Dr Du??? (1 Viewer)

saltshaker

HSC
Original Poster said:
Hey, does anyone know how much Dr Du costs for Year 9 math for face-to-face and online? I tried checking online but i can’t find it :/ Also has anyone had any experience with it? Is it good or bad?
Fees are on the website in the FAQ. I've attached the timetable.

I am currently in Dr Du Ext 1 Year 11 (A1). I only joined this year and tested in and previously used a different coaching school - I am considering quitting Dr Du, not because it is bad but because the order of Dr Du topics is strange and does not correspond well to my school at all.

Many accounts say Dr Du is very fast paced and this is true - a topic that would take up 4 exercises and took a week of teaching in my school was done in 1 lesson in Dr Du - and they added year 12 content as well! To me these groupings make sense but could give some difficulty to other students.

Because of Covid 19 I use video lessons and the son of Dr Du, William Du, does mine - I feel he does not cater well to lower performing students as he tends to talk assuming he is talking to fairly bright students, which is not the case in a video lesson. He often skips subquestions that would normally scaffold a question; I personally can keep up with only minimal difficulty but I can see it can be confusing to people who joined tutoring for the help rather than getting ahead. His explanations of concepts are decent and he is a bright personality so I don't zone off in his lectures.

I don't know if you will get him for a video lesson though - the school hires tutors who are ex-students of the coaching school who also record videos, and usually they get the best tutors for these videos so quality is not a concern in Covid times - although if you get into a ''''lower skill'''' class you might be allocated a worse tutor for face-to-face classes.

It's important to note that although Dr Du has transitioned to the new syllabus, they still use old syllabus methods for some things and include old syllabus content - I know somewhere in year 9-10 you study locus of a parabola which is no longer in the syllabus. This can conflict with what is taught in your school but usually this only affects deriving formulas and theorems, and is a means to an end. If you want a positive take you can think of it as another way of teaching - another way to understand the concept.

The homework has a few questions from the lecture so you can copy the working in. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to your preference. I feel the questions (excluding the repeated ones) do reflect what I've learnt in the lecture and don't extend me too much. However, my school uses the Cambridge textbook and I've found Dr. Du questions matching the exact same HW questions in my textbook, which is annoying as I go to it for resources. If you get into the top class A1 you get 3 pages more homework than everyone else (normal being 9 pages).

Hope this helps

Attachments

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Dr Du is expensive af man. Which area's are you looking at for tutor?

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
I currently attend ngo and sons but i was just looking around to see if there were any better tutors coz i really want to do well and get ahead in maths
At Ngo and sons if you get into the accelerated program and you would be starting 4u at the beginning of year 10 if I remember correctly.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
maybe around liverpool, fairfield area not too far away
You're looking in the asian area so maths would be considered a specialty. Plenty of great tutors, just gotta find which one you like and what style you prefer.

saltshaker

HSC
At Ngo and sons if you get into the accelerated program and you would be starting 4u at the beginning of year 10 if I remember correctly.
that is crazy and insane and I am glad my parents didn't know Ngo and Sons existed

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally these are the three main maths tutors from the area. Focus at Cabra, Troungs at Fairfield, Dr Du in Burwood (Bit of a stretch).

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
i think ngo and sons cureently perfectly suits my needs, btw have u attended peak before? i tried for two weeks and left coz peak math and english sucked, the rooms were so small that we didn’t even have enough tables for all the students and the room was very stuffy and hot. horrible working environment
Nope never went peak. I know quite a few people who go only for sciences but yeah I'm pretty sure they arent good for english/maths.

saltshaker

HSC
Original Poster said:
i think ngo and sons cureently perfectly suits my needs, btw have u attended peak before? i tried for two weeks and left coz peak math and english sucked, the rooms were so small that we didn’t even have enough tables for all the students and the room was very stuffy and hot. horrible working environment
I just signed up for peak physics... different branch & their specialty so hopefully its different

I would recommend my older one but they expect u to start at year 6 so unfortunately not. If you feel Ngo and Sons fits your needs it should be ok to stick with them unless u find a coaching school with some amazing quality that outshines it

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
lmaooo i doubt i can do 4u math in the future (but u nvr know) i want to do it if i can but if i can’t i want to at least do 3u defs not 2u😂😅
I don't mean to interrupt your discussion but I thought I'd point out that unless you wish to take Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 for personal satisfaction, you don't necessarily need to pick them to achieve a high ATAR. While performing well in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 will make significant contributions towards your ATAR, taking and performing well in Mathematics Advanced alone can also do the job just fine. :)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't mean to interrupt your discussion but I thought I'd point out that unless you wish to take Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 for personal satisfaction, you don't necessarily need to pick them to achieve a high ATAR. While performing well in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 will make significant contributions towards your ATAR, taking and performing well in Mathematics Advanced alone can also do the job just fine. :)
Nah scaling for ext 2 maths is just way too juicy

skzzks

HSC
Original Poster said:
Hey, does anyone know how much Dr Du costs for Year 9 math for face-to-face and online? I tried checking online but i can’t find it :/ Also has anyone had any experience with it? Is it good or bad?
i go to dr du and i’m in year 9 and so far it’s really helping me do my best as long as you have a good work drive i think it’s beneficial.

HSC
what the actual heck, that seems a little bit excessive lmao

rajeshtheting

HSC
Nah scaling for ext 2 maths is just way too juicy
haha tru but at the same time u cant get a 60 and expect to get scaled to an e4 but i get what ur saying u still have to do quite well but like compared to standard for e.g u could get 10-15 lower and get the same mark or even higher doing 4u

skzzks

HSC
Original Poster said:
is it partial selective?? coz i go to a partial too loll
nope it’s fully selective just bad

skzzks

HSC
Original Poster said:
Is A3 The highest?
but honestly even tho it’s the second lowest class still helped me jump from being an average student at school to first

skzzks

HSC
Original Poster said:
as long as it helped u to be rank one that’s still good tho😌
yes that’s true and so far even tho the tutors i’ve had are all ex students they’re all really helpful

vvvh

HSC
Original Poster said:
if you're interested in looking for a science tutoring centre theres zhangs which is located in strathfield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)