Doing past papers- Handwriting vs Typing (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
So do you guys think there is a difference between handwriting or typing when you do a past paper?
I tend to go through past papers very quickly if I type, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Any personal preferences?

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
I prefer handwriting, cuz during the hsc you can't type anyway. Unless you have special provisions and you've requested a typist or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I prefer handwriting, cuz during the hsc you can't type anyway. Unless you have special provisions and you've requested a typist or something.

I don't have a requested typist.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Hand write it. It's good practice since you have to hand write in an actual exam.

FireRunning

HSC
I definitely recommend handwriting when you are doing practice papers. I think typing is more useful when you are creating study notes.

Maybe typing essays when doing english past papers might be helpful since it doesn't tire your writing hand as much. I think this can be a great help in the memorisation process of HSC English. However, the disadvantages of this include inaccurate exam timing practice since you can type much faster than you can handwrite.

Hope this helps. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Handwrite it.

Also you could ObliviousNinja's strategy. Triple-battery pen.

I have never seen anyone go past double.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
hand write
need to get it legible lol

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Handwrite it.

Also you could ObliviousNinja's strategy. Triple-battery pen.

I have never seen anyone go past double.
For a period of time I started with 4 batteries. Not even joking.

iBibah

HSC
Do the battery pens actually work lol?
Actually I found that adding a certain weight made me write a lot neater, and somewhat faster.

And to OP, try keep writing, or you'll end up like me and not finish your essays etc.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
btw how many pages do you guys normally write in an english exam in 45 minutes? I write quite slow and normally finish exactly on time. T_T

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
btw how many pages do you guys normally write in an english exam in 45 minutes? I write quite slow and normally finish exactly on time. T_T
During the HSC, I didn't prepare like everyone else and on a good day (my writing was pretty small - 15-20 words a line) I would write roughly 5 pages.

Usually it would equate to about 1000 words. I could never write more. I never prepared enough anyway.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To OP:
You should always write out your responses rather than type because you need to replicate exam conditions as closely as possible, you will not get marks if your handwriting is illegible, and a valuable portal by which you can ensure your handwriting is legible is through regularly practising writing with pen and paper whenever possible. Furthermore, as typing is faster than writing for most people, it will not give you an accurate indication(if you choose to type) of your exam time management skills in exam, e.g. you may be able to finish within the exam time limit with typing, but may not do so with writing, and not getting this kind of information before the exam might have a significant impact on your actual exam results and performance.

It is hard to determine, because everyone has different sized handwriting and choose to space things differently, you should finish exactly on time-since that shows you are using the exam time in an efficient way, for me I usually wrote around 5 pages for my essays (but then, my handwriting was barely legible during exams). Remember, it is quality over quantity:)

enoilgam

HSC
I dont think typing them out is a big issue, especially if it helps you get through them faster. If your goal is purely to develop your understanding or the content and ability to apply it to exam questions, then it makes no difference. However, at some point you should practice under exam conditions (probably as you get closer totrials/HSC) in order to familiarise yourself with "exam conditions".

bongoli

HSC
I prefer writing it out, but by the end of i've just got hundreds of sheets of paper just filled in with scribbles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)