Does Law suit me (1 Viewer)

leaguebro

HSC
Hi im gonna do my hsc this year, and im asking whether law suits me cause if it does im fully motivated to score dat 99.85 atar. I want to do com/law but i do standard english. However i purposely dropped down from advanced because i am confident i am gonna come 1st (which i am right now) and i have too many taxing subjects ie mx2 physics. I really like maths and i considered doing actuarial studies. However i realised that i dont want to be looking at stats for 40 years of my life. I want to do cooperate law and be some top shit at some BIG COMPANY, hence im gonna do commerce with law SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Questions: 1) Do i HAVE to do advanced english in order to do com/law at unsw or can i stay with standard English?
2) Is LAW SUPPPPPPPPPPPPPER INTERESTING CAUSE I DONT WANT IT DO BE ANOTHER ENGLISH COURSE?
3) Will it benefit me climbing the cooperate world as opposed to doing actuarial studies / commerce?
4) Im more of a maths person ( im crazy at maths) but i am mentally and sometimes verbally quick at adapting and i constantly outwit people in street situations . E.g
jumping the gates at all stations and making a valid excuse up if i get caught by transit officers and many more.
WILL LAW SUIT ME? HONEST ANSWER PLEASE
ANd can u tell me what it is like at law. E.g what u learn and is it fun?

THANK YOU :)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
1. You don't HAVE to, however Advanced is recommended and your ATAR may be severely impacted by your Standard English Marks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi im gonna do my hsc this year, and im asking whether law suits me cause if it does im fully motivated to score dat 99.85 atar. I want to do com/law but i do standard english. However i purposely dropped down from advanced because i am confident i am gonna come 1st (which i am right now) and i have too many taxing subjects ie mx2 physics. I really like maths and i considered doing actuarial studies. However i realised that i dont want to be looking at stats for 40 years of my life. I want to do cooperate law and be some top shit at some BIG COMPANY, hence im gonna do commerce with law SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Questions: 1) Do i HAVE to do advanced english in order to do com/law at unsw or can i stay with standard English?
2) Is LAW SUPPPPPPPPPPPPPER INTERESTING CAUSE I DONT WANT IT DO BE ANOTHER ENGLISH COURSE?
3) Will it benefit me climbing the cooperate world as opposed to doing actuarial studies / commerce?
4) Im more of a maths person ( im crazy at maths) but i am mentally and sometimes verbally quick at adapting and i constantly outwit people in street situations . E.g
jumping the gates at all stations and making a valid excuse up if i get caught by transit officers and many more.

yeah you shouldn't do law because i read nothing there about actually wanting to do law at all except wanting to be some bigshot at a law firm

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
how are you crazy at maths

are you sure this isn't just your perception of yourself?

also you must be like the only person i know who has dropped down to standard english to get a higher atar

Alkanes

HSC

Nah Law not for you buddy. Go find another field and try to be top shit there.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
i wanted to be a lawyer and i did 4U maths, physics, legal, chemistry and all that but now i am in an engineering/science course. did you do legal studies in year 11/12?

also actuarial studies does not equal law. really you should do what you like wheather that be arts or science or whatever, what i've learnt: dont do it for the money (do it for the vine :p)

study1234

HSC
Yea, based off what you just said, it doesn't seem like you're that interested in law, probably drawn in by the high social status. You really should be asking yourself if you're actually interested in law, and whether you will enjoy (and be successful) in the field.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
With punctuation and spelling like that; you're not going to get 99.85 on your ATAR, you're not going to get into law as well...

don't mean to be dickhead or anything; just telling it to you like it is...

Answers:

- You're knowledge of the English language needs to be exceptional; you can keep it simple and write simple... However, grammar, punctuation and spelling need to be top notch; no exceptions... You can get away with doing normal English in HSC as far as I'm aware of...
- No, law is not super interesting; in fact, it's quite the opposite... It certainly has its moments, however, I would not say that makes it super interesting...
- I don't know, it's best to attend an open day of the university you wish to go to and ask these questions to the course coordinator...
- Studying law breeds arrogance of this manner in some people... Studying law will not help you any more than a lay person against a transit officer... Truth of the matter is, if you get up to mischief and have a disregard for the law; you will either be: ineligible to practice or struck off the roll... Lawyers and those alike have monitoring bodies that likes to keep a really close eye on your activities...

so by your last question, no, law is certainly not for you...

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe the study of law isn't interesting, much like study in the HSC is quite boring and it is only done excessively to expand your options after school, but the practice of law seems thrilling. Learn how to speak Arabic and open up your own firm in Fairfield. You'll rack in those big bucks, like the one's that you dream of.

Last edited:

pHyRe

HSC
E.g
i actually hear most law firms these days recruit exclusively at town hall station dressed up as cops, you're a shoe in!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
yeah you shouldn't do law because i read nothing there about actually wanting to do law at all except wanting to be some bigshot at a law firm
Everyone knows that Finance/IB is what you do if you have superficial bigshot dreams.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi im gonna do my hsc this year, and im asking whether law suits me cause if it does im fully motivated to score dat 99.85 atar.
You should be aiming for the best possible ATAR regardless. Having the aptitude for Law shouldn't be an imperative motivational factor for doing well in the HSC.
I want to do com/law but i do standard english. However i purposely dropped down from advanced because i am confident i am gonna come 1st (which i am right now) and i have too many taxing subjects ie mx2 physics. I really like maths and i considered doing actuarial studies.
I was in a similar situation as you. I was coming 14th/22 in year 11 Advanced English, and I hated all the selected texts for the course (found them utterly dull). At one point, I also considered dropping down to Standard English; as Standard was not only a lot easier, but I could also dominate the course with ease. Anyway, I decided to stay and I do not regret that decision at all. By the end of year 12; I grew so much as an individual that my ameliorated literacy skills also helped me greatly in other subjects. Overall, I ended up coming 5th (internally and externally) and attained a respectable score. If you're considering Law; I would recommend that you revisit Advanced English, and that you work hard to elevate your ranking. If it's too late - continue with Standard and try getting the best possible grade. It is recommended that you do Advanced for Law, but I guess any individual with an appropriate level of English can do well - i.e. if you put in a decent amount of effort.

However i realised that i dont want to be looking at stats for 40 years of my life.
Good. I tend to disagree with people who believe that you'll only do well in a course that you're passionate about. An individual can do well in anything as long as they put in the effort required. One might be successful, yet they may feel empty. Passion is what fulfils you as an individual, and if you're doing something that you're genuinely passionate about; you wouldn't call it "work". If you can't see yourself doing Stats for the next 30-40 years of your life, then definitely don't do it. In saying that, it turns out that I'm a hypocrite! My passion lies in the medical field and I've always dreamt about becoming a doctor since childhood :') But it's really tough, and unfortunately you always don't get what you want. So Law/Commerce is technically a backup degree as I'll be reapplying undergrad med/dent this year for a final time. At the end of the day, it's really up to you. It's about your attitude, mindset and self belief.
I think wannaspoon posted this somewhere in another thread, I shall just re-emphasise it for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWv9fZokqaU
I want to do cooperate law and be some top shit at some BIG COMPANY, hence im gonna do commerce with law SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Doing a Commerce/Law degree doesn't guarantee employment at one of the big corporations. They will also look at your grades, personality, extra curricula activities etc... At the very minimum, you'll need a high Credit average to be competitive. But realistically, you should be aiming for a Distinction average or more, and getting that in Law isn't a walk in the park.

1. I would highly recommend Advanced English, but Standard should be OK if you're a high achiever!
2. One of the most boring things that you could do at university apparently! But it depends on the individual I would say.
3. Somewhat. As I mentioned before, grades and other things are also important.
4. Bad c***t
All I'll say is that you're pretty young, and you should give it a go If you're keen. Worse comes to worse, you'll change into something that you're best suited to. Perhaps Engineering/Commerce will best suit your aptitude. All the best :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)