drop or not... (1 Viewer)

CriminalCrab

HSC
Ok, another BOSer deciding subjects. Here's my senario:
I do 12 units - english adv,maths 4u, chemistry, legal and IPT
Thinking whether to drop IPT, 4u maths, or keep both.
I know the scaling is by far...but i don't care.
I'm sorta finding 12 units too much - just enough to finish homework.

why drop IPT - teacher - every lesson she just tells us to read the textbook or make summaries. She does some explaining, but its basically whats written in the textbook. She also cannot help with our projects e.g. for one assignment, we had to make a short quiz on the school using adobe flash or something, but she is inexperienced with the programs like the everyone in the class (is that normal for IPT?).
However, I do find most of the content interesting and easily coming second (around 70% - yea not high but some get 40%)) so i don't really want to drop. but prob gonna do bad in HSC.
why drop 4u - teacher - not the best - afternoon classes taking up a lot of time and 4u seems like a lot of work. But i enjoy maths and decent at it. but i find IPT SLIGHTLY more interesting.

free study lessons seem very tempting.
so help? opinions?

bleakarcher

HSC
Atar-wise, it would be best to drop IPT and keep 4U maths.

addoil

HSC
I reckon drop 4u and keep IPT since you do seem to show more interest in the latter. IPT doesn't scale as well but since you are confidently coming second (and if you put more effort into your studies for the HSC), the scaling will not hit you as hard as it may to others.
In regards to homework and classwork, majority of IPT is reading the textbook yourself and summarising (tbh), since there really isn't much the teacher can explain to you (maybe the odd error checking methods and topologies etc...) and as long as you understand the concepts (which is mostly common knowledge, especially social and ethical issues) then you're already 3/4 of the way there (the other 1/4 is memorising). There is also comparatively less homework to 4u (and most other subjects really), except before exams where you start making notes which you do with all other subjects anyway...

With 4u, personally I think the concepts are harder to grasp and requires many many hours of practice and perfecting. A lot of time is spent completing the homework exercises (even majority of weekends) and consequently more tedious than IPT.
In your case, since (as you say) both teachers are just as bad, I think the main factor to be taken into consideration is the study time required and spent/wasted. Good luck!

Coookies

HSC
4u is a whole lot more work so drop that unless you're really dedicated and will work hard at it.

CriminalCrab

HSC
If its time, dropping IPT is 2 units while 4u is 1 unit. and maybe i will work harder with 2 less units for 4u. or is it the same, cause 4u is like 2 units worth of work?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Keep 4u. You seem to be quite indifferent between IPT and 4u... so I'd keep the latter because it will help your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)