Dropping Ext 1 Maths? (1 Viewer)

Tangoto

poop
HSC
I'm currently doing Ext 1 Maths. Biology, Anc History, Mod History, Adv English, Adv Maths, SDD, so 13 units in total.

Thing is, I tend to do terribly in Ext 1, mainly because I'm a lazy bastard and so I'm on the fence on whether to drop it or not. On one side, I want to do better and actually study and attempt to do better, but on the other hand I just want to drop it just to ease off the workload.

But I've got a sort of obscure goal to wanting to do an accounting course at uni, and I fear if I drop EXT1 I won't be able to do the course. I'm also aiming for around a 85+ ATAR.

So drop or not? :(

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
The workload isn't going to get any easier for your other subjects as the year goes on. imo just keep going

Tangoto

poop
HSC
The workload isn't going to get any easier for your other subjects as the year goes on. imo just keep going
Well, that's not really the main problem. Only reason I'm doing Ext 1 right now is because I fear I won't be able to do an accounting course at uni if I drop it. I guess essentially the question is, does accounting at uni really require Ext 1? What do most students who do Maths EXT1 actually want to be?

Also thanks for the fast reply.

mioumiou

HSC
I'm currently doing Ext 1 Maths. Biology, Anc History, Mod History, Adv English, Adv Maths, SDD, so 13 units in total.

Thing is, I tend to do terribly in Ext 1, mainly because I'm a lazy bastard and so I'm on the fence on whether to drop it or not. On one side, I want to do better and actually study and attempt to do better, but on the other hand I just want to drop it just to ease off the workload.

But I've got a sort of obscure goal to wanting to do an accounting course at uni, and I fear if I drop EXT1 I won't be able to do the course. I'm also aiming for around a 85+ ATAR.

You should spend more time on Maths then. I'm sure that anyone can ace through any of their subjects, depends on how many works they put in and understanding them. Some people maybe really good at maths and 1 hour of extra work maybe enough. however, some other people may need 2 or more hours of extra work to get the same result. So I'm sure that if you try a little bit harder, things will change slightly better. :)

kcqn93

HSC

then stop being lazy :p

twistedrebel

HSC
Well, that's not really the main problem. Only reason I'm doing Ext 1 right now is because I fear I won't be able to do an accounting course at uni if I drop it. I guess essentially the question is, does accounting at uni really require Ext 1? What do most students who do Maths EXT1 actually want to be?

You can do general maths and do accounting, if you cant see yourself putting the effort in drop it but work harder on the other subjects.

bouncing

HSC
keep it! :)
you learnt 3u prelim (one year of your life man!!!) you might as well keep going!

not too sure about the accounting thing, ask around in the teritary study forums

kyokaku92

HSC
Me dropping 3U maths was the best decision I made, I am also a lazy bastard and cbf doing countless exercises when I could be doing something else instead... honestly, I regretably did it for scaling

If you reckon you can pull decent marks in 3U then keep it, otherwise don't bother getting crap marks if you can do better in 2U

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yeah man, if you have other commitments (or just don't to put in the work) then don't bother with 3U. Don't do it especially if you have no inclination towards maths or even the need for it at uni. It'll mess up your study when you get 90's in everything else instead of wasting so much time on just keeping your 3U at 80. Keep the 12 and kick ass at them. Good luck!

luvtads

HSC
Drop it !!! You are doing 13 units and thats wayy too much. If you drop ext maths, you will have more time for your other subjects and you will do much better in them.
And only 10 units are going to count for your HSC and if your not doing too well in ext maths, its really just a waste of time.

meggo-meggo

HSC

I found that dropping extension maths was a really good decision (went from 14 to 13 units). It might not seem like as much work as other subjects, but I found it made so much of a difference.... especially now that half-yearlies are coming up fast.
The only reason I was doing ext 1 was because I really do like maths, and it helped with just developing mathsy type thinking that was helpful in mathematics + physics. But in the end, I just needed to concentrate on my other subjects. Its no use keeping ext maths if you don't get the marks to get into your accounting course. drop it, spend more time on other subjects, and there are always bridging courses etc that you can do.

tell me when you've decided what you're going to do!

gesh17

HSC
N/A
I dropped Ext 1 Maths from prelim to HSC because frankly, I reckon its a complete waste of time unless you can assuredly achieve a band 6, because something like more than a 1/4 of candidates do achieve 90% and over. And it was, for me personally, a really big weight of my shoulders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)