• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Easiest and Hardest UoS? (1 Viewer)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
What is the easiest and hardest Unit of Study you have taken so far?

Why?

(Please provide more than a "I'm just not good at this subject" explanation.)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hardest, MATH1901 by far, advanced subject, shit lecture notes, 8 am lectures = all evil

Easiest...hmm PHYS1500 (astronomy) was fairly basic, could be learned out of the textbook, but the test ended up being more demanding than expected, PHIL1010 had shit essays, but they were marked quite highly and the exam was a doddle cause we were given the questions beforehand

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Hardest:

Introductory Macroeconomics

A lot of people might not agree with me, since they find Micro harder or as hard as Macro. I have a feeling that you really need to be really hardworking to do well in it. And by that I mean you need to read comprehensively to get it. So I guess if you're hardworking and read your stuff up-to-date, you might find it a breeze.

note: I have thought about majoring in Economics when I studied Microeconomics, not because I'm really good at it but because I found it interesting and logical (the questions seem like an "incomplete picture" that can be filled with matching colours). Macro.. I just couldn't "feel" it in me.

Easiest:

Business Information Systems

Some of the stuff taught here are based on the concepts/terms in Business Information Systems Foundations. The hardest part is the Group Project, but that would depend on your luck too. I liked it that they chose your group members for you, and that there were 5 members in one group so you're not doomed if you were to get a XXX partner in a group of 2.

Quizzes/exams were focused on material taught in lectures (so studying lecture notes might be sufficient for you) and the questions were quite straightforward.. ie no cunning pitthole for you to fall into and cry "ouch" about.

I guess there is something good about having 11 core subjects. If you hadn't done them, you wouldn't know that the "mysteriously interesting jurisdiction" could be your worst.. simply thinking "but..life's all about taking risks..and whatever subject I take, I'll hate it when I face the harder parts..so why waste time doing other subjects that I've never even touched/heard of?" then go ahead choosing the "seemingly fun one" as your major.. and after many years of trying to "love it", all you're left with is regret...but who knows, you might never realise your true interest if there were not enough "core subjects" for entry to realise your potential 'talent' or pet hate.

Libbster

HSC
hardest: Phys1901/1902 Seriously do not do advanced physics, the majority of lecturers (4 out of 6) are crap ie they don't explain stuff, we just had to copy stuff from the blackboard and no one knew what the lecturers were going on about half the time. Tutes are a waste of time, and sometimes the tutors don't even know what is going on. Also the exams are so hard, with lots of crazy questions thrown in. Too stressful! In other words, don't do this unit!

easiest: chem1901/1902 All of my lecturers (4) were extremely good, and my tutor was awesome. I could email him tons of questions and he would always help me out! If you practise past papers and generally study the lecture notes (i didn't go to a couple of lectures and still got a HD), you will go very well in this unit. Some people find organic chem hard, but if you memorise all the reactions, it becomes so much clearer!

tennille

HSC
Hardest: PHYS1901- I must have fluked this subject big time because I had no idea what they were on about.

Easiest: PHYS1500 (see one_wit's post), followed closely by STAT2012.

veridis

droog
HSC
easiest - psyc1002, just edges out psyc1001. both were great, mainly cause i love multiple choice exams. 1002 a little easier cause the main assignment was a very basic follow the steps one rather than 1st sems ultra confusing mindfulness thing and it was quite hard staying awake for some of 1001

hardest - hsty2691 Writing History - pure historical methodology, just asking to be hard. loooong and complex assignments. spending the whole sem trying to explain to explain to pomos there is a difference between claiming truth and objectivity are possible is different from claiming they are achievable for a historian at any level of detail. was always going to be hard but was still very enjoyable

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Easiest:
MKTG2002 - if you've done MKTG1001 with Paul Henry. You'll be used to his exam format. The subject is also very light on assessments, and is very enjoyable. It's not marked harshly, and the tutors (apart from Karem) are great! I got 90 in this subject, which is amazing for an economic and business fac. subject.

Hardest: GOVT1406 - no other subject has pissed me off more. the lecturer doesn't put up lecture notes. the tutors are morons. the marking is incredibly harsh. and worst of all, i learned nothing.

ECMT1010 - this was a hard one for me, as i hadn't done maths before. That's the main reason for its difficulty. Fuck GOVT1406.

re: INFS - hmmm im considering doing it just to get an HD. Did you get an HD, latvia? Do you have to design a website or something?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Easiest:
Engineering Computing. Got 89 in it without really trying.

Hardest:
Toss up between Complex Analysis and Engineering Dynamics.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Easiest:
Orchestral Studies 1-4- you only need to play in orchestra twice a week for 6 hours. Not that hard. xD

Hardest:
Cello Major- because there's just so much damn work to do, 4 hours practice a day is hard to fit in with uni.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Easiest - PSYC1001. Most awesome subject I've taken. Good lecturers and so goddamn easy to get marks.

Hardest - Econ1002. I bombed this subject despite doing HSC eco. I find intermediate easier though :confused:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Easiest:
MKTG2002 - if you've done MKTG1001 with Paul Henry. You'll be used to his exam format. The subject is also very light on assessments, and is very enjoyable. It's not marked harshly, and the tutors (apart from Karem) are great! I got 90 in this subject, which is amazing for an economic and business fac. subject.

Hardest: GOVT1406 - no other subject has pissed me off more. the lecturer doesn't put up lecture notes. the tutors are morons. the marking is incredibly harsh. and worst of all, i learned nothing.

ECMT1010 - this was a hard one for me, as i hadn't done maths before. That's the main reason for its difficulty. Fuck GOVT1406.
what does GOVT1406 have to do with ECMT 1010?? LOL!

stazi said:
re: INFS - hmmm im considering doing it just to get an HD. Did you get an HD, latvia? Do you have to design a website or something?
The "easiest" one I mentioned should be different from the one you're considering doing. You're thinking about INFS 1000 (Business Information Systems Foundations), right? That to me, is actually harder than INFS 2001 (Business Information Systems), the one I wrote about. But for people with quite an extensive background knowledge in IS (Yeah Stazi I know ur 100% l33t!) it could be a different story.. and I didn't get a HD for either of them. It's not my highest score but I don't think one's grades necessarily measure the easiness/hardness of a subject.

INFS 2001 seemed comparatively easier maybe cuz what you learned in INFS helps your understanding in INFS 2001 (some parts overlap).

Yes I did have to design a website for 1000 (that's the group-of-2 project) but the true focus of it wasn't the technical aspects.....they focus more on the material you put up on your webpage.. so even if you made a site that WOWs ppl at first sight you won't necessarily get a high mark for that.

When I did it, we had to do an annotated bibliography, a website, a spreadsheet (this was difficult in terms of time constraints + being an in-class assessment..but luckily it was only counted 5%) and a database task (then final exam).. but for the following semester they seemed to reduce it to just 3 assessments then final. (think they eliminated the spreadsheet task but I'm not sure....)

When people tell you it's easy, they probably meant it's easy to "pass" this subject. I kinda remember the lecturer(s) saying they won't make the exam extremely difficult (they're not trying to trick you or trap you into failing) and it's not difficult to pass, but to get a D or HD you need to really answer the questions deeply (showing that ur not just bullshitting along). The students, when studying this subject might tell you "OMG DIZ IS LYKE the hardest subject I'm studying right now" but after finals and results they would say it's easy....but next time you can ask them..ok did you get a HD?

:wave: nice, I wrote so much and you read it all! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)