• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

dropping subjects (1 Viewer)

dots

HSC
I was thinking of dropping a subject next year any advice on that?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Without more details, we can give only general advice.

Dropping subjects for Year 12 gives its advantages and disadvantages. Advantages include more time for your other subjects, less subjects to concentrate on in the HSC exam block and if you were doing badly in one subject, then it removes the burden of that subject.

Disadvantages include you being more dependant on the rest of your subjects, and if you only have 10 units, then you have to do well in all your subjects to get a good UAI, there is no back up if you stuff up an exam.

It all depends on your circumstances whether or not you should drop a subject, so good luck in whatever you decide to do.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Agreed with SoulSearcher and speaking from a HSC perspective not everyone that drops a subject will use that free time wisely sometimes it would be in the better interests if they were still in class.

Also depends on the subject, if you want a UAI as not all students do and your overall performance.

dots

HSC
Thanks SoulSearcher for the advice. To expand a bit more I was considering of dropping one subject then taking up an extension.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Please list all of your current subjects and list the subjects that you are considering to drop and results + rankings if possible and why, but ultimately the decision is up to you and your teachers.

dots

HSC
Current subjects: english, maths, chemistry, chinese, business, music

dropping music... for results u mean all?

passion89

HSC
Are you doing well in music?
I had to make a smiliar decision except I got an average of 95% in music. After a while, I had to drop it for personal reasons but I do feel a lot better at the moment.
Think about if you can handle the work at the moment. Also think about if you really need music in tertiary education (assuming you will continue onto TAFE/Uni).

dots

HSC
Interesting... For music i got 87% but that is only from one exam... as for needing music in my tertiary study i dont really plan to do something in the music industry.

HSC
dots said:
Interesting... For music i got 87% but that is only from one exam... as for needing music in my tertiary study i dont really plan to do something in the music industry.
if you're really good at it and enjoy it, then keep it. mind telling us why you plan to drop music?

don't worry about tertiary studies unless it's absolutely necessary to drop/do a subject. if you plan to go to uni, then make sure you can get the marks to get into there first. for example, ask your teacher what band that 87% may get you in the actual HSC. =) ..but i suppose there's a musical piece you have to do next year aswell?? i have no clue =/

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Maybe because they only want to take in 10 units as part of their HSC, plus dots never said that he/she was enjoying the subject.

Unless the subject is a pre-requisite for the particular course that you want to do, you do not have to do that subject to get into the course. So if you don't feel that you can do well in music in year 12, then drop it and focus on your other subjects. If you feel that you can do well in music next year, keep it and either drop another subject or carry 12 units for the HSC year.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Well, personally, I love music, but not music as a subject, it's just a real boring subject to study/work in. I can get band 6's throughout prelim/hsc, but I don't enjoy it. Due to this I have decided that I will drop it by the end of the year. And same goes for maths ext 1, it's real hard to get motivated to work in those subjects

dots

HSC
the reason im thinking of dropping music is because i find it boring and also partially because of the teacher... i know that sounds sad but like yoakim i enjoy it more not as a subject... well anyway i have to see how well i do in the practical part...

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Im probably picking up 4 unit maths next year. and thus dropping a subject probably economics. i currently have 13 units and its probably going down to 12 next year depending if i pick up the subject or not. Problem is that my maths is not elite standard and im performing farily well in economics and would hate to drop it. Dropping to 12 units will get rid of my early extention classes which start at 7.45 am, what should i do?

lala2

Banned
HSC
I did Music 2 as an HSC subject, and though I was lucky in that we had a small class and a very relaxed atmosphere on the part of my music teacher, it was my second worst subject at 85 and didn't count in my UAI. So I can understand where yoakim and dots are coming from about enjoying music as music, rather than as a subject.

EDIT: drynxz--just try and see how you go--give it a term and you will know--the last person to drop from the 4U Maths class I dropped from dropped during mid-Term 1. No need to drop Eco if you're good at it.

Last edited:

tmde1st

HSC
im gunna drop physics at the end of the year. i find it so boring and ill just concentrate on my others. i dont care how things work.

theodore223

God's reincarnate
HSC
I believe that you should only drop a subject if you dont like it, not if ur failing because if u like a subject, ur more likely going to apply urself to getting better. Take me for eg. Im topping my engineering class, but am going to drop it at the end of yr 11. (mainly because of the teachin style, and because i think my mark wont do next yr.) But im picking up 4 unit maths, so i can still fail a subject.

yinyin

HSC
N/A
hey i have a question
what if you have 11unit?
what happens you stuff up one 2 unit course? then one u nit is in the compulsry 10unit and one unit is not?
thnx

vizman

HSC
yinyin said:
hey i have a question
what if you have 11unit?
what happens you stuff up one 2 unit course? then one u nit is in the compulsry 10unit and one unit is not?
thnx
one subject will have half the weighting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)