• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does school affect your UAI? (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
how about a decently smart person in a decent school vs a crap school?
I'm guessing your trying to make a point with that question?

but what I said remains. if you are smart and determined enough, you'll get your uai. your school, however good or crap it may be, is merely a means to get you there.

Deathless

HSC
No, it works in the opposite way. As Michelle has performed more consistently throughout the year, she gets the 1st internal rank. The 1st rank is awarded the HIGHEST EXTERNAL MARK. So, if Bob comes first in the external, Michelle gets Bob's EXTERNAL mark as her assessment mark. Bob, if he was ranked in the middle of his cohort, gets the middle external mark. In this situation, both would turn out with the same HSC mark (assuming the distribution of ranks is accurate).

With numbers:
In a Modern History class of 10 -
Michelle is ranked 1st
Bob is ranked 5th
- Their actual marks do not matter, only the rank and the space between the ranks

In the external:
Michelle - 72% 5th
Bob - 92% 1st

Thus, Michelle assessment mark is 92% and her external is 72%. You always get your external mark, as this doesn't need moderation.
Michelle's HSC mark = the average of her two marks = 82%

Bob however, gets the 5th rank's external mark, that being Michelle's external 72%. His external however, is still his suprising 92%. Thus, Bob gets the same overall HSC mark as Michelle.

On the day results are recieved, Michelle cries her eyes out and Bob thanks the powers of last minute cramming.
What you said was right but the example provided isn't accurate. If Michelle in the external got 72% whilst Bob got 92%, since there is quite a dramatic gap - the Board will review the situation. Michelle having such a large inconsistent performance will have her marks moderated where the Board examines any thing that has occurred to her such as a family death etc etc...

bob fossil

HSC
Its been said that you get slightly scaled up for being at a large school. I have about 500 in my year, is this a massive plus for me or will it have no effect?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Its been said that you get slightly scaled up for being at a large school. I have about 500 in my year, is this a massive plus for me or will it have no effect?
woah. That's a lot of people in your grade. My grade is the largest in the school and it has ~180 people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)