Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
snapperhead said:
you have missed the point by quoting me out of context...*tut tut tut*
The thread topic is on the existence of God. People have been arguing there is no proof/physical eveidence and my point was/is that a believer does not need proof as their faith is their proof of the existence of God. If they didnt have faith, they wouldnt believe in God .: faith = proof to a believer
Belief without proof is pure foolishness. What's to stop me believing in the great flying goat-god Gorgamel? I don't have any proof, but hey I believe it. Call me crazy but I highly doubt you'd be willing to believe in it too. Likewise if I said I'd been abducted by aliens, you'd want to have some sort of evidence or else you'd be SLIGHTLY skeptical!

Faith is belief without evidence. Belief without evidence is unjustified, propositionally.

Pace Setter said:
And who decides what constitutes as proof? Is there a set of rules written somewhere that decides what is proof, and what isn't?
Something as opposed to nothing would be a start. Human beings have an amazing faculity called reason. We have refined our thinking into forms of logic upon which we can make the best, most well justified decisions. Additionally we need material facts upon which this logic can work, notwithstanding certain epistemological questions that will get us nowhere.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i find as a muslim i have proof that god exists
i have faith in my religon
but i also see the koran as proof
in the koran there is many chapters that reveal things
like..the koran says something..and its true..coz its been proven itself
scientific stuff mostly

scientific stuff that was revealed 1426 or somethig years ago in the koran
that exist now..that scientist in todays age have only discovered
thats my proof..

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
soha said:
i find as a muslim i have proof that god exists
i have faith in my religon
but i also see the koran as proof
in the koran there is many chapters that reveal things
like..the koran says something..and its true..coz its been proven itself
scientific stuff mostly

scientific stuff that was revealed 1426 or somethig years ago in the koran
that exist now..that scientist in todays age have only discovered
thats my proof..
same ^^^^^

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
since its the current argument...

well....

for those that say to believe is out of faith.. yes I agree 100%...

however... it is not true that God's existence cannot be proven true...

as soha said..scientific evidence... etc...

it really depends on ur resources...
I mean looking at the earth around me is enough proof that God exists...
God creating a tsunami destroying over 200000 lives in an instant, makes my faith even stronger in believing that the creator can take our lives whenever he wishes.. and there's no escape...

And me as a muslim... i admit that the tsunami devastation.. was infact.. God's anger unleashing on many muslims (most of the dead are infact muslims).... due especially to the corruption occuring in the hit countries..

Indonesia for example... christian preachers.. were offering many indonesian muslims.. large sums of money.. to sell their religion Islam.. and convert to christinaity...its true... u can deny it as much as u like.. but that is why 50 million muslim indonesians left the religion in the past few years...the corruption of muslims being the fact that they're selling their religion.. over wealth and worldy matters..not all were bought out of their religion to christanity or other religions.. some were just told leave the religion and stretch out ur arm.. will give u such and such amount of money....

And i'm not sure whether the media has actually told a few stories that i know.. but i doubt they have.. correct me if i'm wrong...

many ppl saw the waves getting closer and larger.. and so in due action some decided to flee to the closest mosque.. and whilst the ppl were on the roof tops of many mosques, they saw the water seperating before it hit the walls of the mosque... as in the water hardly even scraped the msoque...

Many many mosques in indonesia remained standing.. even though everything around them was destoyed... and although some may say that its because the mosques were bulit stronger and could withstand the power of the tsunami.. what explains the wooden mosque that was still alive and well....

If u really want evidence u can find evidence.. but if u want it spoon fed.. u'll never find it...

the evidnce is all infront of u.. its a matter of getting off ur back side and picking it up... If u really want evidence of God's existance.. it wont be given to u on a simple forum.. because the evidnece of God's existance.. is so visible.. and is so extreme.. it could take over 5000000 years to write down evidence of God's existance... from something so small to the size of an atom.. all the way to the largest sea... u will find eveidnce.. and like i said.. 5000000 years of rock solid writing will never fit in one post...or one forum...

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
physician said:
Indonesia for example... christian preachers.. were offering many indonesian muslims.. large sums of money.. to sell their religion Islam.. and convert to christinaity
Whow.. far out..
Man.. im Indonesian yet i've never heard about that in my island..

And about the mosques...
It's to my knowledge that to have a small surface area to be exposed to a tsunami (ie the columns of the mosques) presents the minimum amount of risk that the building may collapse.

It's not really about strength... it's how they're built... but i guess the wooden mosque story is interesting..

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
btw im also a muslim

Katie Tully said:
This bloke comes to school, says science proves nothing, tells us everything in science is a lie. then shows us a video of a scientific experiement, proving the flood created the grand canyon, and not weathering/erosion.
What flood?
If that guy haven't known.. floods are a form of weathering and erosion...
What's he (that religion preacher) on about?

physician

HSC
AntiHyper said:
Whow.. far out..
Man.. im Indonesian yet i've never heard about that in my island....
yeh.. i only found out that that was actually occuring after the tsunami hit.. and plus it's become wide spread recently.. in a "FEW" years.... 50 million left the religion...

And i also heard.. i'm not sure.. but it was from quite a reliable source.. that an arabic station cought images when the tsunami first occured.. and in the middle of the ocean it had "God the almighty".. written in arabic... probably sattelite imgaes.. i'm not quite sure.. i'll have to get back to everyone on how the images were caught....

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Belief without proof is pure foolishness. What's to stop me believing in the great flying goat-god Gorgamel? I don't have any proof, but hey I believe it. Call me crazy but I highly doubt you'd be willing to believe in it too.
Nothing is stopping you from believing that. That is the wonder of faith. And unlike most on this board, if that is your faith, I will not attack you or not believe you for believing that as that would make me a hypocrite (and it would make you a hypocrite as well)
Likewise if I said I'd been abducted by aliens, you'd want to have some sort of evidence or else you'd be SLIGHTLY skeptical!
Yes, I would be slightly skeptical but I fail to see the relevance of this analogy to the concept of the existence of God. In fact, this is an overused example to discredit the existence of God that has no bearing on the argument at all as they are in no way related. Just the same as saying, "I feel like having a {insert very unhealthy food here} now" but you disagree with the notion as you are a health freak (for arguments sake). What has it got to do with faith?

And by saying that "Belief without proof is pure foolishness.", you are contradicting yourself ie you said in post #2910
Faith is belief in something without proof
What is it? (I hope you do better than this in your chosen career! LOL) ANd plase dont say that faith and belief are separate as they are not (in a religious context)

As I have said, those that say they believe in God do so out of faith and their faith is their proof to the existence of God and the proof of the existence of God is in their faith. As someone who obviously has no 'religious' faith (re to the existence of God which you are entitled to have), this would make no sense to you and arguing semantics means you will never understand it!

Something as opposed to nothing would be a start. Human beings have an amazing faculity called reason. We have refined our thinking into forms of logic upon which we can make the best, most well justified decisions. Additionally we need material facts upon which this logic can work, notwithstanding certain epistemological questions that will get us nowhere.
Whilst this is true in the areas of science etc, those that believe/have faith/claim religion etc have their rational reasoning (egs outlined above from a Muslim context for eg). Just you dont understand or more to the point disagree with those rationalisations doesnt make them incorrect for that is saying that "your" logic is better than "ours" (for want of a collective term). Not only is that arrogance and hubris but who are you to say that you are better than me? (again as an example...nothing personal). Those that have faith have material facts, have logic and rationalisation but you (collective term) wont accept these (from our perspective) as being real. You (again as a collective term) think that our refinement of thought into well formed and justified decissions is wrong based upon your logic but to use an example that Im sure you could identify with, if someone chooses (through logic etc) to kill someone, are they wrong? If their logic formed their decission (law aside-but then the law is an outside factor dictated by other people much like some of the lines used in this thread), are they wrong?
Yet again, another irrelevant example that has been used in this topic that makes no sense at all.......

more food for thought

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
You know some of the lunar landing missions back in the 70s were just hoaxes.
I've figured out one proof:

You know that everytime you look up into the moon, you see the same face (ie the same surface features of the moon)
That is because the moon's axial rotation is synchronised to it's orbital period.
Ok.. now I saw a lunar mission where they've shot an "Earth Rise".
This implies that the moon rotation goes either shorter or longer than its orbital period.
This is WRONG. If you're on the surface of the moon looking at Earth, you'd see it at the same position all the time.

Hehe it took me 2 nights dream to figure this out.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
AntiHyper said:

You know that everytime you look up into the moon, you see the same face (ie the same surface features of the moon)
That is because the moon's axial rotation is synchronised to it's orbital period.
This implies that the moon rotation goes either shorter or longer than its orbital period.
This is WRONG. If you're on the surface of the moon looking at Earth, you'd see it at the same position all the time.

Sorry but i dont see how that contributes to this discussion, even if true.

Kulazzi

HSC
physician said:
Indonesia for example... christian preachers.. were offering many indonesian muslims.. large sums of money.. to sell their religion Islam.. and convert to christinaity...its true... u can deny it as much as u like.. but that is why 50 million muslim indonesians left the religion in the past few years...the corruption of muslims being the fact that they're selling their religion.. over wealth and worldy matters..not all were bought out of their religion to christanity or other religions.. some were just told leave the religion and stretch out ur arm.. will give u such and such amount of money....
Brother, I don't mean to attack here, but you cannot make assumptions on why God created the tsunami. How did you know it was because of the christian preachers theory? Can you back it up?

All I'm trying to say is that Allah (SWT) knows best. You cannot make a reason on why He caused the tsunami.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
physician said:
yeh.. i only found out that that was actually occuring after the tsunami hit.. and plus it's become wide spread recently.. in a "FEW" years.... 50 million left the religion...

And i also heard.. i'm not sure.. but it was from quite a reliable source.. that an arabic station cought images when the tsunami first occured.. and in the middle of the ocean it had "God the almighty".. written in arabic... probably sattelite imgaes.. i'm not quite sure.. i'll have to get back to everyone on how the images were caught....
<insert religious god/allah/guy in the sky> created a tsunami? From what I heard it was simply just the moving of tectonic plates. I haven't got the biggest faith in the spirit above, but I can't really see that god would write a message in the sea because that would discriminate against all his illiterate children. If there are photos of it, then god must be good at photoshop.

physician

HSC
Kulazzi said:
Brother, I don't mean to attack here, but you cannot make assumptions on why God created the tsunami. How did you know it was because of the christian preachers theory? Can you back it up?

All I'm trying to say is that Allah (SWT) knows best. You cannot make a reason on why He caused the tsunami.

U know what.. i think ur absolutely correct.. and i apologise for the comment i made... ur right.. Allah subhanahu wata3allah does know best...

however a fact is.. as the day of judgemnt comes closer and closer.. earthquakes will increase.. and become more common.. and The tsunami.. actually brought people closer to their religion... the fact that Allah saved all those mosques has brought thousands of people back to the right path...

Kierkegaard

HSC
The earthquake was an event in the causal chain of the universe, independent of any incorporeal deity. It was caused by shifting in tectonic plates (as previously stated, not Allah or the Judeo-Christian God or even a pagan Goddess.

You do realise that there are less natural disasters these days than there was several thousand years ago? There is not an increasing number as we reach the 'end-times'. So, why did Allah choose now for the 'end-times'? Surely the crusades seemed a better time.
[comment]Don't you dare quote me![/comment]

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
AntiHyper said:

Was this the Earth Rise taken from Lunar Orbit :p in which the craft was orbiting the moon? I think it was Apollo 8 that did that, before any landing.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
snapperhead said:
Nothing is stopping you from believing that. That is the wonder of faith.
"Wonder" indeed, as for one to believe in something without any proof is a miraculous phenomenon of self-deception: if there is no reason for the belief, why would one have the belief? Answer with something more substantial than "faith", because what that really equates to is, "I don't have any evidence, I just believe it", which as I just discussed, is somewhat strange and unjustified.

snapperhead said:
Yes, I would be slightly skeptical but I fail to see the relevance of this analogy to the concept of the existence of God. In fact, this is an overused example to discredit the existence of God that has no bearing on the argument at all as they are in no way related. Just the same as saying, "I feel like having a {insert very unhealthy food here} now" but you disagree with the notion as you are a health freak (for arguments sake). What has it got to do with faith?
No, the analogy is relevant. Your example is about taste, something subjective. We are talking about a FACT, something true or false.

snapperhead said:
And by saying that "Belief without proof is pure foolishness.", you are contradicting yourself ie you said in post #2910: "Faith is belief in something without proof."
What is it? (I hope you do better than this in your chosen career! LOL) ANd plase dont say that faith and belief are separate as they are not (in a religious context)
It is very clear that I was not defining faith as pure foolishness, I was simply saying that it is an act of pure foolishness to have said faith (believe without proof). The manner in which I expressed the act's attribute makes perfect sense, for example:

"Rap is a genre of music"
"Rap is silly"

It is obvious I am not setting the definition of rap as "silly" per se - clearly I am describing an attribute of rap.

snapperhead said:
As I have said, those that say they believe in God do so out of faith and their faith is their proof to the existence of God and the proof of the existence of God is in their faith.
No no no, I must stop you here. This is an atrocious fallacy of circular reasoning.

Firstly, you're going against the very definition of faith, as I said before. What is faith? The belief in something without proof. The faith of someone (ie. their lack of proof) is their proof? That does not make any sense.

Moreover, by saying "my faith is my proof," what you're really saying is "I dont have any proof, but I believe anyway."

snapperhead said:
As someone who obviously has no 'religious' faith (re to the existence of God which you are entitled to have), this would make no sense to you and arguing semantics means you will never understand it!
I understand logic and reasoning. I understand how to make decisions and how to form conclusions that are justifiable. I back up my arguments, and I think that is to be expected. You on the other hand are saying two very infuriating things:

1. I believe but I don't have any proof. I have faith.
2. Your reasoning is wrong because you just don't understand faith.

And yet you can't seem to explain faith as anything other than it is already defined as - lack of proof. It equates to saying:

"I dont have any proof but you don't understand my lack of proof."

Not very convincing. I would also note that I am not an atheist, I am agnostic.

snapperhead said:
Whilst this is true in the areas of science etc, those that believe/have faith/claim religion etc have their rational reasoning (egs outlined above from a Muslim context for eg). Just you dont understand or more to the point disagree with those rationalisations doesnt make them incorrect for that is saying that "your" logic is better than "ours" (for want of a collective term).
Oh you have your own divine logic do you? Let's see it, then we might get somewhere. And if you say the Bible is a form of logic I will scream.

snapperhead said:
Not only is that arrogance and hubris but who are you to say that you are better than me? (again as an example...nothing personal).
I never said I am better than you, express or implied.

snapperhead said:
Those that have faith have material facts, have logic and rationalisation but you (collective term) wont accept these (from our perspective) as being real. You (again as a collective term) think that our refinement of thought into well formed and justified decissions is wrong based upon your logic but to use an example that Im sure you could identify with, if someone chooses (through logic etc) to kill someone, are they wrong? If their logic formed their decission (law aside-but then the law is an outside factor dictated by other people much like some of the lines used in this thread), are they wrong?
Firstly, like I said before, show me this "logic" you have.

Secondly, we are not discussing morality here, but moral theory is highly complex and there are so many conflicting viewpoints. However upon a utilitarian approach, if it produced the greatest happiness to the maximum number of people to kill someone, then the person was justified in doing so.

Last edited:

Kulazzi

HSC
Physician: In regards to the arabic station, I received and email from my cousin about this. The waves crashing onto the shore and formed the arabic word Allah. Here is the link form the SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/01/10/1105206024347.html

And here is a shortcut to the photo if anyone wants to see it. If you don't know how Allah is written in Arabic, then just ignore the picture :rolleyes:

Kulazzi

HSC
Kierkegaard said:
The earthquake was an event in the causal chain of the universe, independent of any incorporeal deity. It was caused by shifting in tectonic plates (as previously stated, not Allah or the Judeo-Christian God or even a pagan Goddess.

You do realise that there are less natural disasters these days than there was several thousand years ago? There is not an increasing number as we reach the 'end-times'. So, why did Allah choose now for the 'end-times'? Surely the crusades seemed a better time.
[comment]Don't you dare quote me![/comment]
Kierkegaard, I don't think physician was implying that now is the end time. He is just stating the obvious, from Islam's perspective, about signs to look out for when judgment day is near. You may believe that it was caused by the shifting of tectonic plates, but we believe that God has caused it. We all have our different views.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Kulazzi said:
Physician: In regards to the arabic station, I received and email from my cousin about this. The waves crashing onto the shore and formed the arabic word Allah. Here is the link form the SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/01/10/1105206024347.html

And here is a shortcut to the photo if anyone wants to see it. If you don't know how Allah is written in Arabic, then just ignore the picture :rolleyes:
suphan allah
thats so cool
there has been many incidents of that
like your hand spells allah
if u put it up to ur face
with your thumb pointing to the left
and they found a bee hive that said allah
so many beautiful things
i shud find pics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)