Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

tag.twix

HSC
Originally Posted by sly fly said:
i dont think u ppl realise that SCIENCE IS NOT OPPOSED TO THE EXISTENCE OF A GOD.....it's possible that God exists without that affecting science u know
MoonlightSonata said:
Um.. yeh, so?
moonlight.. you sound lile a prick... my opinion so dont get offended..

you dont seem to take on what other people are saying.. reading your posts.. it seems that you think you are superior to everyone.. my opinion again so dont get offended

you cant just say 'Um.. yeh, so?' itsl ike ignorant..

i myself do not believe in god just wanted to say its people like you.. people to not consider anything and just deny what other poeple say (even those who strongly believe in religion) gets abit tiresome

moonlight just consider what other people say.. do your research... science believes that there is a 'transendent being' dont be a prick and just reply with somethign constructive

no trouble meant here == )

my opinion.. god did not have anything to do with the bible' it was written by man.. same thing about the quran

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
tag.twix said:
you dont seem to take on what other people are saying.. reading your posts.. it

no trouble meant here == )

my opinion.. god did not have anything to do with the bible' it was written by man.. same thing about the quran
have u read the bible or quaran..understood them both?
or just reject them because u choose not to believe in god..therefore believe they are written by man?
just wondering..

waterfowl

HSC
tag.twix said:
moonlight.. you sound lile a prick... my opinion so dont get offended..

you dont seem to take on what other people are saying.. reading your posts.. it seems that you think you are superior to everyone.. my opinion again so dont get offended

you cant just say 'Um.. yeh, so?' itsl ike ignorant..

i myself do not believe in god just wanted to say its people like you.. people to not consider anything and just deny what other poeple say (even those who strongly believe in religion) gets abit tiresome

moonlight just consider what other people say.. do your research... science believes that there is a 'transendent being' dont be a prick and just reply with somethign constructive
I can safely say that Moonlight is not a prick.

I believe the "um.....yeh so" comment was not ignorant, but rather it was his way of asking "what's your point?". You have to admit it was a bit out of the blue comment by sly fly.

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
Keen said:
Actually while it does seem a silly argument, it has actually been proven that the brain has an area which it respons well to a feeling of enlightenment etc (New Scientist, vol 170, no. 2287, April 21 2001 pp. 24-28).
The conclusions they drew were that either God created this part in our brain so we could be in touch with him, or that because of this we needed to create god. (interestingly I heard a christian leader refer to this study and concluded that it is proof that god exists - this is the difference between science and religion (religious people love to be ignorant)).

I've said this all before previously, but it's here for your sake.

Keen
A lot of people in science love to be ignorant...:p

vTr

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
The posts in the other thread didn't address this.

Does God exist? Why or why not?

Please state reasons, not simply "I believe this."

if you need a reason to believe in god you might aswell not ever believe in god,
read the bible, think of it more as a story full of morels than accounts of history.

btw: i believe in god,
reason: well do scientists have a clear accurate provable explanation of our existence, or just a theory.....

K

katie_tully

vTr said:
if you need a reason to believe in god you might aswell not ever believe in god,
read the bible, think of it more as a story full of morels than accounts of history.

reason: well do scientists have a clear accurate provable explanation of our existence, or just a theory.....
If you knew the theories, you'd realise how credible they are.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
The lower classes, especially, have always felt the need for a "higher power" or a sense of redemption. This, historically, was basically because they had shitty lives and nothing else to look forward to except paying taxes and giving over their crops to the King. Belief in an essentially "good" higher power gave them a small measure of happiness in their lives, and the idea of the "afterlife" gave them hope for something beyond their own existence.
Alternatively, humankind has been recorded to be a very selfish race (check out the way we waste our natural resources), and having someone or something else to pin our "sins" is a way of removing our responsibility for our actions. I witnessed a process at a prayer meeting whereby believers wrote their innermost secrets and problems on a piece of paper and stuck it onto a picture of Jesus on the cross, therefore symbolising the transferral of responsibility for their "sins". This is find disturbing, merely because it is a trend echoed in the modern world, especially with all the liability problems we now have (see the dork who dived into a sandbank and sued).
I'm choosing not to get into this debate, because my own opinion is that God does not have a physical existence, merely he has been created by Man as a way to lessen the burden in our lives.

And before anyone flames and points out that upper classes also had their periods of religious fever, I'm discussing the tendency of the lower classes to blindly follow religion, often the upper classes merely continued a trend over thousands of years and used religion to suppress the lower classes. Fear of a vengeful God is a powerful thing, is it not?

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

Josie said:
The lower classes, especially, have always felt the need for a "higher power" or a sense of redemption. This, historically, was basically because they had shitty lives and nothing else to look forward to except paying taxes and giving over their crops to the King. Belief in an essentially "good" higher power gave them a small measure of happiness in their lives, and the idea of the "afterlife" gave them hope for something beyond their own existence.
Alternatively, humankind has been recorded to be a very selfish race (check out the way we waste our natural resources), and having someone or something else to pin our "sins" is a way of removing our responsibility for our actions. Witnessing a process at a prayer meeting whereby believers wrote their innermost secrets and problems on a piece of paper and stuck it onto a picture of Jesus on the cross, therefore symbolising the transferral of responsibility for their "sins". This is find disturbing, merely because it is a trend echoed in the modern world, especially with all the liability problems we now have (see the dork who dived into a sandbank and sued).
I'm choosing not to get into this debate, because my own opinion is that God does not have a physical existence, merely he has been created by Man as a way to lessen the burden in our lives.

And before anyone flames and points out that upper classes also had their periods of religious fever, I'm discussing the tendency of the lower classes to blindly follow religion, often the upper classes merely continued a trend over thousands of years and used religion to suppress the lower classes. Fear of a vengeful God is a powerful thing, is it not?
True/Not true.
I think if you research that more, you'll find alot of lower class families were religious, because they had it shoved down their throats.
Look at the time of the Tudor dynasty. Lower class people worked, and worked, and the only time off they had was Sundays. They then spent their Sundays in mass, being taught by priests how they should live.
At the same time, higher class people were just as afraid of a vengeful God, hence the need for daily mass.

vTr

HSC
katie_tully said:
If you knew the theories, you'd realise how credible they are.
ive studied the theories, and ontop of that i dont wish to argue it always turns into a round argument
imho would not achieve anything ,

you can take a n00b to water but you cant make a n00b drink....
:)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
katie_tully said:
True/Not true.
I think if you research that more, you'll find alot of lower class families were religious, because they had it shoved down their throats.
Yes, hence the suppression of the masses. In many cases, it was an actual belief, but in many others, as you say, they had no choice in the matter.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Heh, the history of religion fascinates me... however the religion itself I can do without...

vTr

HSC
sorry if this is off topic , can you please telll me how to change the caption under my name :/

future thanks : tyvm

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
vTr said:
ive studied the theories, and ontop of that i dont wish to argue it always turns into a round argument
imho would not achieve anything ,

you can take a n00b to water but you cant make a n00b drink....
:)
y not?.......

i mean if a noob can walk, y cant they drink?

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

vTr said:
sorry if this is off topic , can you please telll me how to change the caption under my name :/

future thanks : tyvm
um, you have to be signed up for more than 260? days, or need 1000 REP points. something like that.

vTr

HSC
katie_tully said:
um, you have to be signed up for more than 260? days, or need 1000 REP points. something like that.
how does one obtain these so called "rep points"

I SHAL RULE YOU ALLL..... or not....

vTr

HSC
btw "katie_tully" has anyone mentioned you applied too much contrast to your avatar image it looks not as good as it could be :p

<-- works 2 much with graphics :/

K

katie_tully

vTr said:
btw "katie_tully" has anyone mentioned you applied too much contrast to your avatar image it looks not as good as it could be :p

<-- works 2 much with graphics :/
you may be interested to know i didnt touch the contrast, it's just the way it came out on the webcam.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
vTr said:
scientists have some evidence to support their theory.
Does the church have any proof that God exists, besides a biased document written supposedly 2000 years ago?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)