Dux of year 12 (1 Viewer)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I was just wondering, does every school have a dux for year 12?
if there is, as there usually is, what is that basis for it? Is it based on a prediction of who will get the top UAI or based on your internal assessment marks in school.

Cause in my school there was no dux for some reason this year but there was previously.

princess b*

i thought every skool had a dux!!! how our system works is that the person with the highest UAI is the dux (they get their name put on the board etc). but at our formal we had an award for the internal 'dux'/academic acheivment which was solely on internal. this yr it was split between 3 ppl and i was one!! pretty surprised but stoked as well.

i just asumed that evry skool had their dux off their highest UAI??

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
as far as i know we don't have a dux for anything. The school doesn't get told the UAI anyway.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
well, congratulations! :)

We have a dux, but I'm pretty sure it's calculated in a different way to the way the HSC results are. For one thing, I don't think there's scaling, so easy subjects are weighted in the same way as harder subjects. For the last few years at least, the dux of our school hasn't received the highest UAI in the school.

That's just my school, of course.

Fi

we had a DUX, actually we had 2
Anyway, the school determines it by giving each student points based on their rank, e.g. If you rank first in a subject then you get 5 points, if u rank 2nd u get 4 (or something), blah, blah, blah,
so basically, the DUX is the person who ranked top in most of their subjects.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Not sure if we had a dux, someone from my school, back me up here ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
hehe, I just found out that the school hasn't determined a year 12 dux at my school because they don't know everyone's UAI's. So I think that they will give the dux award to the person who scores the highest UAI

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
At my school (Manly selective), the dux is simply awarded to the person that achieved the highest UAI, and so every year, at the formal presentation night, the duxes from the previous yr recieve the award (coz the UAI results come after the annual presentation night)

Christine

beige member
HSC
our dux is based on the person with the highest unmoderated assesment marks..

jessika

law chicky
HSC
at my school its the person that they think will achieve the highest uai and has high rankings in all their classes etc, and its sorta like the uai in the way the take into account if the subject you do is deemed hard or not.

Then at the year 12 presentation theres also an award for whoever achieved the highest uai the year before.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
That was the way they calculated the dux at our school. They used to predict who would get the top UAI and who had good rankings in all their subjects. Of course it would be a bit embarassing for the school if the person they awarded dux didn't get the top UAI.

But now I think they've changed the system. They wait until the UAI's come out and award dux to the person with the top UAI. But the thing is that students may not want to tell the school their UAI.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
I dont think Ill tell the school no matter what I get hehehe, keep them wondering.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
hehe even if I did get the top UAI I might not tell the school. They could never find out :) :D

kaseita

lol, just to spite them? hehe, what did they ever do to you :p

but...but then you miss out on all the goodies they give you as a dux! (well, depends where you go)

what do dux's get anyway?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
At my school dux gets $100 book voucher hehe lol thats my incentive to want to get it, hopefully by getting the top UAI in my school

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
I have no idea how they work out the dux at my school. I don't even know who is the dux because I never turn up to any of those assemblies. Actually, I don't think they've even had presentation night yet.

the dux is the person who sucks up the most to the school principal and all their teachers. has to be a prefect, preferably a school captain or a vice captain. With a long list of extracurricular activities.

Then there's subject dux for people who top a subject.

duxes get their name on a bit of polished shiny wood when they get around to it. and probably a trophy or somethin.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
Not sure if we had a dux, someone from my school, back me up here ...
Cunningham, hands down, based on internals. :p Don't know whether there's an official recognition/award tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)