Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Rinni

HSC
I think there are gaps in every theory/belief. I believe that god exists, I just think that if I don't believe in that what is there for me to believe in and turn to in times of need. God tends to act as a security blanket, he is our creator, protector, he is the most important influence in our lives. Even the lives of athiests. Much of our (western) society was built upon christian values and beliefs wasn't it??

polomolo

HSC
2) A hypothetical: If we provisionally accept that god exists, how do we know that the christian faith is the correct one (given how many others exist). Similarly, how do we know anything about god, e.g. how do we know that god is benevolent etc.

look, maybe you should read the previous posts and see how people have changed from muslim faiths to christian ones because they believe it to be 'the correct' one if you have to put it that way.
Muslim faith comes out of christian faith, it was christians who had arguments with each other and devided into different dinominations, which then branched out into muslim faith, Mohammad's grandparents were from a christian faith.

any other religion such as budhaism, this is a religion believing in nature and the power of nature. Nature is created by God, there is no power of nature without God.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
polomolo said:
thats just not acceptable.
i don't see why people would rather accept the theory of it appearing out of nowhere rather the fact that there is a major power behind all of this.
A second rule appears to go with 'X is true because I believe it to be so'... which we can call: 'X can't be true because it doesn't fit my conception of the way the universe should work'.

On multiple occaisions science has come up with discoveries which fly in the face of the second rule (invisible EM radiation?... A universal speed limit?... Probabalistic particles?) and yet, they have been able to make accurate predictions about the future (in experiments etc) based on these ideas. Experience would suggest that relying on the latter rule is a mistake.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
polomolo said:
look, maybe you should read the previous posts and see how people have changed from muslim faiths to christian ones because they believe it to be 'the correct' one if you have to put it that way.
Muslim faith comes out of christian faith, it was christians who had arguments with each other and devided into different dinominations, which then branched out into muslim faith, Mohammad's grandparents were from a christian faith.

any other religion such as budhaism, this is a religion believing in nature and the power of nature. Nature is created by God, there is no power of nature without God.
Conversion of belief does not necesarily require truth. If you went to a village which had had little contect with the outside world you could probably convince them that the world is flat if you told them it was the case for long enough. To argue that 'X is true because LOTS of people believe it to be so' is a logical fallacy (in most cases) known as argumentum ad populum. To spin that same argument against you, consider that there were times when other religions dominated... does that mean that they were 'correct' at that point in time, simply because they had convinced the most people?

polomolo

HSC
well listen dagwoman, your wasting your time debating on this subject, because your not learning anything, all of you keep sticking to your opinions and are attacking and backfiring everything i say.
My whole point was to "stop" having debates, and stop saying i'm ranting, because you are trying to debate with me but you are arguing with God, your telling him Show us yourself or we wont believe you, and he is simply sayin 'no it is not going to work that way' and i'm teling you to go and read the bible. but you keep saying 'no we dont read stuff, we want to see stuff'. then God keeps teling you, 'no it doesnt work that way, believe and accept Jesus in your heart', and you keep sayin 'no what if you dont really exist'. and i'm telling you that you wont lose anything if you try the christian faith, rather you will be glad you took it as a lifestyle in your life.

you are not ever going to get loglical and worldly proof of God's existence, accept if you encounter a sent one who does miracles in the name of God, there has been many of these people. Jesus himself was not believed so why should any other one be believed?

If you are not convinced with what the christian faith is, then i'm telling you now, this is what every christian will tell you. they will tell you to believe in the Lord and accept Jesus as your life Saviour. if you want to continue to look for physical or visible proof, you will not find it. i'm going to leave this forum now and not come back, its enough doing my job.

if youre realy interested and want to find out more, go to a church and read the bible. This is the only evidence available. you don't want to believe? well i guess you'll believe the moment you stand infront of God.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Okay, you totally didn't take on a word I said.

But hey, believe what you want. Whatever gets you out of bed in the morning.

lengy

HSC
Blind faith. :rolleyes: Change 'god' to 'invisible pink unicorn' or any other silly supernatural entity.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
well listen dagwoman, your wasting your time debating on this subject, because your not learning anything, all of you keep sticking to your opinions and are attacking and backfiring everything i say.
Pot, kettle, black.

You are also sticking to your opinions and attacking what we say.

My whole point was to "stop" having debates, and stop saying i'm ranting, because you are trying to debate with me but you are arguing with God
You presume to speak for God?...

teling you to go and read the bible
I've read it, front to back, honestly. I've also had from year 7-12 of christian education to take me through the bible and explain to me the various sections, but I guess you'll say I didn't have an open enough heart or something.

you are not ever going to get loglical and worldly proof of God's existence
Then I'll never believe.

accept if you encounter a sent one who does miracles in the name of God, there has been many of these people. Jesus himself was not believed so why should any other one be believed?
How do we know the reason he wasn't believed wasn't because he DIDN'T actually perform the miracles? There's no good evidence that he really did perform any of them.

if you want to continue to look for physical or visible proof, you will not find it.
Then God has sentenced me to hell already, he gave me a mind that hungers for evidence yet expects me to believe such amazing things without any evidence.

HSC
polomolo said:

Many Christians have also changed into Muslims. Does that prove anything? No. No more than conversions into the opposite direction do. The Muslim Faith actually comes from Judaism, as does Christianity, which was a minority jewish sect. Jesus was one of many young jewish reformists- he was the lucky one who gained enough notoriety after his death to gather followers.

Mohammed's grandparents were tribespeople.

Buddhism is about self enlightenment and spiritual awareness.

"Nature is created by God, there is no power of nature without God"

A theory, that's all.

How do you know God 'sponsors' Christianity? God/Allah/Yaweh are all the same God anyway- Allah and Yaweh is just 'God' in another language.

polomolo said:
you are not ever going to get loglical and worldly proof of God's existence, accept if you encounter a sent one who does miracles in the name of God, there has been many of these people. Jesus himself was not believed so why should any other one be believed?
It's been 2000 years, according to your Faith, since the last messenger of God came. In 2000 years...1 messenger. What's wrong, God run out of holy men?

kaviii

HSC
polomolo said:

hahah, one of the funniest post

Christians have converted to the Islamic faith too does that make it correct?

Muslim faith comes out of christian faith, it was christians who had arguments with each other and devided into different dinomination

Right...Islam and Christianity may came from the same roots but Islam is not an off branch of Christianity, Muhammed wasnt a Christian, he did not reject Judaism and Christianity but thinks he is sent by God[Allah] to perfect their teachings, just like how Jesus wants to perfect judaism

Buddhist do not believe in nature and the power of nature, Buddhist do not worship nature, they follow Buddhas teaching on Self-Awareness and Enlightment, I do not think Buddha would actually talk about a "God" because Buddhism is an athetist religion

EDIT:Fix you spelling mate

L

littlewing69

polomolo said:
look just admit it, you are going to complain at all the styles that i write this in, it doesnt work that way mate, its not that easy to be a christian, for everything to be so easily set out for you to just accept it. its not a recipe to make a piece of cake. and plus 'might read it' pfft i dont care if you don't, i'm just happy i did my job as a christian to try and show you what to do with your life, just like another christian did to me when i was in a lost stage.
You're very presumptuous, aren't you. I'm well versed in Christianity, and I don't need to read your rant to discover the 'real truth'. I've read the Bible, and about a thousand books about it, and have probably spent the better part of a year, cumulatively, in church services.

The style you write something in has a great impact on its reception. If you can't write clearly, I'm going to assume, rightly or wrongly, that you can't think clearly either.

I'm glad Christianity gives you meaning, but please don't think you have the truth for us all, and please don't imply that the rest of us are 'lost'.

Cheers.

PS: Jesus was into humility, not arrogance.

L

littlewing69

polomolo said:
There's plenty of converts to Islam as well. What does that prove, anyway?

Please go read a book about world religions. You really have no clue.

amyrowe

HSC
i dont really care if god is real or not. i simply refuse to follow a god who is willing to make me burn in hell for eternity just because i made a wrong decision in my short lifetime.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
256 pages, does anyone here truly, genuinely believe they know how life or the universe began? I say a big green monkey called bobo created the universe and life itself, prove me wrong.

256 pages of wasted time, truly disturbing.

lengy

HSC
Much like your opinions on homosexuality and abortions.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
lengy said:
Much like your opinions on homosexuality and abortions.
Yeah me and my minimal respect for human life and social decency, lucky the political parties people such as youself support have a great governmental majority and are instituting gay marraige and abortion on demand as we speak .. oh wait ..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
bshoc said:
256 pages, does anyone here truly, genuinely believe they know how life or the universe began? I say a big green monkey called bobo created the universe and life itself, prove me wrong.
oh but technically that would be what we call "burden of proof" ;)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
bshoc said:

256 pages of wasted time, truly disturbing.
The length of the thread mainly indicates the importance of the subject matter.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If you want to allow such supernatural arguments then you cannot prove ANYTHING bshoc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)