• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Josie said:
Honest question: BEFORE YOU DIE, IN THIS LIFETIME.

How has religion made your life better? Is it making it better? Or is it merely the promise of the afterlife? I'm asking about this lifetime, the one you're living right this moment. How is belief in a Supreme Being making your life better RIGHT NOW?

K, Cool, I used to be a Christian of sorts. My daily life HAS NOT CHANGED one instant since I ceased to stop believing that stuff (by the time I turned 11...)... so how is religion making your life better?

I'm not trying to insult anyone here either. Just an honest question.
religon has made my life better because it has helped me understand the purpose of life
the meaning of life
what im here for..where im going..how to get there
what to do..what not to do
how to live..
a way of life..
if there was no religon to tell us what to do..or to follow..i cant imagine what i would be doing
what i would be living for?..how i would be living..what the purpose would be
neways...im so over this thread
it really depresses me readign half the stuff posted here
such a sensative topic..easy to argue..

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If i were to be totally honest, following a religion has not changed my life, I would be exactly the same as I am now (except for the obvious part that i wouldnt follow a religion)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
u dont know that 4 sure
if religon was never introduced to you ..ever..like no concept of god
nothing liek that since u were a child
im sure ur life would be a whole lot different

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah its not only about god
well i really dont know u and what u were taught when u were younger
or what religon u are or were
but i think..that if no one told me anything about religon..or if there was no religon in my life
i would be a total different person
as apposed to now...
so following religon would change ur life as apposed to not following religon
coz if u follow a religon properly..u will find its alot stricter then just living life without religous beliefs and morals and teachings and stuff

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I follow my religion strictly to the extent that I follow its moral guidance and ethical teaching, other then regular devotion to God there is nothing else that I wouldnt be doing the same without God

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
soha said:
religon has made my life better because it has helped me understand the purpose of life
the meaning of life
what im here for..where im going..how to get there
what to do..what not to do
how to live..
a way of life..
if there was no religon to tell us what to do..or to follow..i cant imagine what i would be doing
what i would be living for?..how i would be living..what the purpose would be
neways...im so over this thread
it really depresses me readign half the stuff posted here
such a sensative topic..easy to argue..
I'd rather discover my purpose myself, than have someone else dictate it to me.. but that's a personal preference of course.

Pace Setter

There always seems to be some sort of confusion when many speak about the "after-effects" of a newly-aquired "belief in god." There are always those that ask (for confirmation/proof) of some sort of "improvement" in life as a result of a newly-aquired "belief in god."

But this isn't how it works. The ones who request confirmation of this "improvement" have got "cause" and "result" mixed up. A "belief in god" is almost never the cause for what most would call "an improvement in life." A "belief in god" can, actually, only be the result, rather than the cause of an "improvement in life."

This error needs to be understood; otherwise there'd be no end to the "give evidence on how your choice in believing in god has been a worthwhile one" series of questions.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
That's not what I'm asking, Pace Setter... I'm merely asking the benefits gained in this life as an honest question... not questioning or saying "well why do you believe in god then".

somechick

HSC
N/A
What really depresses me soha is that people continue to believe that science is some kind of new God. That science everyday is making our lives better, we are living a better life by doing less through technology living a hedonistic life etc getting fatter, material subsitutes living in this captilist and consumerist society. That science everyday is proving Allah's existence wrong.

The Big Bang was reffered to 1500 years ago by a illiterate man named Mohammed. He also spoke of embryonic birth and the expansion of the universe. How can this be? He could not have travelled time, and he couldn't have made it up because clearly he was never schooled.
Allah's existence is everday being PROVED by science. When Edwin Hubble found that the universe was expanding he didn't know that it was already recorded in the Quran 1500 years ago.

As humans we are only given five senses to understand the world. I wouldn't KNOW that the tree outside existed if i couldn't see, hear, smell or feel it. The same goes for everything else. I mean just because we cant see the millions of electromagnetic waves as well as the millions of neutrinos that happen to pass us before you even started reading this doesn't mean they dont exist. I cant see the x rays or any other waves restricted by our eyes from the spectrum. There are pehaps other senses we dont have.

We cant see Allah because he is beyond our comprehension. He/She/It is not anything we can understand. People clearly want to see Allah. Why cant we look straight into a solar eclipse? It will blind us. This is a creation and people want to see the creator. Can you imagine that? What happend to Musa-allaai-he-wasallum? They demanded proof and they died by a mere shadow. We read Thucydides today and believe that a 50 year grand scale war occured between sparta and athens thousands of years ago. Why is it so hard to read The Quran the same way? All of those things actually happend. Some smart ass sitting in a cave could have never conjured up things like that, particularly if the smart ass didn't know how to read or write (toba anuzubillah).

Read the book by Dan Brown: angels and demons, page 420. I figure since no body here is going to read the full Quran and merely prod and poke at it while bringing in cultural bias fed to them by the media, then mainstream text will do.
I can type it here for anyone who wants to read it.

And to Not that bright, The Christians, Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists ancient Egyptians, ancient greeks, whatever, they all worship/ed the same God. There is only one God. This is fundamental. Bismillah he rahman ne rahim: "There is only one God". When you hear about the egyptians worshipping Amun-Re, do you really think Allah will wipe them all out because they had it wrong? The most influential of all ancient societies? No of course not. (toba anuzibillah).
Furthermore, if God never did exist, then why is the topic on the tips of EVERYONE'S tongues. There are still ancient tribes out there who are so secluded from the modern world, and yet they believe in a higher power. How can they even THINK of that possibility? Its in human nature, it binds us all.

Like Galileo said, Science and religion are working towards a common goal.

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hooray for free speech.. and I hope that point of view sustains you, because it could never do the same for me.

Pace Setter

The "Why do you believe in god" question is perfectly reasonable, as it's asking for the cause (the "why" or "how") of the effect (belief in god).

But the "I'm merely asking the benfits gained in this life" question assumes the possibility that the "belief in god" has CAUSED/is the cause of some sort of benefit in life.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Pace Setter: Indeed, I'm enquiring as to the nature of any sort of benefit in life. I would hope there would be some benefit, otherwise what is the point?

somechick: I don't need a belief system, I don't feel the need for any superior being, and religion merely depresses me. But it obviously works for you, so that's fine.

Last edited:

somechick

HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
This sentence is written with no mistakes. Looks like im a god too. Woot.

Yes but there is a mistake. Its called bias. You are the one approving your own post.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Im not going to be 'screwed' because I know there is no god, simple as that, I pity people who believe there is, such wasted lives. Aernt YOU worried that your wasting valuable time in your life over something that doesnt exist? Or aernt YOU worried that your life wont be as good as you are basically told what you can and cant do by a religion?

At the end of the day, Im not worried about 'god' because I know, once you die its light out, goodbye, as it is for any other organism in this world, we are not special, after all we came from apes.
no....because i love my life. i chose my religion...if i die and god dosent exist i lose nothing as i have lived my life to the full......however if god exists and u dont believe in him then yes...technically ur screwed big time....however this said...fear of the unknown is not why one should believe in god.

btw if i do die and god dosent exist then how will i know that my religion is wrong and how will i know god didnt exist?....think abt wat ur saying b4 u say it...if god does exist ull be the first to figure it when u die....if he dosent then ill never know coz according to u i just rot in the ground and thats the end of me.

ull know if ur wrong.
i wont.

Last edited:

Pace Setter

Josie said:
Indeed, I'm enquiring as to the nature of any sort of benefit in life. I would hope there would be some benefit, otherwise what is the point?
Of course, you do now agree and/or understand that the belief in god, which is (often) the result of a prior benefit in life, cannot possibly actually lead to any other further "benefits" in life-as it (the belief in god) is essentially a result, not a cause/catalyst for anything?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Of course... I also think the whole belief appears pretty pointless from my end... but hey, that's a personal opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)