• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dux of school (1 Viewer)

Young'un

HSC
N/A
What about Year 11?

We have a UAI estimate for Year 11, and the actual UAI for Year 12. It isn't awarded until the next year, but the scholarship starts during the year.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Ours is based on rankings, but the chick who got it last year , happened to get the highest UAi as well.. smart chicky! Our year 11 dux was jipped though, roarted. An asian chick who came first in english as secoNd languade and maths and chem. I think, like 4 subjects, and she beat my friend who came 1st in 5 subjects (ancient history, food tech, ipt, English adv, and economics) I think she should have gotten, bit biased if you ask me, instead of dux she got some encouragement award.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Ours is based on rankings, but the chick who got it last year , happened to get the highest UAi as well.. smart chicky! Our year 11 dux was jipped though, roarted. An asian chick who came first in english as secoNd languade and maths and chem. I think, like 4 subjects, and she beat my friend who came 1st in 5 subjects (ancient history, food tech, ipt, English adv, and economics) I think she should have gotten, bit biased if you ask me, instead of dux she got some encouragement award.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeah whatever..year 11 dux is also an encouragement award. who cares about the other years? i had 32 absences and a suspension in yr 11...

is a roflcopter
HSC
i had 40 absences in year 12
:p

my principal wanted to stab me

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by nekkid
Highest UAI here... IMHO, the UAI would be the best judge, since all your effort is put into consideration... if it were by rank, all the "work" you did during STUVAC wouldn't amount to anything... now that would suck.
Odds are tho, if you put in enough effort throughout the year, and then a little bit more before the HSC, you're going to kill the exams anyway.

The very concept of Dux is the person who was most academically successful, not the person that put in the most effort. If I may deviate for a second:

http://us.st5.yimg.com/store4.yimg.com/I/demotivators_1771_2542323

And thus Dux should be highest UAI

miss_pie

HSC
ok this may be a stupid thing to say but i thought the schools didnt find out individual UAI marks... do they only find out those who kicked arse or something?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The schools dont find out your UAIs they rely on students telling them (and probably verification if they are dux)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ahhh well then it should be an interesting case at my school. there is this girl who i bet is gonna get around 99.90-100 (she has consistently gotten between 96-100 in ALL her prelims and so far has been racking up high high nineties in ALL her subjects and she does 4u eng and 4u maths and all that) and i know for a fact that she will NEVER disclose her UAI...i can't wait to see how this turns out...

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Ours was based on ranks, but the same girl would have gotten dux had it been based on UAI.

I wouldn't like the idea of dux being based on UAI though, because that would unfairly rule out students who opted not to get one.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
thats a good point actually..i never thought of it that way...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If you can get dux why wouldnt you want a UAI unless you are doing 4 category B courses.

Because of the few number of students in the school it is hard to scale exams properly, and rankings doesnt work because you get small classes or easy classes.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yep, uac administers nsw and act uni entries, which is why we can apply to anu quite easily, whereas to monash requires going through vtac.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
how come u only found out today...didn't u go to speech night?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
how come u only found out today...didn't u go to speech night?
Well, I knew that I'd gotten Dux, but today was the first time the actual award 'ceremony' (part of the annual presentation) was mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)