Dropping extension english or 4 maths? (1 Viewer)

jassono

HSC
Hey all, in the middle of studying for my assessments :S! i was just wondering, because i have 11 units and i could use a little more time, is it wiser to drop 4u maths or 3u english?? ignoring what i am happier in because im happy in both and will probably just do 11 units in the end, but statistically or your opinion/personal experience, which is better for your hsc?

Danke!

wendus

krawr.
HSC
4u maths scales better so i guess if you're not struggling in that subject and enjoy it, then keep it. but personally, i prefer english :p

EvoRevolution

HSC
will 4unit if u put in the time and effort will pay of, but again it probably takes alote of time, while english 3u doesnt scale as well as 4 but i dont konw whether ever u like

LordPc

HSC
if you are doing very well in english, like both extensions and are doing about the same in both as well probably drop EE1 since MX scales higher, especially when you consider they count as 2 2u subjects.

but if you are struggling in advanced english then perhaps keep english extension to bump that english mark up a bit.

either way 11 units is not at all a tough load so unless you are really struggling, I wouldnt drop anything. (perhaps just dont do any EE1 study, just do assignments and see how you go. if you rank well enough you might be able to cram at the end and do ok.)

tku336

HSC
why does everyone always go for 4unit maths?!

pick the one that your better in. scaling only ever matters if your NOT good at a subject, because then it pushes you up to a decent mark. but if your good at the subject, then you wouldnt need to be pushed up anyway.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Both are demanding courses, but 4U maths will probably be more beneficial scaling wise. It really depends what type of a person you are - a maths or an english person.
I agree, eventually it all come back to which subject you would do better.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Stick with 4 Unit maths. It does amazing things for your UAI, but I'm not the best source of info since I didn't do Ext English.

But yeah, if you're not finding it too difficult, stick with 4U and drop Ext Eng.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
why does everyone always go for 4unit maths?!

pick the one that your better in. scaling only ever matters if your NOT good at a subject, because then it pushes you up to a decent mark. but if your good at the subject, then you wouldnt need to be pushed up anyway.
No... scaling matters, full stop.

If he was equally good at both subjects, 4U Maths and Extension English, then a lets say 95 in 4U maths would be worth more than a 90 in Extension English.

By saying that scaling doesn't matter is just stupid... like a 90 in lets say...Senior Science is mediocre compared to the 90 in Extension 2 Mathematics.

LordPc

HSC
No... scaling matters, full stop.

If he was equally good at both subjects, 4U Maths and Extension English, then a lets say 95 in 4U maths would be worth more than a 90 in Extension English.

By saying that scaling doesn't matter is just stupid... like a 90 in lets say...Senior Science is mediocre compared to the 90 in Extension 2 Mathematics.
its exactly this kind of thinking that causes people to make bad choices in thier hsc

"Oh, Ill pick extension maths because 'cuz squared + son squared = 0'. Its all easy stuff like that"

if you are going to get 90+ in 4u then you would be silly to drop it, but keeping it "cause scaling is so maddddd" even if you are going to get 40/100, is a bad way to think about the situation

HSC
its exactly this kind of thinking that causes people to make bad choices in thier hsc

"Oh, Ill pick extension maths because 'cuz squared + son squared = 0'. Its all easy stuff like that"

if you are going to get 90+ in 4u then you would be silly to drop it, but keeping it "cause scaling is so maddddd" even if you are going to get 40/100, is a bad way to think about the situation
i 100% agree!

tku336

HSC
uh, the derivative, theres a big difference between getting 90 in senior science and 90 in 4 unit maths.

but say, if i was better at english extension and got 90, and was worse at 4 maths and got 80, then it still wouldnt help the maths mark.

and once you get over a certain aligned mark (usually about 95) scaling stops to matter because it all evens out.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
depends which one you think you'll end up performing better in, and also which one would give you more time.

personally though, i'd keep 4u maths.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Both are demanding courses.
Nah, extension english is not that demanding when I compare it to extension one math....it all depends on the person i guess.

Instinctively I will say do math ext II if you are struggling with neither and happy with both, scales better of course, but you need to note that a lot of uni nowadays have the bonus points system for getting high bands in related subjects. If you want to do, say, journalism, where you can get some 3 bonus points for doing ext eng and getting band E4, then consider staying in eng, all depends on what you wanna do and how confident you are.

Sigh~~ i miss the good old days spending exhaustive amount of time studying about uais and stuff....:(

-Anfernee-

HSC
You should keep both, one extra unit ain't gonna kill you. It's like a safety net and besides...

...I thought Sydney boys were supposed to be uber nerds or do they just act like geeks outside of school hours on the trains and buses? You need to start living up to that reputation or your fellow dorks are gonna laugh at you behind your back , perhaps even write a mean blog about you.

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Well if you actually read my post properly, you should've noticed that I said my post only applied if the person was equally good at both subjects.

LordPc

HSC
Well if you actually read my post properly, you should've noticed that I said my post only applied if the person was equally good at both subjects.
I stand by what I said.

and I'd like to reiterate that 11 units is not at all a heavy load. If you plan out your study it should not be incredibly hard to manage

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I stand by what I said.

and I'd like to reiterate that 11 units is not at all a heavy load. If you plan out your study it should not be incredibly hard to manage
I agree with you on the fact that 11 units is not a heavy load. I at one stage had 14 units and I have 13 units at the present moment, and I don't think it's that stressful, so 11 units should be a good amount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)