Does the uni you get your Commerce degree from affect your employment prospects? (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
You do realise most of the big firms setup stalls to recruit students from most universities, Macquarie included, right?

genius123456

Banned
HSC
N/A
Great. I don't have good marks OR extra curriculars. OR work experience. OR an ability to talk well at an interview.
haha ur a dickhead.

why do you "hd average" below your username then

you are lucky they dont just ignore your job applications altogether , I know I would.

Last edited by a moderator:

nhythy

HSC
UNSW and USYD grads will get best grad jobs.
MQ and UTS do alright.
The rest have to work harder I guess. (this has come from everything I've read on here.)

But if you have good extracurriculars and epic marks, you can get a great job from a lower uni.

the problem lies in the sheer number of graduates flooding the markets each year

also depends on major.
How about ANU? It has the highest ranking :-?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW and USYD grads will get best grad jobs.
MQ and UTS do alright.
The rest have to work harder I guess. (this has come from everything I've read on here.)

But if you have good extracurriculars and epic marks, you can get a great job from a lower uni.

the problem lies in the sheer number of graduates flooding the markets each year

also depends on major.
bit late, but UTS gets excellent jobs, I know about 10 people who've started off on 80k+ from UTS, straight out of uni, but they all had part time work experience too.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
bit late, but UTS gets excellent jobs, I know about 10 people who've started off on 80k+ from UTS, straight out of uni, but they all had part time work experience too.
Lol this thread's still kicking around.

Seriously don't take what I said too literally, I've learnt so much since I posted that. Amazing what one semester at uni can bring.

I think the best way to look at employment would be to realise that you will be hired to either make the company money, or save the company money. So make sure you show the employer you can do one of those well.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol this thread's still kicking around.

Seriously don't take what I said too literally, I've learnt so much since I posted that. Amazing what one semester at uni can bring.

I think the best way to look at employment would be to realise that you will be hired to either make the company money, or save the company money. So make sure you show the employer you can do one of those well.
haha, that plus work experience and your ability to manage/problem solve

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I actually wouldn't mind seeing some statistics. There was a site somewhere that gives statistics that are two years behind that I can't seem to remember. According to a careers advisor at uni its inaccurate since not everybody opts to complete the survey when they graduate, but I guess it would still be interesting.

Does anyone know what site I'm talking about?
I think your career adviser is talking about the Hobsons guides, e.g. http://www.hobsons.com/asiapacific/publishing/websites/gug/ And your career adviser is absolutely right, the statistics are based on surveys done by those who have graduated - however the surveys are voluntary and often sent after graduates have started jobs/relocated etc etc so the statistics are not an accurate picture of reality.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But is it perhaps the best picture of reality?

Garygaz

HSC
i had a mate first year uws hd/credits, average of about 70. 2nd year macquarie transfer fails 2 subjects, albeit he was working more, though unis do make a difference and as such are viewed differently by employers.

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
grades + extra curricular activities + work experience are essential

unis not so much.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
grades + extra curricular activities + work experience are essential

unis not so much.
he speaks the truth

They're all pretty much the same at the end of the day, employers dont really look at the uni that much, they only look at the education and talent you possess.

enoilgam

HSC
he speaks the truth

They're all pretty much the same at the end of the day, employers dont really look at the uni that much, they only look at the education and talent you possess.
This, repped.

Garygaz

HSC
that's pretty redundant, considering it's an interview and a transcript they have to go by. they can't magically look into your brain and give you a score on intelligence/motivation, they have to go off by what's in front of them. in saying that, it's not like someone with relevant work experience in the industry who went to UWS with a credit average is going to be overlooked by someone from USYD or UNSW with a credit average.

if they have 2 applications which are hard to distinguish apart, obviously uni will be taken into account. it's common knowledge that the degrees are harder to get at different unis.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
that's pretty redundant, considering it's an interview and a transcript they have to go by. they can't magically look into your brain and give you a score on intelligence/motivation, they have to go off by what's in front of them. in saying that, it's not like someone with relevant work experience in the industry who went to UWS with a credit average is going to be overlooked by someone from USYD or UNSW with a credit average.

if they have 2 applications which are hard to distinguish apart, obviously uni will be taken into account. it's common knowledge that the degrees are harder to get at different unis.
If that was the only differentiating factor I'm inclined to think they'd probably progress both candidates to the online testing stage or telephone interview assuming they are both on comparable marks despite the university.

** I'll caveat that it depends on what industry/job though **

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)