Does the uni you get your Commerce degree from affect your employment prospects? (1 Viewer)

gapathetic

HSC
Sydney is lol.

See Good Uni Guide.
I had a look at the Good Uni Guide comparing usyd commerce with macq commerce. Usyd has better employment prospects than macq and even better salaries. What were you referring to?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
UNSW compared to USyd

Macquarie, from what I can tell, is a uni for those whom didn't want to go to UWS but couldn't get into UNSW or USyd

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
My opinion is to attend the ICA Careers Evening on the 17th of March and take the opportunity to ask employers what they think. You will get your answer then.

I personally could have attended USyd or UNSW but chose Macquarie mainly because it is much easier to get to, and because I have lots of friends going there. From my personal experience it has not affected my employment prospects in the slightest and the above generalisation doesn't exist in the workforce, again from my experience. I have the option of transfering to USyd or UNSW but I like the atmosphere at Macquarie and the amount of time saved traveling / week can be used for extra curriculars, study, etc..

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I would rather go to MQ than USyd for a Commerce degree.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
UNSW compared to USyd

Macquarie, from what I can tell, is a uni for those whom didn't want to go to UWS but couldn't get into UNSW or USyd
haha

I could have gone to any university in Australia to do econ/commerce

I choose MACQ

AND LOOK AT ME

It doesn't really matter if you have a D average, extensive work experience, a long list of EC's (study abroad program, GLP etc), are impeccably well groomed and mannered in interviews.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Speaking of the GLP, I'm seriously considering it but at the moment I'm not able to go abroad (which may defeat the purpose of it?) Have you done it, and if so would you recommend it Ziva?

Ziva

Banned
HSC
if you can't go abroad, you should probably consult with someone to ensure you would be able to get the 200 points or whatever it is

it is definitely something good to do, so yeah - talk to someone

fishfingerz

HSC
^^ Absolutely incorrect (edit: not you but what people usually post on BOS - usually 2010ers or people without real experience) - which university you go to is largly irrelevant in the field of commerce. The firm I was at had a majority of MQ graduates.

From first hand experience, many employers actually hold UTS, MQ and USYD in the same regards.

What you can do to seperate yourself from other graduates is to focus on maintaining a high GPA, and getting involved in extra-curriculars and gaining some work experience like I mentioned before. Commerce is a highly practical field, and this is therefore what employers look for rather than which institute you spent the last three years at.
Haven't read the whole thread yet but would you be able to put in like playing soccer for a club on the weekends, etc?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
It doesn't so much matter what the specific extra-curricular activity is, but more the skills and experience you have derived from it. I would include soccer on my resume because it demonstrates that you have have team work skills and also you have a life outside study, which is what most employers are looking for.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
if you can't go abroad, you should probably consult with someone to ensure you would be able to get the 200 points or whatever it is

it is definitely something good to do, so yeah - talk to someone
There's a few things I can do to accure points, but I think it might be a bit useless without travel. I'll still ask someone to double check though.

Thanks.

ascentyx

HSC
I had a look at the Good Uni Guide comparing usyd commerce with macq commerce. Usyd has better employment prospects than macq and even better salaries. What were you referring to?
Lol at everyone quoting the good uni guide like it's the bible. Also you might find this interesting:

' According to the Good Universities Guide to Australian universities, starting salaries for Macquarie graduates have been ranked as the highest in Australia for ten consecutive years (1998–2007) and in 2009, the university received 5 star ratings in six different performance categories including non-government earnings, staff qualifications and toughness of admissions.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarie_University

feels good man.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
What kind of a job will B Econs/B Arts double at UNSW get me?

I should have checked before I went to university.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Lol at everyone quoting the good uni guide like it's the bible. Also you might find this interesting:

' According to the Good Universities Guide to Australian universities, starting salaries for Macquarie graduates have been ranked as the highest in Australia for ten consecutive years (1998–2007) and in 2009, the university received 5 star ratings in six different performance categories including non-government earnings, staff qualifications and toughness of admissions.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarie_University

feels good man.
No, that's Shadowdude

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
UNSW compared to USyd

Ouch. From what I can say, extra curricular activities and previous work experience is far more important than which University you attend. It's simply another logo or brand. So don't think that just because you go to a prestigious university like UNSW or USYD, you'll receive a guaranteed position at a particular firm for your Commerce degree. And obviously, employers take into account your university grades as well. Generally speaking, they would rather accept someone who's scoring a HD average at UWS rather than a person who's barely passing or failing at UNSW. My 2c from a newbie like me. :)

Edit: 2000 posts! Yes!

Ziva

Banned
HSC
who cares about average starting salaries you idiots

if you plan on being an average student just quit why you're ahead and become a tradesman.

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
Yes it does. I'm a director on the biggest student society in Australia (and it's commerce based) as such we organise events to get students networking, and I've asked pretty much every firm rep what their opinions are and the opinions of those they work with about Uni's etc (and these are reps flown in from all over australia). Remember it is in no way the deciding factor, but they do take it into consideration. General consensus was no to MQ, because they have a different grading system, more like the american system and the top 4, invest. banks and consulting firms aren't too keen on it or the way they grade / teach. Usyd is seen as having more prestige than UNSW, however they prefer Queensland student to NSW students (even in the NSW offices) because NSW students are seen as too cocky and big-headed whereas QLD or more UQ students have a more relaxed personality and are more likely to listen and balance the striving to be number one and working hard as an individual and team. Just their opinions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)