example 3:

There are palpable differences between gospel accounts. They can't all be absolutely correct. Matthew 8 tells of an incident in which Jesus cures TWO demon-possessed men. Yet Luke 8 and Mark 5 tell the same story, in which only ONE man is cured. Obviously, one version must be right and the other wrong, or both are wrong. I don't think God screws such trivialities up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)