• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The following people care way too much about an argument which will never be resolved:
Not-That-Bright 414
joujou_84 406
MoonlightSonata 226
dark_angel 216
acmilan 202
katie_tully 159
soha 157
Sophie777 131

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Korn said:
Well its up to the believer, and if there is and there is an afterlife dont you want to please God, and Catholism says you only have to believe in jesus and u get into heaven, so dont really matter how u live your life. On the other hand just be good to one another and u might make it into the afterlife no one really knows

i guess it can be classified as the biggest dilemma of all time, whether to believe in god or not. In my opinion, we can break these two choices down, and consider the pros and cons of each. Lets consider that you do not believe in god first

if you do not believe in god

-the most obvious is that you can do what you please with your life, believing that when you die you cease to exist, there is no afterlife, there is no god and that is it. Perhaps the pro with this is that u have a lot more fun, be in seemingly more CONTROL of your life, because you choose what you do, and religion or belief in god does not cloud your decisions.

-cons. Perhaps the only con in this, is that IF THERE IS A GOD, then you will be taken to the god of justice, and he will decide whether or not you will go to hell etc. Take care in mind, that whatever good deeds that you have done, they will be servicable to you in gods court.

If you believe and worship the one god

-pros. Your mind becomes pure, you reach salvation from the endless cycle of births and deaths, you are not afraid of death, because death cannot come near you, you satisfy the true meaning of life. (to attain freedom from births and deaths, to merge with the one god). You achieve great honour in the various regions and universes. Basically you live out your life in comfort in this world and the next.

-cons. You do not know for sure that there is a god, but saying this, there me be a time where you are sure (eg if you see some sort of vision)

my grand mother fainted once, when she apparantly saw one of the gurus of the sikh religion walk past her.

i dunno if that is true, and i'm as skeptical as anyone, but she did faint.

If you die, and there is no god, then thats it, you have lived your one shot in life, but its not like u can regret it or anything, i mean your dead, you dont exist. Regret as in not being able to do things if you were say an athiest, like drinking alcohol once in a while, etc.

final thoughts

well the choice is pretty much up to you as you can see. We are all standing on a knifes edge, on one side is perhaps hell in the afterlife, on the other is salvation.

KEEP in mind, that i believe that irrespective of whether god exists or not, the knowledge and the "pure of heartedness" if there is such a thing, a human attains when he prays, and is part of the religion i know is priceless. I mean the stuff that i have seen is awe inspiring. I try to go to the respected gurudwaras (sikh temples) and we have a thing called "langar" which is where after ardas, a prayer we eat as one, with free food for all, there is not caste, there is no differences anyone can come and eat. I think it is this equality and respect that i love about the religion.

The weekly news letter of the temple, shows every single cent spent in the form of a budget, because they have nothing to hide, they donate to chariities as much as possible. I once remember a time where i went and we had free tea, i still remember the taste, it was the best tea i had ever tasted, and i could not help but feel uplifted by the generosity, the history, and the way of life of the respected Khalsa (sikhs who are "baptised" and obey a strict code of conduct).

I could go on and on about my experiences, but that would be a bit selfish, my point is that there is only one life, perhaps there may be more, who knows?!!?
What i know is i am living one now, and that is the only one that matters, i truly believe that i am much better off being part of the religion, it has kept me from harms way, it has taught me things that many spend a lifetime learning, and i have barely begun to scratch the surface.

and as a hsc response would conclude, in my opinion , the benifits of a religion/belief in god far outweigh anything else.

lol.......its really up to you.

komal

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
The following people care way too much about an argument which will never be resolved:
Not-That-Bright 414
joujou_84 406
MoonlightSonata 226
dark_angel 216
acmilan 202
katie_tully 159
soha 157
Sophie777 131
You assume that something that cannot be resolved is not worth discussing.

Reasons why that assumption is utterly wrong:
- pleasure in exchange of ideas
- learning about other people's views
- enhancing critical thinking in the form of debate
- intellectual stimulation
- opening one's mind to learn new things

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:

But by 102 pages one would think that any views exchanged from here on in would just be repeating what has already been stated earlier in the thread.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
withoutaface said:
Not-That-Bright 414
joujou_84 406
MoonlightSonata 226
dark_angel 216
acmilan 202
katie_tully 159
soha 157
Sophie777 131
whats the numbers stand 4?
how many post we posted in this thread? or sumthing...?

malkin86

HSC
zeropoint said:
I think the most obvious disproof of a theistic God is the sheer number of independent belief systems throughout the world.
Everyone sees the world in a different way. Might they not also see God in a different way? When we are young, we might see God as a big beard in the sky, because we are told that He is our Father, and at that age, our own father is a big beard in the sky.

somechick

HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
Everyone sees the world in a different way. Might they not also see God in a different way? When we are young, we might see God as a big beard in the sky, because we are told that He is our Father, and at that age, our own father is a big beard in the sky.

You know whats funny about that image?
I was reading this lately and its because the Church needed an image for God because everyone was asking what does God look like so they invented one: the image of Galileo. Beard, wise etc esp The Father.

Otherwise i know what you mean. I dont know how i will tell my kids if they go 'what is God' or "who is He" because i will be telling them MY perspective, and like you said, each person has a different notion. Which is probably why some poeple dont believe in God, they have different things happen to them.

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
Ha! that's funny... (not the second bit, but the first)

This is why we get nordic Jesuses and 23 yr old caucasian Marys with baby caucasian Jesus - because some people get uncomfortable at the thought of a Jesus of Jewish background, and of Mary's "teenage mum" status. She was 13 or 14 when she got married to Joseph (and also Jewish).

The danger in asking others to tell your kid about God is that the volunteers for compulsary religious "education" are by and by large, nutters and extremists. That has been my experience anyway - I'd rather not elaborate on details.

I think that compulsary religious education sucks. Maybe I'll convert to Buddhism when I have kids - so that they will never have to listen to how evil the Catholics/Masons/Mormons are due to compulsary religious "education". I've heard that nonscripture is worse than gaol, depending on what teacher you've got, though, I don't think that having quiet time to do work in could be worse than listening to the tripe I got "taught". I shoulda memorised verses on pharisees and quoted them endlessly to the teachers.. maybe then I coulda got kicked out.

Last edited:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
malkin86 said:
Ha! that's funny... (not the second bit, but the first)

This is why we get nordic Jesuses and 23 yr old caucasian Marys with baby caucasian Jesus - because some people get uncomfortable at the thought of a Jesus of Jewish background, and of Mary's "teenage mum" status. She was 13 or 14 when she got married to Joseph (and also Jewish).

The danger in asking others to tell your kid about God is that the volunteers for compulsary religious "education" are by and by large, nutters and extremists. That has been my experience anyway - I'd rather not elaborate on details.

I think that compulsary religious education sucks. Maybe I'll convert to Buddhism when I have kids - so that they will never have to listen to how evil the Catholics/Masons/Mormons are due to compulsary religious "education". I've heard that nonscripture is worse than gaol, depending on what teacher you've got, though, I don't think that having quiet time to do work in could be worse than listening to the tripe I got "taught". I shoulda memorised verses on pharisees and quoted them endlessly to the teachers.. maybe then I coulda got kicked out.
what the hells a gaol?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:

i've had about enough religious debate to last me to my 2nd reincarnation :rolleyes: that's why i left and nothing has changed in this thread.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
dark_angel said:
is gaol an australian term?

is it like a slang word or something?
the convicts that came to this country were kept in GAOLS! you seriously need to add some traditional australian literature to your reading list.

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
I think the existance of god is a personal thing. You can't force your belief onto another. Personally, I don't believe in god. For starters look at evolution, but anyways, that's not the point. I think that if you need god, if you need something to believe in, to make yourself feel better, then there is a god. And I respect the people that need that comfort...just don't try to force that onto me... :eek:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
transcendent said:
i've had about enough religious debate to last me to my 2nd reincarnation :rolleyes: that's why i left and nothing has changed in this thread.
im getting more confused now, so your saying a gaol is something related to a convict?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Gaol is the australian term for Jail.
oh shit....no wonder it was familiar

ah crap, another level of stupidity was breached today....

why the hell do we call it gaol anyway???

Generator

HSC
N/A
Gaol is the British term, and given that the Australian states were once British colonies...

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
So, can I have an opinion on my cunning plan to avoid compulsary religious education for my future spawn?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)