Doing scif courses in semester 1?? (1 Viewer)

jaechen

HSC
IN ADVANCED SCIENCE/MATHS is it bad to do SCIF course in semester 1? do most people do it in semester 2?

htp368

HSC
Nah most people take it in semester 1. You can say it is almost a bludge except you have to write a group report

plasticities

HSC
Majority of people definitely do it semester 1. I would recommend to do it in semester 1 because you'll be able to meet more people in your degree and I think it's best to get it out of the way early, plus I think the content is different to SCIF1131 and 1121 was pretty easy.

jaechen

HSC
Majority of people definitely do it semester 1. I would recommend to do it in semester 1 because you'll be able to meet more people in your degree and I think it's best to get it out of the way early, plus I think the content is different to SCIF1131 and 1121 was pretty easy.
hahaa alright thanks. yeh i chose SCIF1121 in semester 1. whats the difference between that and 1131??

htp368

HSC
The content is quite different. People regretted doing 1131 rather than 1121. 1121 is easier they say.

plasticities

HSC
SCIF1121 have streams where you can learn more about things that are more related to your major/degree, whereas I think 1131 just has the same lectures for everyone, which seem more based on the history and cultural significance of science. The tutorials seem the same, more or less for both, which is where you do most of the interactive, fun stuff.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You have to take it in Semester 1 anyway, don't you? Pretty sure they don't offer it in Semester 2.

plasticities

HSC
You have to take it in Semester 1 anyway, don't you? Pretty sure they don't offer it in Semester 2.
They give you the choice between 1121 and 1131 since they're run in different semesters incase some students can't do it first semester.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They give you the choice between 1121 and 1131 since they're run in different semesters incase some students can't do it first semester.
there's more than one scif course now!? what is this

When I did SCIF... there was only one SCIF course :p

plasticities

HSC
there's more than one scif course now!? what is this

When I did SCIF... there was only one SCIF course :p
hahaha I think it may have been introduced in my year. But yeah I only know of a couple of people that did it second semester.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Why do I have a bad feeling the... underage drinking and knee dislocation incident at SCIF camp in my year is the reason for this change...

hmm

plasticities

HSC
Why do I have a bad feeling the... underage drinking and knee dislocation incident at SCIF camp in my year is the reason for this change...

hmm
omg, your year was the reason they cancelled the camp. Yeah they said it just got too out of hand or something idk

htp368

HSC
What? Drinking now! ughhh really wanted one. I want participation marks lol.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
omg, your year was the reason they cancelled the camp. Yeah they said it just got too out of hand or something idk
"too out of hand", biggest understatement ever!

Yeah... well, you know. The camp was a bad idea anyway. You could do what they wanted to do at the camp over a series of weeks at uni.

Also I never got cheese tasting, and the trivia night was just... ugh. Since when was Adam West, Superman?

So you're not missing much. The camp wasn't that good. If you want a camp where you can really go wild - you have to go to one which isn't headed or supervised by UNSW staff.

I heard things about Law camp which umm... yeah. students ran that one. hmm.

jenslekman

HSC
come on guise, keep on topic.

also congratulations jaechen, welcome to unsw!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's a SCIF thread, we're talking about SCIF - what's the problem?

plasticities

HSC
Oh damn, I was gonna do SCIF1131 in semester 2 but I'm not sure now :/
If your timetable works better, doing SCIF in semester 2, then do that and save yourself the hassle. But, like 95% of people will be taking it in semester 1 and meeting people is pretty much the only point of the class.

"too out of hand", biggest understatement ever!

Yeah... well, you know. The camp was a bad idea anyway. You could do what they wanted to do at the camp over a series of weeks at uni.

Also I never got cheese tasting, and the trivia night was just... ugh. Since when was Adam West, Superman?

So you're not missing much. The camp wasn't that good. If you want a camp where you can really go wild - you have to go to one which isn't headed or supervised by UNSW staff.

I heard things about Law camp which umm... yeah. students ran that one. hmm.
The tutorial activities weren't that interesting but they were so easy it didn't even feel like work. Thank god, I don't think we ever had a trivia night, but wasn't Adam West that joke of a tv show Batman or something? Yeah I've heard law camp is notorious for being wild. I'm not too worried since I get to go to Yellow Shirt camp :D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The tutorial activities weren't that interesting but they were so easy it didn't even feel like work. Thank god, I don't think we ever had a trivia night, but wasn't Adam West that joke of a tv show Batman or something? Yeah I've heard law camp is notorious for being wild. I'm not too worried since I get to go to Yellow Shirt camp :D
True, one SCIF tutorial was spent doing jigsaw puzzles. It was alright.

And yeah Adam West was Batman... so that was a semi-outrage when the people were like 'no it's superman'.

And Yellow Shirt camp, eh? I know a guy who encouraged me to apply. I have personal reservations to not apply but he made it sound so... like, good. PM me about Yellow Shirt camp maybe? I'm lulling it over.

gots to get more stuff on my non-academic transcript :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)